Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC Area January 26-27 Bomb Discussion and OBS

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

36 hr rough QPF estimates..storm is mostly over..maybe light snow still in Eastern SNE.

DC: 1.00"

PHL: .75"

NYC: .75"

BOS: .5-.75"

Where do I sign? Sounds incredibly reasonable and averages out extreme solutions on both sides with a lean towards the GFS. Actually, seems very GFS like.

hr 36 storm is over.... total qpf

nyc airports are prob all .75 or a tad more...

Li is .75+

from edison,nj south its .75+

North jersey is .50+

Yep, basically a nice little 4-6" storm here in NNJ. Still better than the scenario we were looking at just a few days ago with a coastal hugger when everyone was worried about 0.75-1" GPF of rain on the front side and possible heavy snow on the back. At least it's mainly snow for everyone now.

Text data

EWR: 0.73

JFK: 0.81

LGA: 0.71

ISP: 0.81

HPN: 0.56

PHL: 0.89

Sounds like only .6-.7" for Westchester...very disappointing. I don't understand how a juiced Gulf low with a closed H5 and H7 low isn't going to produce a stronger deformation band. I think the models might be underdoing the QPF a bit although there seems to be a consensus emerging that this is a routine 6-10" snowfall for the area instead of a MECS/HECS as last night's ECM showed. I'm a bit discouraged...we've had a lot of moderate storms this year, so I'm hoping for something a bit more dramatic. Still will be nice to have fresh snow though, and I always think Miller A storms can overperform, just wish it weren't such a fast mover.

The surface low isn't necessarily farther south and east, it doesn't develop the CCB in any way like it has been doing for the past two days.

not sure how it translates up the coast but looking at that surface plot, its very unlikely MDT would not get into the deform bad with a surface low there, yet the precip output implies they get fringed at best by the deform. NOt sure I buy that. The GFS and NAM are further east because the SLP is east...euro kinda makes no sense.

So kind of like a compromise between the Ukie and the Canadian models. Depending on ratios 6-8 inches for NYC, fantastic considering the rain chances we were dealing with.

I'll take 6-9 inches any day of the week. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Of course I actually have to get into work no matter what on Thursday so it's not going to be a fun ride in but I'll trade that for the fresh snow pack!

Sounds like only .6-.7" for Westchester...very disappointing. I don't understand how a juiced Gulf low with a closed H5 and H7 low isn't going to produce a stronger deformation band. I think the models might be underdoing the QPF a bit although there seems to be a consensus emerging that this is a routine 6-10" snowfall for the area instead of a MECS/HECS as last night's ECM showed. I'm a bit discouraged...we've had a lot of moderate storms this year, so I'm hoping for something a bit more dramatic. Still will be nice to have fresh snow though, and I always think Miller A storms can overperform, just wish it weren't such a fast mover.

I always thought that over 12" would be a stretch for most from this storm, since it's moving very fast and these CCB features that are dynamically driven are notoriously hard to pin down. But I'll certainly take my 0.75-1" and run with it. That's still good for possibly well over 6", and you get the help of higher ratios.

I'd still say 5-10" is a good all around call. The RGEM not backing down was encouraging as well. Also, 6-10" is a "routine" storm for the NYC area? :lol:

This could also tick back N at 12z, we have time still for adjustments.

its where the models are headed.....EE rule....id rather be in bed with the Euro and NAm than the canadian and GFS.

Im happy with 0.75 (+) qpf mainly snow. This is pretty much where we were with the earlier (wetter) runs after patial qpf was lost to mix/rain. I dont see the ECM and NAM as being close. I think the GFS/UK/ECM are all pretty close with the nam the dry outlier and the ggem the wet one.

Yeah, I'll take my 6-10" and run. More of a 6-8" IMO.

The Euro is not with the NAM, it is with the GFS.

yeah ok...here is the 0Z GFS...it is NOT with the GFS....the euro is trending toward the NAM....look at it however you want. at 0Z last night I was getting 1.50-1.75...now .81. You guys keep convincing yourselves otherwise.

+100000 to stormchaser

gfs_p60_060l.gif

The Euro is not with the NAM, it is with the GFS.

plesae for once, look at it with a little logic. euro decreasing QPF, GFS INCREASING QPF....GFS has 30% more QPF for me than euro....

needless to say I take the NAm over the canadian any day and twice when it counts

Im happy with 0.75 (+) qpf mainly snow. This is pretty much where we were with the earlier (wetter) runs after patial qpf was lost to mix/rain. I dont see the ECM and NAM as being close. I think the GFS/UK/ECM are all pretty close with the nam the dry outlier and the ggem the wet one.

under normal circumstances I would be happy....after what the models showed yesterday this is quite the disappointment especially if there is a period of rain or sleet...if there is this is a waste

yeah ok...here is the 0Z GFS...it is NOT with the GFS....the euro is trending toward the NAM....look at it however you want. at 0Z last night I was getting 1.50-1.75...now .81. You guys keep convincing yourselves otherwise.

+100000 to stormchaser

:axe:

Can you at the very least post how it's trending aloft and at the surface with its features instead of going off the often very unreliable QPF panels? Seriously, your act is getting old.

Archived