northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 8

Hoosier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi-res agreement on 1.75+ all snow is mindblowing this close to an event.

And likely overdone. Hi-res models have a pretty high bias for heavy precip amounts....just keep that in mind. Look at the hi-res guidance for structure/potential, not QPF amounts.

And likely overdone. Hi-res models have a pretty high bias for heavy precip amounts....just keep that in mind. Look at the hi-res guidance for structure/potential, not QPF amounts.

Yeah, that 1.3 to 1.5 range for ORD that we've been talking about over the past couple of days is looking pretty good still. Could certainly get some spots with more than that, but nigh impossible to tell exactly where.

Except the mesoscale models have been largely in agreement for the past several DAYS of the potential for 1.2-1.5"+ QPF values. In some cases, the mesoscale models have predicted higher QPF totals than the hi-res models have over the past 24-48 hours. The juice is there, some areas WILL see 1.5"+ total liquid.

Issues on the south side of the Indy metro area..

1230 PM ICE STORM PARAGON 39.39N 86.56W

02/01/2011 MORGAN IN FIRE DEPT/RESCUE

TREES ALREADY COMING DOWN ACROSS MORGAN COUNTY DUE TO THE

WEIGHT OF THE ICE. EMERGENCY CREWS HAVING DIFFICULT TIME

KEEPING UP.

1235 PM FREEZING RAIN 1 E BROOKLYN 39.54N 86.35W

02/01/2011 M0.25 INCH MORGAN IN NWS EMPLOYEE

SOME SURFACES HAVE AS MUCH AS 3/8 INCH ICE ACCRUAL.

Issues on the south side of the Indy metro area..

1230 PM ICE STORM PARAGON 39.39N 86.56W

02/01/2011 MORGAN IN FIRE DEPT/RESCUE

TREES ALREADY COMING DOWN ACROSS MORGAN COUNTY DUE TO THE

WEIGHT OF THE ICE. EMERGENCY CREWS HAVING DIFFICULT TIME

KEEPING UP.

1235 PM FREEZING RAIN 1 E BROOKLYN 39.54N 86.35W

02/01/2011 M0.25 INCH MORGAN IN NWS EMPLOYEE

SOME SURFACES HAVE AS MUCH AS 3/8 INCH ICE ACCRUAL.

axesmiley.png

Going to be a long night...

figured as much, chop off a half inch and my call is still looking good.

It's obvious that northern and western IL are going to get a boatload of snow. I am, however, right along the line between the heavy snow and sleet/ice. Given what all of you know (which is much more than me), what is your prediction for Macon County, in central Illinois (between Spfld and Champaign)? To me it looks like we're getting mostly sleet/ice, but they keep saying we're going to get 8-12 inches of snow. Thoughts?

Except the mesoscale models have been largely in agreement for the past several DAYS of the potential for 1.2-1.5"+ QPF values. In some cases, the mesoscale models have predicted higher QPF totals than the hi-res models have over the past 24-48 hours. The juice is there, some areas WILL see 1.5"+ total liquid.

It's possible...and at least you use the word potential. I'm just making the point that in general, numerical models (even global) tend to have a pretty nasty high bias for heavy/high threshold precip. events [verification stats bear this out]. Some areas will get dumped on more than others, but the models tend to under-do the spatial variability.

KBMI 011725Z 05020KT 1/4SM R29/2200V3000FT +SN SCT001 OVC009 M09/M10

Heard 3 vehicle in ditch reports in the last 5 minutes in that area. Now I feel vindicated that I didn't go in today.

Snow started here in Eureka around 11AM. Already a dusting and wind is swirling it off the nearby roofs.

Archived