• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Chasing the Historic Snowfall Season 0f 1995-96

40/70 Benchmark

I now have 76" of snow on the season and at this point in 1996, I had 73.5...however we had a moderate event commencing on this night 15 years ago and I totaled 5" the next day....so I am soon to be trailing that historically prolific season by a mere 2.5"....78.5"-76"

It is crucial for me to pad a lead on 1996 during the course of the next 3 weeks because it only totaled 9" for the month of Feb, after tmw; however that year rocked it's way through March (25.5") and APRIL (14") en route to an astounding 127.5".

I have already ecliped that season in one respect, as my current depth of 33" exceeds the max depth of that season by a good 6".....I nnow pose the question, how is the bout of these two heavy weights evolving in your locale....

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think 73.5" to date for Logan in 1996. I have 73" and Logan 70.5 or so.

We may need help in April, but if we can rock through March, that would be good. It's going to be a monumental task for many, especially if we have a reprieve during the second half of Feb. However, if this weekend and next week somehow manage to come through, then that may allow Logan to catch up, as the record there is 107.6"

I think 73.5" to date for Logan in 1996. I have 73" and Logan 70.5 or so.

We may need help in April, but if we can rock through March, that would be good. It's going to be a monumental task for many, especially if we have a reprieve during the second half of Feb. However, if this weekend and next week somehow manage to come through, then that may allow Logan to catch up, as the record there is 107.6"

It looks like we don't get a reprieve in Feb at all. as the AO and NAO tank Donny baseball FTW

Depending on how the first few weeks of the month goes BDL may have a shot at the record, pretty close to 80'' on the year...just need about 36'' or so...certainly within reach.

I would be funny if they break their all time record within the difference of their bogus Boxing Day total. Just add another sham record to the books.

I do not know what the spfd area recieved during that winter but i am sure it was up around one hundred inches so we still got about forty to go...thats a lot of snow for this area..

when i lived in bristol ct back for that winter we had over 105 inches...max snow depth after jan blizz was right around two feet...bristol right now i believe is well over sixty inches for the season to date..wow..la epic for sure

It looks like we don't get a reprieve in Feb at all. as the AO and NAO tank Donny baseball FTW

That's why I said IF. There are signs of an east based -nao, but if the PV goes too far west, it might not matter. The next week to 10 days should be critical to see if models still keep the cold. It may very well turn into a gradient pattern where Canada is frigid and sne lies near the storm track, that could be a good thing.

I do not know what the spfd area recieved during that winter but i am sure it was up around one hundred inches so we still got about forty to go...thats a lot of snow for this area..

Westover (CEF)/Chicopee Falls is climate station for Springfield...their records are hard to find online unfortunately. I'm pretty sure CEF recorded a similar total to BDL that winter, but I don't know the exact number.

I now have 76" of snow on the season and at this point in 1996, I had 73.5...however we had a moderate event commencing on this night 15 years ago and I totaled 5" the next day....so I am soon to be trailing that historically prolific season by a mere 2.5"....78.5"-76"

It is crucial for me to pad a lead on 1996 during the course of the next 3 weeks because it only totaled 9" for the month of Feb, after tmw; however that year rocked it's way through March (25.5") and APRIL (14") en route to an astounding 127.5".

I have already ecliped that season in one respect, as my current depth of 33" exceeds the max depth of that season by a good 6".....I nnow pose the question, how is the bout of these two heavy weights evolving in your locale....

Did the event 15 years ago occur on a Friday night? The storm gelled at the eleventh hour and it dumped 8 inches in Queens where I was at. Anyone recall how much the South Coast and Cape picked up?

This winter is superior to 95-96 simply because of the duration of ridiculous amounts of snow cover.  Things thawed out bigtime in Jan and Feb of that winter. That said, let's do a thorough comparison, shall we? 95-96, I recall measuring roughly 125-130" of snow in Ridgefield, just south of Danbury.

95-96 near DXR:

1" mid Nov.

4" early Dec... lots of ice at the end

5.5" later Dec... snow to sleet

13" from big storm later in month

4" pre blizzard?

26" from blizz of 96

5" from snow to ice a week later

6" from Feb storm early on

That is my recollection... may be missing a few inches here and there but that winter I had a shoveling business so I recall many of the events (and I was a total weenie, too, lol)

I don't live in Ct. anymore but this winter, we have seen about 65" near DXR... which is on par with 95-96.... but it started later but has not contained any major thaws... for NYC, I think this winter is ahead of 95-96. But this is a NE thread so I won't go there. :)

This winter is superior to 95-96 simply because of the duration of ridiculous amounts of snow cover.  Things thawed out bigtime in Jan and Feb of that winter. That said, let's do a thorough comparison, shall we? 95-96, I recall measuring roughly 125-130" of snow in Ridgefield, just south of Danbury.

95-96 near DXR:

1" mid Nov.

4" early Dec... lots of ice at the end

5.5" later Dec... snow to sleet

13" from big storm later in month

4" pre blizzard?

26" from blizz of 96

5" from snow to ice a week later

6" from Feb storm early on

That is my recollection... may be missing a few inches here and there but that winter I had a shoveling business so I recall many of the events (and I was a total weenie, too, lol)

I don't live in Ct. anymore but this winter, we have seen about 65" near DXR... which is on par with 95-96.... but it started later but has not contained any major thaws... for NYC, I think this winter is ahead of 95-96. But this is a NE thread so I won't go there. :)

Dan to be honest I couldn't agree more....this winter could not produce another flake and I think that it would be #1 in my book.....I'd trade several occurences of 5" depths for weeks over 2'.

Anyone know where I can find yearly snowfall totals for BDR?

Did the event 15 years ago occur on a Friday night? The storm gelled at the eleventh hour and it dumped 8 inches in Queens where I was at. Anyone recall how much the South Coast and Cape picked up?

http://climate.usurf.usu.edu/products/data.php

Dan to be honest I couldn't agree more....this winter could not produce another flake and I think that it would be #1 in my book.....I'd trade several occurences of 5" depths for weeks over 2'.

Yep, snowcover FTW... we had 2 incredibly warm Jan thaws that year (50s and rain/Severe T-storm Warnings FTL) ... the first one didn't wipe out the entire snowpack but the 2nd one did... then we built a 12"+ snowpack again in Feb only to have it re-washed by rain/warmth late month only to have March absolutely rock. 2 April storms, too. So 95-96 may have an edge in total accums (remains to be seen) and sheer number and variety of storms... but this winter has a combination of persistent cold and epic dumpage that hasn't been seen in my lifetime. It's uncanny and totally unprecedented.

2-3' snowpack all the way to the coast in SNE is not something you expect to see for weeks on end. And that's what 2010-11 has been alllllllllll about, broseph.

Snowman.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifSnowman.gif

Anyone know where I can find yearly snowfall totals for BDR?

Hi Wiz...

Here's where you go for this:

http://www.weather.g...dex.php?wfo=okx

Click on "Preliminary monthly climate data", then Bridgeport. Once there, click on "Archived data," and the slide bar with previous months will turn on. Then click the months you want and "go." Another window will open with the prelim F6 form.

I got the data so far:

Nov 0.4

Dec 12.0

Jan 42.0

Feb 2.0 (through yesterday)

Total: 56.4

Sound OK to you?

--Turtle ;)

Archived