• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 8

Hoosier

IND really looks to be in a bad spot, round two is about to commence there 0.4" ice already w/limbs coming down. With a forecast of 0.5-0.9" additional ice w/wind gusts up to 35-40 mph. Absolutely brutal combination. Won't take long after the second batch arrives to start seeing major problems in that area.

You're talking 1.5" total...bad but nothing epic if it weren't for the wind.

I've been through three "so-called major" ice storms. Only one of them was truly horrific in that it caused the utility company to replace every power pole and caused some people to lose their homes due to structural failure.

That said, there wasn't much wind during that storm. I'm wondering how you equate 1.5" with that kind of wind to 4.0" or so with maybe 5-10mph winds.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

light freezing drizzle about 20 mimnutes ago in indy. didn't last long...glazed my windshield a bit. now have a little freezing mist. main roads in indy are decent but side roads have packed sleet.

Not much longer before the action will quickly pickup. Just glad not to have to worry about being on the streets, going to get ugly pretty fast I think..

Generally speaking the heavy snow bands tend to weaken after it is fully occluded and before triple point cyclogenesis gets underway. So there will be a "lull" (lull here being an extremely relative term) before the next one cranks up. You're still looking at a beautiful deformation band either way.

ok thanks for that

helps very much :)

It's definitely looking like that could very well come to pass. :(

Yeah.

Maybe south of Indy get spared a little? Seems the surface temps are rising and moving north a bit. Going to be close. Indy on north...eh.

Wind driven sleet here right now, still a few strays as well.

Yeah.

Maybe south of Indy get spared a little? Seems the surface temps are rising and moving north a bit. Going to be close. Indy on north...eh.

Wind driven sleet here right now, still a few strays as well.

Yeah, it looks like the southern counties will go over to rain this evening.. I feel that's when our FZRA will start in earnest then..

Hearing a few pingers on the window..

Snowing lightly here with pretty gusty wind. It's too bad we only got about 1 lousy inch of snow from the WAA event. I had been thinking we'd end up with a storm total about the same as Madison, but it appears they got a big head start with several WAA inches. I'm thinking in the 8-10 inch range for the main storm. If only this thing came another 50-100 miles nw.

Well isht is starting to hit the fan here...as this puppy is getting underway for LAF. Ping, ping, stray flake, ping, ping...

Seems like we've tracking this thing for a month. :arrowhead:

Good luck to those in the snow zone. May your wildest dreams come true. :thumbsup:

And to those in the ice zone, stay safe and let's hope for the best. :)

Yeah getting a lot of sleet. Wind starting to crank too.

I can't see IND's forecast verifying for us.

This will be catastrophic if ice goes over an inch - the forecast doesn't sound good. Will be curious what 1-2 wide county area ends up with the highest damage.

Snowing here now - can't believe how strong the winds are already. Impressed - we are in a fairly open area.

Beau,

Since you know this stuff very well and know historic systems, how do you compare (damage-wise) what could happen in Indy with what occurred under the lighter winds but heavier accretions that occurred in the 1994 storm? The worst-affected cities in 1994 were places like Oxford, MS but when I think of that type of damage in a city like Indianapolis....it's a sobering thought.

This will be catastrophic if ice goes over an inch - the forecast doesn't sound good. Will be curious what 1-2 wide county area ends up with the highest damage.

Snowing here now - can't believe how strong the winds are already. Impressed - we are in a fairly open area.

Up here in the plains (North of Peoria and Bloomington), you get 30-35 mph winds about any day all year round!

Yeah, it looks like the southern counties will go over to rain this evening.. I feel that's when our FZRA will start in earnest then..

Hearing a few pingers on the window..

Good, very good. One other good thing, is this thing is relatively hauling. Dry slot really not too far away from STL. Of course to what degree it fills in will determine a lot. I'm trying to effort a few optimistic thoughts right now...

Fired up the snowblower about an hour ago to clear the end of the driveway. With NE winds at 25, what I blew was blown right back...if that makes sense. Very light LES right now and the wind gusts are howling at my location about 26 blocks from Lake Michigan. Once the main event starts, will get pictures posted.

19-23F in Indy metro with freezing rain. Ouch ouch ouch. Talk about extremely efficient accretion with no run-off.

Indeed. Anectodally speaking, it seems like most of Indiana's ice storms occur with surface temps in the 28-32 range. This one is colder in some areas so not much will go to waste. Bad bad bad.

Archived