Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 5 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

CNYWxGuy

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not! As the intensity has picked up, I'm seeing more snow than sleet now...

Not good...............540 line to my north and 700 line 15 miles to my south. All those heavy echos just to the SW will be probably wasted on sleet . SWFE are not to be trusted this year :thumbsdown:

post-1635-0-00339000-1296935924.jpg

I went to Lowes this morning. I come out of the store, talking to the wife, this older gentleman comes over and I quote" you all ready for the big storm today?" I said I don't think it will be bad at all he then says " really I just heard they are calling for 1-2 inches of ice!" I asked where he heard the bs report from and he said" The NWS in Burlington, because they cover down here in Glens Falls too". I just looked online and I have no idea where he got this info from but he had supplies and generator parts in hand and was prepping for it. Anyone have any ideas if this has been posted/ forecasted somewhere and I missed it?

Can't have 1-2" of ice when we are at best gonna get .75 liquid out of this :arrowhead:

Going back and forth between Sleet and Snow here No. burbs of SYR. Trace accumulation. 2-4" for tonight looks feasible.

90% Sleet, 10% ZR here in L'pool....If the NAM is to be trusted (LMFAO)....we may switch back to snow by 7pm, and get a nice 4 or so inches, but again...warm air wins out up this way more often than not with these "west of Apps" LPs moving NE'ward....Congrats to those 100 miles west, 50 miles north, and 100 miles northeast of SYR...

Safe to say the warm air is winning based on the last few frames across C / E NY. Just cant win. The deformation zone looks poised to make a b-line across I-90 region later on with a 2-5" bounty to be had.

If there is ONE benefit to receiving predominently ice from these past two systems, it's the fact it has transformed my 12+ snowpack into an absolute glacier which will ensure its survivability until... O I dont know... June? :scooter::axe:

post-538-0-05382300-1296943962.gif

NWS

Tonight: Snow, freezing rain, and sleet, becoming all snow after 9pm. Low around 26. Calm wind becoming west between 15 and 18 mph. Winds could gust as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

90% Sleet, 10% ZR here in L'pool....If the NAM is to be trusted (LMFAO)....we may switch back to snow by 7pm, and get a nice 4 or so inches, but again...warm air wins out up this way more often than not with these "west of Apps" LPs moving NE'ward....Congrats to those 100 miles west, 50 miles north, and 100 miles northeast of SYR...

Not sure if it'll help you guys out but figured i'd pop in to note that things down here in the State College region have turned over to snow ahead of schedule. CTP expected changeover around 7pm with some light accums possible in the mountains north of State College. I turned over at 4:30 with a coating currently and i'm 35 miles southwest of State College. Overall seems like things might be cooling aloft a lil faster. Perhaps that might translate up your way eventually.

It's ugly here now. We had a half inch of sleet and now ZR. Glazed and roads are a sheet of ice. It has slowly edged up to 29F.

You gotta love the US models. Early yesterday they show most of this event southeast of here with maybe a little light snow. What did they blow this by 250-300 miles? :devilsmiley:

Few lightning strikes in the S. Tier, per the Channel 9 radar loop, SW of Ithaca:

http://www.9wsyr.com...vedoppler9.aspx

It's ugly here now. We had a half inch of sleet and now ZR. Glazed and roads are a sheet of ice. It has slowly edged up to 29F.

You gotta love the US models. Early yesterday they show most of this event southeast of here with maybe a little light snow. What did they blow this by 250-300 miles? :devilsmiley:

Yeah the models can't handle this pattern very well right now.. I think the ukmet did the best though. Of course with the tuesday event when we need a shift north and west it just won't happen. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Archived