• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 5 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

CNYWxGuy

I was able to make my first snowball of the year without the aid of heat from my hands. Picked up a wad with gloves on and bullseyed the stop sign from 50' away! Snowman on the way tomorrow for the kids! :snowman::thumbsup:

6" total for the day, with light snow ATT...

Nice! overall not a bad event for you guys out toward SYR.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! overall not a bad event for you guys out toward SYR.

Yep....I used the old reverse phsycology, earlier in the thread,....calling for warmer air to give us (at best a couple inches)....either I bust and get 6" or so ( :):snowman: ) or I look good, sniffing out the dismal trends with the models....fortunately for most of us, the former worked out!

it's very localized. barrhavan and south Ottawa look to be getting hit harder than downtown.

I just got back from making a beer run, and we're getting smoked right now. I'd say that we've had about 2 inches so far, and the snow only got underway around 8 PM.

Ya, I just took a peak at the Ottawa radar, and you're right, the heavier bands are just a tad south of downtown Ottawa.

Cheers,

Scratch

6" here in southern oswego county and currently snowing pretty good still. What a wild day it has been. Rode snowmobile all day in sleet,Fz rain and a complete whiteout crazy day haha.

Did u ride in the Cato Trailblazers poker run. They had those trails groomed nice, huh?

It was a very nice WINDEX event that rolled through. I talked to Andy, The 12 HOUR delta-LI change was very impressive. Using the 12z sounding the Initial LI for GFL was 30.21. Fcst for 06-00z was 19.3. Which made for a

Change of 20.9..LL. temp change. When he talked to his newsroom they showed CG maxed out at 45 in 15 min period . Some of the cells even had a little rotation around GFL and ALB along with in a low-top line of convection. Not bad for Feb. :thumbsup:

It was a very nice WINDEX event that rolled through. I talked to Andy, The 12 HOUR delta-LI change was very impressive. Using the 12z sounding the Initial LI for GFL was 30.21. Fcst for 06-00z was 19.3. Which made for a

Change of 20.9..LL. temp change. When he talked to his newsroom they showed CG maxed out at 45 in 15 min period . Some of the cells even had a little rotation around GFL and ALB along with in a low-top line of convection. Not bad for Feb. :thumbsup:

I saw several mesocyclone markers on the Wunderground KENX radar when the convective line went through.

Congrats. Maybe an inch here in Ottawa. Monday's event looks to be a non-event here too.

well an inch isnt much but its better than the 0 that was expected, talk about a last minute event. too bad it couldnt trend a bit more.

my bigger concern is that we look to be heading into a rather mediocre pattern for possibly 2-3 weeks. intially quiet, and then hopefully we can stay enough on the cool side to stay below freezing and tack on some high frequenecy 2-4 type deals....if the pac zonal jetstream cooperates, and we dont develop too much ridging in the east, in that case we thaw and its over.

im hoping we can stay cold right throught the first 25 days of march after that with some bigger events. but we are going to have to 'survive' the next little while.

I see your band coming in from central NY on ENX radar... What is causing that.... deformation? cold front?

A combo of factors Rick..some deformation, very steep lapse rates above 700 due to a very steep sloped warm front approaching from the SSW. Check out the soundings from the 12z NAM218 for GFL. While not a classic WINDEX event the temp change aloft above 700 was incredible. I'll have to check theta-e values out on this as I think there may have been quite a decrease of them with height between 700 millibars and 500 millibars.

Same here. Lights went out for few seconds, heavy sleet-rain now back to heavy snow. Wild stuff

Same here...lost power 10 mins or so of lightning and thunder

The following are SkewT for GFL from the 05-12z Feb Run of the NAM :

Initial SkewT

Fcst SkewT for 06-00z for GFL from NAM218/12z Run:

SKEWT Initial for GFL from 18z NAM212 run :

FCST SkewT from above run for 06-00z:

Just for poops and giggles a funky looking forecast SkewT with some backed flow AOB .5Km:

A combo of factors Rick..some deformation, very steep lapse rates above 700 due to a very steep sloped warm front approaching from the SSW. Check out the soundings from the 12z NAM218 for GFL. While not a classic WINDEX event the temp change aloft above 700 was incredible. I'll have to check theta-e values out on this as I think there may have been quite a decrease of them with height between 700 millibars and 500 millibars.

Same here...lost power 10 mins or so of lightning and thunder

The following are SkewT for GFL from the 05-12z Feb Run of the NAM :

Initial SkewT

Fcst SkewT for 06-00z for GFL from NAM218/12z Run:

SKEWT Initial for GFL from 18z NAM212 run :

FCST SkewT from above run for 06-00z:

Just for poops and giggles a funky looking forecast SkewT with some backed flow AOB .5Km:

Very impressive.

We got a dusting here, but what an interesting storm. Started as sleet and then freezing rain driveway was a thick sheet of ice yesterday!) and then an awesome thunderstorm (counted about 12 lightning strikes with rumbly thunder) with a good coating of small pea sized hail and then a bit of snow and then more freezing rain and then strong winds and then 37F and sunny :sun: today so I could spend the whole day chopping ice and shoveling my porch roof. I actually enjoyed the warmth and sun and the opportunity to shovel the porch roof before it collapsed :thumbsup: Now I'm ready for some powder :snowman: to freshen up the snow pack.

Archived