Toothache
NYC Area January 26-27 Bomb Discussion and OBS

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for whoever was asking about the HRRR

http://ruc.noaa.gov/hrrr/

its a short range model that stands for High-Resolution Rapid Refresh. It's used alot during severe weather season, like for capping situations and such as well as other times but is being used alot more now.

another model to remind me chasing season is just around the corner :)

for whoever was asking about the HRRR

http://ruc.noaa.gov/hrrr/

its a short range model that stands for High-Resolution Rapid Refresh. It's used alot during severe weather season, like for capping situations and such as well as other times but is being used alot more now.

another model to remind me chasing season is just around the corner :)

Any insights on it's accuracy? I've noticed it's not as terrible as I thought it would be. Last winter I heard several reports that it was pretty awful....seems to be decent in my limited usage of it thus far this winter.

Guest stormchaser

Any insights on it's accuracy? I've noticed it's not as terrible as I thought it would be. Last winter I heard several reports that it was pretty awful....seems to be decent in my limited usage of it thus far this winter.

Everything seems to be decent in limited usage this winter lol, or atrocious depending on what angle you are looking at it from

Everything seems to be decent in limited usage this winter lol, or atrocious depending on what angle you are looking at it from

I can say with absolute certainty that the CRAS has been very poor this year. I am very disappointed with its performance and expect better verification rates. :arrowhead:

I haven't really used it much for storms out by you guys but out here its been ok...seems to do better with the big events and likes to overperform with the small events and produce say..2-3" of snow when every other model is less than an inch. That has has happened several times this winter here and its been wrong most of the time.

It did pretty well with the I-70 snow event in MO last week.

36 hr rough QPF estimates..storm is mostly over..maybe light snow still in Eastern SNE.

DC: 1.00"

PHL: .75"

NYC: .75"

BOS: .5-.75"

So kind of like a compromise between the Ukie and the Canadian models. Depending on ratios 6-8 inches for NYC, fantastic considering the rain chances we were dealing with.

Archived