• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 5 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

CNYWxGuy

12z euro the 0 850 line goes from BGM-GFL-RUT then crashes southeast with decent snows for BGM ALB GFL and northeast.

Lol, nice edit. Any specifics as far as QPF? Also, another thing I've noticed is that despite the 850 0c line staying S / E of most of Upstate, the 540 thickness has been much further N / W on models like the UK / GGEM / RGEM. If the ECM is similar, I have to believe there is mixing concerns further N / W than the 850 0c line... atleast initially, especially with no real source of cold air to work with.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, having trouble finding info on the EURO...can anyone give a description of low placement and precip.

you get about 0.3

0.25 contour runs N-S up NYS about 30 miles west of I-81 approx towards oswego and then across east just S of ART and then across lake champlain

0.5 contour runs from just east of BGM to across Southern lake champlain.....

BGM

BOTTOM LINE...GIVEN ALL THE UNCERTAINTY...WE`VE FOLLOWED PRETTY

CLOSE TO HPC`S QPF/SNOWFALL (WHICH IS ALSO NOT FAR FROM BOTH THE

21Z SREF AND OUR PREVIOUS GRIDS). THUS...WE`RE "STICKING TO OUR

GUNS" AT THIS POINT...WITH A GENERAL 2-5" TOTAL IN OUR

SERN ZONES...WITH LESSER AMTS AS YOU HEAD TO THE N AND W.

ALTHOUGH SUCH AMTS ARE BORDERLINE ADVSY IN THE

CATSKILLS/POCONOS...WE`VE DECIDED TO NOT HOIST ANY FLAGS AT THIS

JUNCTURE...SO AS TO GIVE THE DAY CREW ONE MORE SHOT AT PERUSING A

FULL SET OF GUIDANCE (WHERE HOPEFULLY AGREEMENT WILL BE BETTER).

WE`VE CONTINUED TO HIGHLIGHT IN THE HWO.

The biggest issue that I'm noticing (and it is also reflected on the 18z NAM) is the critical thickness values, particularly across C / E NY prior to 0z Sun. It looks as though most areas might only see light precip for Saturday Afternoon, and coupled with what should be <10:1 ratios for this timeframe, I think most areas will probably be hard-pressed to collect more than inch or so before nightfall across this area.

I think for areas along / E of I-81 and south of the Dack's this is primarily going to be a Saturday Evening / Early Overnight event as temp profiles begin to cool and precip-rates increase as SLP begins to strengthen across SNE. I think this is going to translate to about a 3-8 hour period (Longest from W to E) of moderate snow with embedded bursts of locally heavier rates along / E of line from say BGM-SYR-Old Forge.

I think some of our E NY posters could be in for an interesting Saturday Evening / Overnight, particularly N / E of the CD. I might consider posting a snowfall forecast following atleast a few of the 0z runs if I have time.

The biggest issue that I'm noticing (and it is also reflected on the 18z NAM) is the critical thickness values, particularly across C / E NY prior to 0z Sun. It looks as though most areas might only see light precip for Saturday Afternoon, and coupled with what should be <10:1 ratios for this timeframe, I think most areas will probably be hard-pressed to collect more than inch or so before nightfall across this area.

I think for areas along / E of I-81 and south of the Dack's this is primarily going to be a Saturday Evening / Early Overnight event as temp profiles begin to cool and precip-rates increase as SLP begins to strengthen across SNE. I think this is going to translate to about a 3-8 hour period (Longest from W to E) of moderate snow with embedded bursts of locally heavier rates along / E of line from say BGM-SYR-Old Forge.

I think some of our E NY posters could be in for an interesting Saturday Evening / Overnight, particularly N / E of the CD. I might consider posting a snowfall forecast following atleast a few of the 0z runs if I have time.

good post

havent looked closely but at first glance,

very marginal event unless you are under heavier precip

Good post...Yeah...Looks like the CD will have a little bit of a mix tomorrow afternoon before it all changes over to snow....Looks like 4-8 is a good bet. But GFL looks to get maybe three to four inches, and north of there a trace to two inches Parts of the MV might get two inches.

As usual I will get nothing out of this. :thumbsdown:

KALB

12Z MODELS RUNS CAME IN SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT THAN PREVIOUS RUNS.

PCPN AMOUNTS ARE NOW RUNNING BETWEEN A THIRD AND THREE-QUARTERS OF

AN INCH FOR THE UPCOMING EVENT...WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS NOW

DISPLACED WELL NORTH OF WHERE IT HAD BEEN FORECAST OVER THE PAST FEW

DAYS. THEY HAVE ALSO BROUGHT ABOVE FREEZING MID LEVEL AIR MUCH

FURTHER NORTH...SO MIXED PCPN NOW EXPECTED TO MAKE IT AS FAR NORTH

AS THE CAPITAL DISTRICT AND SOUTHERN VERMONT BY SATURDAY EVENING.

MODELS HAVE ALSO SLOWED DOWN THE ARRIVAL OF THE PCPN...WITH FAIRLY

GOOD AGREEMENT THE ANY SIGNIFICANT PCPN WILL HOLD OFF UNTIL

AFTERNOON IN MOST PLACES.

GIVEN THE ABOVE INFO...HAVE ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH FOR SOUTHERN

VERMONT WHERE HEAVIEST PCPN IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR AND MAY ALSO LINGER

A LITTLE LONGER THAN ELSEWHERE. IN ALL OTHER AREAS IT APPEARS THAT

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORIES WILL LIKELY BE THE MOST APPROPRIATE

HEADLINE...BUT HELD OFF ISSUING ANY FOR NOW SINCE PCPN DOES NOT

ARRIVE IN MOST AREAS UNTIL EARLY OR MID AFTERNOON.

HAVE BROUGHT MIXED PCPN AS FAR NORTH AS THE EXTREME EASTERN PART OF

THE MOHAWK VALLEY...SARATOGA COUNTY TO SOUTHERN VERMONT. HAVE ALSO

FORECAST A POSSIBLE CHANGEOVER TO PLAIN RAIN OVER THE MID HUDSON

VALLEY AND LITCHFIELD COUNTY.

SNOW AMOUNTS WILL RANGE FROM 2 TO 9 INCHES...WITH THE HIGHEST

AMOUNTS FORECAST FOR SOUTHERN VERMONT. LOWEST AMOUNTS DOWN SOUTH

WHERE THE MOST MIXED PCPN OCCURS...AND OVER THE NW PART OF THE

ADIRONDACKS ZONES WHERE PCPN AMOUNTS WILL BE THE LOWEST. WHERE MIXED

PCPN IS FORECAST...ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF ONE TO TWO TENTHS HAVE BEEN

FORECAST.

Good post...Yeah...Looks like the CD will have a little bit of a mix tomorrow afternoon before it all changes over to snow....Looks like 4-8 is a good bet. But GFL looks to get maybe three to four inches, and north of there a trace to two inches Parts of the MV might get two inches.

As usual I will get nothing out of this. :thumbsdown:

0z NAM buries you

i cant believe how this thing wont stop trending lol

0z NAM buries you

i cant believe how this thing wont stop trending lol

Seriously, between the last event and this one... this is the most short-term model mayhem I've seen in a while. The 0z NAM just completely throws a wrench into everything as far as forecasts go. I just got done putting together a snowfall forecast graphic and was going to post it before I head out for the Evening in a bit, but I'm a bit leary now without seeing the rest of the 0z runs. :arrowhead:

post-538-0-82846900-1296872580.gif

LOL, by 06z the NAM will further dryslot us and we won't even need to worry much about mixed precip or rain...

This seems to get said every year, but I have never remembered such model fluctuations so close to events as I have this year.

Seriously, between the last event and this one... this is the most short-term model mayhem I've seen in a while. The 0z NAM just completely throws a wrench into everything as far as forecasts go. I just got done putting together a snowfall forecast graphic and was going to post it before I head out for the Evening in a bit, but I'm a bit leary now without seeing the rest of the 0z runs. :arrowhead:

post-538-0-82846900-1296872580.gif

Archived