• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Chasing the Historic Snowfall Season 0f 1995-96

40/70 Benchmark

We'll almost certainly need a 2nd HECS this season to have any chance at '95-'95. Still needing over 40" with the first week of March looking pretty "bleh" will have us relying on a monster. I suppose we could get the equally rare combo of three more 10"+ storms that late in the season with a nickle or two thrown in...years like '58, '56 and '67 pulled off something close to that.

I'm confident that I'll finish #3 with a shot @ #2, but I agree that 95-96 is a reach because 96 had an huge 1st week of march that won't be replicated.

Then of course we had that insane 2nd week of April...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confident that I'll finish #3 with a shot @ #2, but I agree that 95-96 is a reach because 96 had an huge 1st week of march that won't be replicated.

Then of course we had that insane 2nd week of April...

I'm think we'll fall into about the #5 slot here...#5 is currently 104.3" in 1960-1961....I think we'll pass that, but we won't catch the current #4 of 114.3" in 2004-2005. Of course, there's a tight bunch between #5 and #10 so we could still easily not make the top 10.

1. 1995-1996......132.9"

2. 1992-1993......120.1"

3. 2002-2003......117.3"

4. 2004.2005......114.3"

5. 1960-1961......104.3"

6. 2000-2001......102.1"

7. 1993-1994......100.2"

8. 1971-1972......99.3"

9. 1947-1948......98.5"

10. 1957-1958....97.5"

Given that there's a 10" gap between #4 and #5, I figure that's probably the easiest place to slot into.

When all is said and done, this winter is likely going to go down as a much colder version of 2005, which is likely going to rate it a bit better than 1996 and will render it my fav winter.

The combo this year is just fantastic. Throw in some insanity conditions, best ever. That's you, me, Jerry, Garth, Labiator,ha! and a bunch others calling it the overall winter of our lives, with Jerry at 64 and me 54 and you guys thats saying something, and it's not over .

I think there are two things that this winter lacks on it's resume, relative to my locale:

1: An ice event...good luck :lol: It will have a shot, tmw morning.

2: A heavy cement bomb.

I wanted a 20"er (really a 24"er, but whatever)

You got that, I came up short

I also wanted a decent WINDEX (got that)

Did not expect the thunderstorm on the 18th (bonus)

A long duration event (not really)

Still a good winter so far. 1 month to go

The over performing clipper we just had will make it feel a little better since the slump in mid February, but it was still in February and doesn't count as a good end of year event yet in my book. March needs to have a respectable month for me to consider this being a top 3 winter. Other areas can probably have a dud March and still call it epic, but my snow total just isn't high enough yet to bring it to that level. Relative to climo.

I think there are two things that this winter lacks on it's resume, relative to my locale:

Both shots look possible, my check list is complete, seriously, only thing left would be a three footer but that's really unreasonable. ALL of my winter checklist done with added unexpected items. I still can not believe I hit 38 inches of depth, blows my mind.

The over performing clipper we just had will make it feel a little better since the slump in mid February, but it was still in February and doesn't count as a good end of year event yet in my book. March needs to have a respectable month for me to consider this being a top 3 winter. Other areas can probably have a dud March and still call it epic, but my snow total just isn't high enough yet to bring it to that level. Relative to climo.

Yeah right now it's number 3 or so for me, but that's currently. If March goes to crap, it goes down a notch.

I missed both the big blizzard on 12/26 and the Tip blue snow bomb on 1/12-1/13 because of work, but I wonder if I would have enjoyed the wet snow event more. That was really impressive.

Yeah right now it's number 3 or so for me, but that's currently. If March goes to crap, it goes down a notch.

Yeah if I only look at "to date", this winter is near the top....but almost all the heavy hitters had a great Mar or Mar/Apr combo. The exception being '02-'03. And given this year is likely to have a dud week 1 of March, it becomes a bit more urgent to get something after that. A lot of the historic years did some big time damage in week 1 of March and this one won't unless that weekend system changes big time.

• 1 month later...

Archived