• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 5 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

CNYWxGuy

Alright, I started the on-going storm thread and it begs to be the 1st synoptic curb-stomper of the winter for a good chunk of the region. The models have been toying with the idea of another system to affect the region this coming weekend, and it seems this potential could be on the increase. Personally, I don't have as strong of a feeling about this one being a noteworthy event across Upstate as I did when I started the thread for the current event, but perhaps my magic touch will bring home the bacon for a 2nd time in a row...

Here is what we have on the current run of models...

Euro...

post-538-0-57113500-1296499600.gif

Canadian...

post-538-0-23872400-1296499579.gif

GFS...

post-538-0-10316500-1296499590.gif

DGEX...

post-538-0-49139800-1296499566.gif

Discuss it up!

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HPC...

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

132 PM EST MON JAN 31 2011

VALID 12Z THU FEB 03 2011 - 12Z MON FEB 07 2011

FINAL...

THE BLOCKY...SPLIT FLOW...WITH THE EMERGENCE OF THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE ALONG THE SOUTHEAST COAST...IS LEADING THE MODELS A MERRY CHASE. THE 12Z/31 DETERMINISTIC MODELS OFFER A VARIETY OF POSSIBLE INTERACTIONS BETWEEN THE VARIOUS SHORTWAVES WENDING THEIR WAY THROUGH THE CONVOLUTED FLOW. THE GFS AND GEM GLOBAL BRING A WAVE NORTHWARD FROM THE EASTERN GULF OF MEXICO DAY 5...WITH THE UKMET KEEPING THE IMPULSE FLAT AND SHEARED. THE SYNOPTIC SET UP IS NOT THE BEST FOR A WELL DEVELOPED CYCLONE...SO FEEL THE LESS ENTHUSIASTIC ECENS MEAN USED FOR THE UPDATE PACKAGE SHOULD SUFFICE FOR THE FINAL ISSUANCE. ELSEWHERE...THE ROBUSTNESS OF THE ECENS MEAN SHOULD MITIGATE THE DISPARATE DIRECTIONS TAKEN BY ANY PARTICULAR DETERMINISTIC MODEL.

CISCO

HPC...

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

132 PM EST MON JAN 31 2011

VALID 12Z THU FEB 03 2011 - 12Z MON FEB 07 2011

FINAL...

THE BLOCKY...SPLIT FLOW...WITH THE EMERGENCE OF THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE ALONG THE SOUTHEAST COAST...IS LEADING THE MODELS A MERRY CHASE. THE 12Z/31 DETERMINISTIC MODELS OFFER A VARIETY OF POSSIBLE INTERACTIONS BETWEEN THE VARIOUS SHORTWAVES WENDING THEIR WAY THROUGH THE CONVOLUTED FLOW. THE GFS AND GEM GLOBAL BRING A WAVE NORTHWARD FROM THE EASTERN GULF OF MEXICO DAY 5...WITH THE UKMET KEEPING THE IMPULSE FLAT AND SHEARED. THE SYNOPTIC SET UP IS NOT THE BEST FOR A WELL DEVELOPED CYCLONE...SO FEEL THE LESS ENTHUSIASTIC ECENS MEAN USED FOR THE UPDATE PACKAGE SHOULD SUFFICE FOR THE FINAL ISSUANCE. ELSEWHERE...THE ROBUSTNESS OF THE ECENS MEAN SHOULD MITIGATE THE DISPARATE DIRECTIONS TAKEN BY ANY PARTICULAR DETERMINISTIC MODEL.

CISCO

they are basing that off last nights ECMensembles

which were well OTS

im sure todays are more exciting.

Kind of odd asking this in the midst of the current mega storm I know, but how is this looking for my region so far? Like Organizing Low I want to build our snowpack!

Well... this system certainly isn't going to rival this current event for anyone, BUT, things have been trending upward in the last couple days, both in terms of track and QPF. Right now, this is primarily a C / E NY event on the models... but thats not to say W / N NY and areas near the Int'l border couldn't pick up a couple inches from this. Of course, things could always keep trending more N / W and / or wetter with time, so everyone still needs to keep an eye on this system, especially C / E NY folks.

18z GFS rang in with it's wettest run so far for this event with 12-18 HR totals of...

post-538-0-63358800-1296607682.gif

Sounds pretty good..... But I read in the NYC thread that it gets to just off NJ and then shoots east to near the SNE benchmark. How bizarre is it that every single coastal storm this year heads ENE underneath them just in time for snow. We can't buy a low that continues north along the coast past NJ. LOL

This is a crazy year where every single storm has found a way to miss this area with the best snow, but yet most deliver enough so that seasonal snowfall and cover is quite good. And the people in the lowlands of the CD think they are having a very hard winter - having been lulled into a ""mid-south" mentality after six years since any winter was at or above normal.

ECM is a new england/ eastern NY special

although BGM and points east gets about 0.25

towards Logan gets about 0.5 in the CD

southern dacks 0.25-0.35 or so

Sounds pretty good..... But I read in the NYC thread that it gets to just off NJ and then shoots east to near the SNE benchmark. How bizarre is it that every single coastal storm this year heads ENE underneath them just in time for snow. We can't buy a low that continues north along the coast past NJ. LOL

This is a crazy year where every single storm has found a way to miss this area with the best snow, but yet most deliver enough so that seasonal snowfall and cover is quite good.

it is truly amazing for them

really for the last month, there has been nothing in the indices to protect them, other than haphazard confluence or malpostiioned PVs that seems to occur at perfect time as storms enter and exit the northeast

Archived