• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 5 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

CNYWxGuy

how weird that the offices aren't quickly getting after the new guidance. Was there any sever 'initiation' issues. We WNY getting from .5- .75 or so, I could easily see a six inch snowfall. But no headlines. Roc still has 30% chance sat nite and sunday. ridiculous. Are they so gun shy after the last event that they'll never forecast snow again? LOL. Here in Roc on the L ontario S. shore we actually ended up w/ about 8 inches from the bust storm after L enhancement kicked in on Wednesday and eve. Not soo much of a bust- but not the 15-22 kevin Williams forecast. I'd settle for a 7 inch synoptic event. Worried about temps a bit. GFS back on track (kinda) w/ next weeks monster. RochesterDave

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. KSYR gets nailed by GEM/NAM/GOOFUS? Really?? Where'z 2slick? ;) not sure i'm a buyer but on the other hand, my stock trading mind has had me thinking that SYR/CNY is due for some reversion to the mean action...as most synoptics - and surprises have been east and south thusfar this winter...that can't last forever...nothing does.

Ive been watching this thing trend better and better the last 24hrs...I think its time to buy into things. It might actually pan out for once!

how weird that the offices aren't quickly getting after the new guidance. Was there any sever 'initiation' issues. We WNY getting from .5- .75 or so, I could easily see a six inch snowfall. But no headlines. Roc still has 30% chance sat nite and sunday. ridiculous. Are they so gun shy after the last event that they'll never forecast snow again? LOL. Here in Roc on the L ontario S. shore we actually ended up w/ about 8 inches from the bust storm after L enhancement kicked in on Wednesday and eve. Not soo much of a bust- but not the 15-22 kevin Williams forecast. I'd settle for a 7 inch synoptic event. Worried about temps a bit. GFS back on track (kinda) w/ next weeks monster. RochesterDave

they usually update their aviation section first

"CLEAR SKIES ACROSS THE REGION WILL SEE A VEIL OF HIGH CLOUDS MOVING

FOR THE OVERNIGHT HOURS...THEN LOWERING TO A MID DECK AROUND AFTER

10Z...BUT STILL VFR. VFR CONDITIONS WILL PERSIST THROUGH THE EARLY

AFTERNOON THEN A RAPIDLY DEEPENING LOW LIFTING NORTHEAST FROM THE

MID MISSISSIPPI VALLEY TO CENTRAL PA BY 00Z SUNDAY WILL BRING

QUICKLY DETERIORATING CONDITIONS TO LIFR IN MODERATE SNOW AND LOW

CEILINGS 22Z-23Z IN THE WEST AND AFTER 00Z FOR KART. LIFR WILL

CONTINUE THROUGH THE EVENING FOR MOST LOCALES...EVEN INTO THE

OVERNIGHT HOURS EAST OF LAKE ONTARIO.":snowman:

The numbers look good the only problem will be the temperatures; Right now, they will be marginal for the event.....But parts of central NY could see 4 inches maybe a bit more..As for the Hudson Valley I think 6-8 with localized spots maybe a bit more. GFL still looks like 2-4 inches. Parts of the Southern Tier will do very well. Earlier, I didn't think I would see any snow; but now I guess I could

see up to a couple of inches.

I was hoping for a solid 6 here too. Oh well it is what it is.

Good luck up there guys, If I didn't have kids-- I would have stayed a few more days.

Snowpack isn't great up there compared to other years I've been up there, but nonetheless, I just love driving around with snow all over. Even though that storm somewhat sucked-- I had 11 inches over 3 days--

With the last storm (moving in from the SW, and the models poor thermal progs right up to the event) I'm afraid that C/W NY is going to receive another dose of disappointment, wrt snowfall totals....as being forecast. Though most models depict llv profiles that keep a decent chunk of the W/C upstate region JUST cold enough for snow or frozen mixed with a little rain up to the I-90 corridor around SYR, this IMO, is still under done, wrt the warmth. That said, we should eventually change back to snow in most places (in the above mentioned areas) just later than progged....I see a couple back end inches around the SYR area, with a little more than that out toward BUF area, and in the SW southern tier.

North and NE of Oswego Co. look pretty safe for meeting minimum warning criteria snows.

Good luck to all! Another tough forecast with our tools malfunctioning a bit.....again....

With the last storm (moving in from the SW, and the models poor thermal progs right up to the event) I'm afraid that C/W NY is going to receive another dose of disappointment, wrt snowfall totals....as being forecast. Though most models depict llv profiles that keep a decent chunk of the W/C upstate region JUST cold enough for snow or frozen mixed with a little rain up to the I-90 corridor around SYR, this IMO, is still under done, wrt the warmth. That said, we should eventually change back to snow in most places (in the above mentioned areas) just later than progged....I see a couple back end inches around the SYR area, with a little more than that out toward BUF area, and in the SW southern tier.

North and NE of Oswego Co. look pretty safe for meeting minimum warning criteria snows.

Good luck to all! Another tough forecast with our tools malfunctioning a bit.....again....

dejavu all over again :devilsmiley::gun_bandana:

George is it possible that the convective parameterization changes made last year are affecting numerical models? I thought it was only a GFS change but NAM wasn't great last storm either. Probably a question for a pro doing the actual model coding.

Honestly, I think there are issues with most of the models' interpretation of the Appalachian mountains, or the handling of theta-e to the west of the mountains coming from the GOM....the new parameterizations seem to be doing fairly well along the EC during the recent storms, out that way.

Of course, that all being said, 12z NAM is a good 1.5 degrees cooler at 850 for W/C NY.....DON'T BITE!!

Honestly, I think there are issues with most of the models' interpretation of the Appalachian mountains, or the handling of theta-e to the west of the mountains coming from the GOM....the new parameterizations seem to be doing fairly well along the EC during the recent storms, out that way.

Of course, that all being said, 12z NAM is a good 1.5 degrees cooler at 850 for W/C NY.....DON'T BITE!!

hope HRRR is wrong lol :whistle:temp_t3850_f10.png

I'm becoming increasingly confident that the models will have a solid handle on today's snow event by tomorrow's 6Z runs....

Archived