Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 26-27 Snowstorm Disco V

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the euro caves this run to the idea of split moisture, then we wait for the CCB to crank. Not to the extreme probably of the NAM, but we'll see.

Sounds like you guys may need to double down on your bet.

I'd go with a very slight compromise like 95% euro 5% nam meaning it moves like 10-20 miles south or southwest but still ends up much more consolidated and crushing.

Well it may not be pretty...but at least the NAM came around to a slightly more reasonable solution. And hey...the good news is that it finally figured out we're getting more than a dusting in CT today...so that means it should have a good handle on the Wed-Thu system by 0z tomorrow night once the system is underway.

the difference is not just with the split shield but with the northern stream shortwave...that will be key in getting a bigger system further northwest.

I think it's both to be honest as it's a foot race. We're not going to get the moisture flying up here because it gets shunted ENE by the s/w that's pointed to on this w'v as it combines with some other energy in the flow. But I do absolutely agree, this was Burbanks fear Sunday when he looked at the Euro and the northern kicker.

the northern stream shortwave was faster this run than the 06z and the 00z...that's a bit concerning.

Yep.

But the end result was a nice ccb over SNE..which is what we were looking for

Sure but it's not around long as it gets slammed out of here. No complaints, if we get more than .5" QPF nobody should complain, 1"+ is just a big bonus.

I disagree, imo.

I'd like to see the GFS/GGEM first, but I'm pretty certain the meso models will win out this time - again. Especially like I said if the RGEM etc stay east. All year the Euro and ENS have had an intermediate track only to adjust to the meso's inside of 36-48. If they are all east, I'd gamble it's going east...but let's see the suite.

But the end result was a nice ccb over SNE..which is what we were looking for

No. We were looking for a EURO-like solution, 0Z of which brought a HECS to SNE in one consolidated low tracking over the BM.

Yes the NAM gets us snow. It snowed this morning too. But it's fundamentally different from the EURO on synoptics.

Standoff continues, and this is starting to sound like a broken record: 12Z EURO will be "the biggest EURO run of our lives".

I gotta think that if the GFS continues to show what it did at 0z & 6z we need to really consider the possibility that the Euro is overdoing this thing just a little. Still gonna be a nice snow event for much of the area...warning criteria shouldn't be an issue for eastern areas...probably more advisory like snows to the west. Again...that's if the American models continue to show these less amped solutions. All bets are off it the Euro is the winner. No matter what, everyone is getting some snow.

Big improvement to how things looked over the weekend when I was concerned with a mostly rain event down here on the shoreline.

Well it may not be pretty...but at least the NAM came around to a slightly more reasonable solution. And hey...the good news is that it finally figured out we're getting more than a dusting in CT today...so that means it should have a good handle on the Wed-Thu system by 0z tomorrow night once the system is underway.

LOL very true.

The NAM has managed to nail the general idea most of the time....but it lacks the details.

The two best forecasters we have left in Boston, Burbank thought it would be light to moderate boston south as the northern stream boots it, Harv had ZERO snow in most of vermont and a big part of the CNE/NNE states. That's a little telling to me too...at least as of 6pm last night.

No. We were looking for a EURO-like solution, 0Z of which brought a HECS to SNE in one consolidated low tracking over the BM.

Yes the NAM gets us snow. It snowed this morning too. But it's fundamentally different from the EURO on synoptics.

Standoff continues, and this is starting to sound like a broken record: 12Z EURO will be "the biggest EURO run of our lives".

People should not expect HECS all the time because the euro shows it. A general 6-12 for snow still looks good, pending the 12z model data. Stay a conservative route until guidance overwhelmingly suggests it.

LOL very true.

The NAM has managed to nail the general idea most of the time....but it lacks the details.

The two best forecasters we have left in Boston, Burbank thought it would be light to moderate boston south as the northern stream boots it, Harv had ZERO snow in most of vermont and a big part of the CNE/NNE states. That's a little telling to me too...at least as of 6pm last night.

laugh.gif

Archived