Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 5 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

CNYWxGuy

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey LEK and Gravestone Doji,

I never started to post until now but teach earth science at F-M and live in Phoenix. I would like to contribute more to the board from here on out. Long time weather nerd! I think we can pick up another couple from the deformation band later on tonight. Take care.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

840 PM EST SAT FEB 5 2011

JEFFERSON-LEWIS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST SUNDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...EASTERN LAKE ONTARIO REGION INCLUDING JEFFERSON AND LEWIS COUNTIES.

* TIMING...THROUGH 6 AM SUNDAY MORNING.

* HAZARDS...SNOW...POSSIBLY HEAVY AT TIMES.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 10 INCHES.

* VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN ONE QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.

* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADS AND HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS.

That was the best winter T-storm I have ever experienced in my life (46 yrs). Good, frequent flashing for 10 min followed by a 40 ish mph gust of wind that caused a total whiteout of snow coming off the pine trees. Finally, about 10 good strikes and loud claps of thunder accompanied by ice pellets. The only storm that came close for me was the blizzard of 78 on Staten Island where I had over 20" and a couple of wild flashes of sheet lightning and rolling thunder :popcorn:

That was the best winter T-storm I have ever experienced in my life (46 yrs). Good, frequent flashing for 10 min followed by a 40 ish mph gust of wind that caused a total whiteout of snow coming off the pine trees. Finally, about 10 good strikes and loud claps of thunder accompanied by ice pellets. The only storm that came close for me was the blizzard of 78 on Staten Island where I had over 20" and a couple of wild flashes of sheet lightning and rolling thunder :popcorn:

2nd time i saw thunder-sleet this year! Also had good snow off the pine trees around the house. Still wish it was snow

Same here. Lights went out for few seconds, heavy sleet-rain now back to heavy snow. Wild stuff

Montreal looks to be getting bombed with snow. Looks like Ottawa has missed out on the best of the snow. :thumbsdown:

Ya, it's been snowing moderately in downtown Montreal for about an hour or so. Looking at the EC radar, there's a nice band poised to hit us momentarily.

It's just unfortunate that you're missing out on most of the action.

Cheers,

Scratch

Ya, it's been snowing moderately in downtown Montreal for about an hour or so. Looking at the EC radar, there's a nice band poised to hit us momentarily.

It's just unfortunate that you're missing out on most of the action.

Cheers,

Scratch

it's very localized. barrhavan and south Ottawa look to be getting hit harder than downtown.

Archived