• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 5 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

CNYWxGuy

Is anyone as impressed as I am with the recent accuracy of the models within 17 minutes of an event?

It's ugly here now. We had a half inch of sleet and now ZR. Glazed and roads are a sheet of ice. It has slowly edged up to 29F.

You gotta love the US models. Early yesterday they show most of this event southeast of here with maybe a little light snow. What did they blow this by 250-300 miles? :devilsmiley:

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the year of unrealized potential in this area. You can't really complain when you have around 60 inches of snow to date... but none of these events has put us in the bulls eye. We get the scraps every time, but it does add up.

Yeah the models can't handle this pattern very well right now.. I think the ukmet did the best though. Of course with the tuesday event when we need a shift north and west it just won't happen. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

This is the year of unrealized potential in this area. You can't really complain when you have around 60 inches of snow to date... but none of these events has put us in the bulls eye. We get the scraps every time, but it does add up.

Sounds just like BGM. Multitude of 1-4" LES events off Cayuga / Ontario, 1-4" clippers, 1-5" grazings from coastals etc. etc. We have already exceeded our Oct-Feb avg snowfall, so this month is pretty much house money from here on out. A well above avg December, above avg January, and solid start to February has set us up for a collision course with the 100" threshold, would be 1st time since 04-05.

Edit: Forgot about the 4-day LES event of 22.7 back in the 1st week of December. This was the same NWFE that blitzkrieged SYR and led to an all-time snowiest December on record.

Normalcy for a La Nina has returned in one sense. What can trend northwest will trend northwest. I'm watching the deformation setting up northwest of me when two days ago the models had it mainly southeast of here.

I don't think Tuesday is a foregone conclusion yet......

What an epic bust for EC. Apparently snowing heavily in Toronto. Hopefully some of that is moving my way.

Solid S+ here now...first heavy, synoptic ob of the season for my area.....vis down to about 1/4 mile or less!! Flake size is enormous!!

There is definately something to be said for Intellicast when it comes to defining snow-mix-rain lines. I don't know what algorithm(s) they employ, but by far and away the most accurate I've found anywhere. Your obs from that part of Onondaga Co. are confirmed nicely in the last frame or 2...

post-538-0-43325100-1296951385.gif

There is definately something to be said for Intellicast when it comes to defining snow-mix-rain lines. I don't know what algorithm(s) they employ, but by far and away the most accurate I've found anywhere. Your obs from that part of Onondaga Co. are confirmed nicely in the last few frames...

post-538-0-43325100-1296951385.gif

It was off by 30 miles here today as it is now it's turn back to snow.

Talked to a friend in Rome thunder lighting and sleet.

Another fine job by the models/tools and the mechanics who use them.:thumbsdown:

2 hr drive back from Syracuse 75 miles 13 cars either off the road or upside down. Fools!!!

Normalcy for a La Nina has returned in one sense. What can trend northwest will trend northwest. I'm watching the deformation setting up northwest of me when two days ago the models had it mainly southeast of here.

I don't think Tuesday is a foregone conclusion yet......

Unfortunately, there is a dry slot just west of ottawa. Hopefull that fills in. It would be a shame to miss out on a surprise storm. Toronto is being hit hard.

It was off by 30 miles here today as it is now it's turn back to snow.

Talked to a friend in Rome thunder lighting and sleet.

Another fine job by the models/tools and the mechanics who use them.:thumbsdown:

2 hr drive back from Syracuse 75 miles 13 cars either off the road or upside down. Fools!!!

Yea completely awful forcasts. It's a shame that nearly all pros just use the models like a noob like me could and noone saw what was really going to happen. We've torched to to 39.7° here currently.

Lightning in the distance here.

Archived