Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC Area January 26-27 Bomb Discussion and OBS

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

plesae for once, look at it with a little logic. euro decreasing QPF, GFS INCREASING QPF....GFS has 30% more QPF for me than euro....

needless to say I take the NAm over the canadian any day and twice when it counts

You are so IMBY right now. For others there's little difference between the EURO and GFS.

Sounds like only .6-.7" for Westchester...very disappointing. I don't understand how a juiced Gulf low with a closed H5 and H7 low isn't going to produce a stronger deformation band. I think the models might be underdoing the QPF a bit although there seems to be a consensus emerging that this is a routine 6-10" snowfall for the area instead of a MECS/HECS as last night's ECM showed. I'm a bit discouraged...we've had a lot of moderate storms this year, so I'm hoping for something a bit more dramatic. Still will be nice to have fresh snow though, and I always think Miller A storms can overperform, just wish it weren't such a fast mover.

The system coming from the NW will supposedly force the coastal low to cut more east and "unclose" but I'm not so sure this will happen as much as the Euro/UKMET/NAM want to show it, largely because I think the coastal is going to advance up the coast faster than modeled, not by alot but in this case 2-3 hours quicker to any one location is pretty big.

plesae for once, look at it with a little logic. euro decreasing QPF, GFS INCREASING QPF....GFS has 30% more QPF for me than euro....

needless to say I take the NAm over the canadian any day and twice when it counts

sounds like someone is having a nervous breakdown over here :axe:

from my experience last year with the euro, it wasnt great on qpf right before the storm. Even if its right, 5-9" is an awesome storm.. Let it play out, nowcast, and we are getting snow...chill

under normal circumstances I would be happy....after what the models showed yesterday this is quite the disappointment especially if there is a period of rain or sleet...if there is this is a waste

not what i had hoped for but stil very decent. This system is juiced up and Id expect the usual trends which need to be tracked real-time. 4 - 8 looks like a good call

Latest RUC is still bringing the surface low right in along the coast

ruc_p01_009s.gif

The SE wind reports at Hatteras are an encouraging sign that this will try to tuck in for a while before escaping east. Another reason I think the feedback-challenged NAM is wrong here. Other models might be onto something by elongating the low and providing for an overall weaker CCB solution, but the NAM is very likely overdoing that process and jipping people too generously.

from my experience last year with the euro, it wasnt great on qpf right before the storm. Even if its right, 5-9" is an awesome storm.. Let it play out, nowcast, and we are getting snow...chill

The Euro is not a good model inside 36 hours...again, I know the verification stats say otherwise but those count days with high pressure...when talking about big weather events or deep lows I trust the GFS/NAM/RGEM and other mesoscale models inside those periods for storms in the lower 48...that said it obviously did not trend where everyone wanted to see it trend to.

not at all- i just hate the hypocrisy that happens....probably as much as most dislike my negativity

The SE wind reports at Hatteras are an encouraging sign that this will try to tuck in for a while before escaping east. Another reason I think the feedback-challenged NAM is wrong here. Other models might be onto something by elongating the low and providing for an overall weaker CCB solution, but the NAM is very likely overdoing that process and jipping people too generously.

The NAM nowadays is an example of modeling getting too good from what I am able to gather by examing it...its basically forecasting the effects of what it "thinks" large scale convection is going to do to the storm as opposed to 20 years ago where no model could do that...the problem is that its overdoing the convection that it thinks and is going to happen.

LOL- everyone posts QPF maps and totals...I always ask for h5 maps and no one listens....NOW YOU WAKE UP??? The effing hypocrisy is unreal.

You do this just about every storm and it gets very annoying after a while.

Just because the Euro cut us down somewhat (and it might not even be that bad for us since we're colder and what falls should be mostly snow vs. the mixing it had when we had more QPF), doesn't mean "storm cancel, NAM wins". Look beyond just that and see how it arrives at the solution it has. The NAM is as piss poor as it gets with QPF, and it seems to be either wacky overdone or underdone 9 times out of 10. It inexplicably cut QPF down for the storm last Friday and we ended up with twice what it showed for us. Just calm down and get a grip, and an 8" storm is still quite impressive for our area. Anyone expecting over 12" from a hard to predict event like this was bound for disappointment anyway.

The Euro is not a good model inside 36 hours...again, I know the verification stats say otherwise but those count days with high pressure...when talking about big weather events or deep lows I trust the GFS/NAM/RGEM and other mesoscale models inside those periods for storms in the lower 48...that said it obviously did not trend where everyone wanted to see it trend to.

I remember some people were saying that this storm was going to be the biggest storm in years for many places in the midwest. How things have changed. This went from an inland runner, to a coastal storm, to a 2 piece storm.

lol Oh god. Whatever happened to 5-8" being an awesome event, well with these big storms over the past year I can see why, but I for one am formally excited that 5-8" is still on the table on the majority of the models.

Manny, I agree. We couldn't even buy a 5-8 inch snowstorm in 2001-2002,2006-2007 and 2007-2008. We have been spoiled lately.

You do this just about every storm and it gets very annoying after a while.

Just because the Euro cut us down somewhat (and it might not even be that bad for us since we're colder and what falls should be mostly snow vs. the mixing it had when we had more QPF), doesn't mean "storm cancel, NAM wins". Look beyond just that and see how it arrives at the solution it has. The NAM is as piss poor as it gets with QPF, and it seems to be either wacky overdone or underdone 9 times out of 10. It inexplicably cut QPF down for the storm last Friday and we ended up with twice what it showed for us. Just calm down and get a grip, and an 8" storm is still quite impressive for our area. Anyone expecting over 12" from a hard to predict event like this was bound for disappointment anyway.

PLEASE, find where i said Storm cancel?

I said the euro goes to the NAm, nam is going to win....

which would be 3-6"

Thats a good point that many have reiterated about the euro with these amplifed coastals. From what I gather the ECM cut qpf down south and west too. Time to look at radar, sat, obs etc..

This is a great spot from where we were and with little to no mixing, we're not far off from the wetter solutions once accountd for non snow qpf.

Manny, I agree. We couldn't even buy a 5-8 inch snowstorm in 2001-2002,2006-2007 and 2007-2008. We have been spoiled lately.

If this were the late 1990s, we'd all cut our arms off for a widespread 5-10" kind of event. No one should be fooled into thinking that this kind of storm is "routine" for us. Back then, 3-5" was a big deal. I very vaguely remember how big a deal 2/4/95 was and that was about this caliber of a storm for NYC-widespread 6-8" type storm that mixed with rain.

Archived