• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Is an average amount of snow enough for you?

HoarfrostHubb

This past winter I totalled 76" or so of snow. I think this was right around, or maybe even a little above what I would average here over the long term.

Was I happy?

Not really. Would you be happy if you were "guaranteed" an average seasonal snowfall for your location?

The amounts for me are not always important... it's the style baby!

dave you are on a roll with starting threads

good question.

last year i would have been happy with 10 inches.

to me it is more than AVE snowfall. MY ideal would be ONE KU....with a ton of 3-5 inch snowfalls. I like to see the snow falling. And so long i can ski this year i just want to SEE it SNOW a lot. That means i'd rather have it snowing during the day....and many many smaller events. But everyear i would like one good dumping. Of course this could change next year or even this year LOL

I think the way it happened last year was what left a bitter taste in my mouth at the end. I ended up almost exactly average as well. But there's different ways to get it.

My total was very similar to the 2005-2006 total but I would have taken '05-'06 in a heart beat over this past winter. When you are getting teased a lot and then watch areas close by get jackpotted while you miss out, its a lot worse.I've enjoyed winters where it was around average, such as that '05-'06 winter.

I think the way it happened last year was what left a bitter taste in my mouth at the end. I ended up almost exactly average as well. But there's different ways to get it.

My total was very similar to the 2005-2006 total but I would have taken '05-'06 in a heart beat over this past winter. When you are getting teased a lot and then watch areas close by get jackpotted while you miss out, its a lot worse.I've enjoyed winters where it was around average, such as that '05-'06 winter.

Snow envy in ORH, once in a lifetime Average is good for me, just give me one good heavy and it's good. Too many years in the past of well below make me appreciate the average ones all the more. It is an unsatiable sickness though I admit, worse than a junkie.

Yes. Anything else is unreasonable to wish for. Theres a reason your average is your average.

+1. I never get why people get upset with average snowfall... climo is climo and you can't change it so you might as well live with it. The other option is do what a few of us have done and move to a place with a higher average.

This is why i have been so upset this week because in a winter that most feel has only limited duration of wintry wx..I want to maximize any and all potential..so we can at least approach avg

What we miss in Novie will be made up in March but I understand your point. Then again it is Nov 24 sort of like the first week of April on the opposite end

Average is fine, but there are certainly ways that "average" can be more exciting. For instance maybe I get 43" of snow, but one storm was an 18" event, and we had a stretch of 4-7" events accompanied by big cold so that it stayed around. Last year I came close to my official normal, but the way I achieved it was awfully boring.

Snow envy in ORH, once in a lifetime Average is good for me, just give me one good heavy and it's good. Too many years in the past of well below make me appreciate the average ones all the more. It is an unsatiable sickness though I admit, worse than a junkie.

Haha... I have noticed this fall that last winter left a really bad taste in a lot of SNE posters. Up here in NNE we were never all that close to the mid-Atlantic snow bombs so it wasn't that hard to accept. Our neighbors (SNE) were like us at average or even a bit below... whereas SNE was teased over and over as the mid-Atlantic cleaned up.

We were never really in the game last winter but I did get to see a few awesome storms. I was in Burlington for the record 34" freak storm and got two feet of mashed potatoes in the late February event... I was quite pleased with last winter even though it was poor overall. BTV had 90-100" of snow thanks to early January, so overall it will go down as an above average season.

What we miss in Novie will be made up in March but I understand your point. Then again it is Nov 24 sort of like the first week of April on the opposite end

Given the fact that most of the long range guys are telling us Jan and Feb are lost causes this yr..I wanted to get an early start and have some decent snow next week

Given the fact that most of the long range guys are telling us Jan and Feb are lost causes this yr..I wanted to get an early start and have some decent snow next week

Maybe it's just a week delayed? I am not concerned that the LR guys who concentrate on the entire country are pessimistic, saying that, it seems they all agree we do better than most.

Haha... I have noticed this fall that last winter left a really bad taste in a lot of SNE posters. Up here in NNE we were never all that close to the mid-Atlantic snow bombs so it wasn't that hard to accept. Our neighbors (SNE) were like us at average or even a bit below... whereas SNE was teased over and over as the mid-Atlantic cleaned up.

We were never really in the game last winter but I did get to see a few awesome storms. I was in Burlington for the record 34" freak storm and got two feet of mashed potatoes in the late February event... I was quite pleased with last winter even though it was poor overall. BTV had 90-100" of snow thanks to early January, so overall it will go down as an above average season.

Getting a foot of mashed potatoes was nice on Feb 24...but having the retrobomb storm that rained on most of New England directly after it muted the excitement for me. March was absolutely pathetic...given the blocking, we should have seen some good snow events in March.

Well average is not really enough for me but what I've had to deal with for the past four winters (except 07-08) I will KILL for an average season.

I think that's the feeling amongst all of us..lol.

I appreciate the last 18 years or so, immensely. I finally lived through the winters that my folks always talked about. I saw what it was like to walk through quad deep snow and witnessed automobiles getting buried before my eyes.

I think that's the feeling amongst all of us..lol.

I appreciate the last 18 years or so, immensely. I finally lived through the winters that my folks always talked about. I saw what it was like to walk through quad deep snow and witnessed automobiles getting buried before my eyes.

:lol:

You naughty man.

Average is about what I had last season, but it just seemed so worthless. Probably because I was looking at our winter through the context of what took place around the northern 1/2 of the east coast, and what it really meant - Epic snows in the M.A. . . . One major event for us that acounted for a good amount of the totals for the year, and to top it off, that ONE event happened earlier in the season, with the last 3rd of the season just plain sucking ass.

It's a tough question to answer, average depends on consistancy, longevity, etc.

Getting a foot of mashed potatoes was nice on Feb 24...but having the retrobomb storm that rained on most of New England directly after it muted the excitement for me. March was absolutely pathetic...given the blocking, we should have seen some good snow events in March.

I almost forgot that March is a snow month after the last couple of seasons... its getting to the point where I know we are due, but I don't even expect it to snow in March lol. Our last good March snow was 2007, I think. You guys down south got hit on March 2, 2009 (I think, but my memory is a lot more shady than yours) but that was so early in the month that it seemed more like February.

The retrobomb last season was disappointing as we started as snow but went to rain. Needless to say the snowpack gain during that time frame far out weighed the rain... even my 350 foot location at the time still came out with a 15 inch water-logged snowpack increase that at least made it look nice outside for a while.

But I agree, last season was "blah" even with the big storms I saw last season. Although the snowpack came in above normal, last winter had both the Mount Mansfield co-op and Stowe Mtn Resort reporting their lowest seasonal snowfall totals in the 7-8 years I've been here in VT, so that's saying something.

• 4 months later...

Archived