Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Banter

Ginx snewx

Banter in storm threads 2-4 days before storm hits  

40 members have voted

1. 1. should banter be allowed in storm threat threads if the threat is not imminent within2

• If inside 24 not allowed
    • If inside 24 allowed
    • Outside 24 allowed
    • Outside 24 never allowed
    • I like super threads with everything in it
    • Obs threads are cool
    • Obs threads are redundant

I don't know why this keeps coming up. I think keeping banter out of the main thread makes sense. The mods have been very lenient when the wx is quiet or if we're far our from an event so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

For example tonight I really like seeing the cold, mid week storm threat, and g2g all separate and well organized.

I've always disliked obs threads though... i'd rather see obs and discussion in the same thread.

I don't know why this keeps coming up. I think keeping banter out of the main thread makes sense. The mods have been very lenient when the wx is quiet or if we're far our from an event so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

For example tonight I really like seeing the cold, mid week storm threat, and g2g all separate and well organized.

I've always disliked obs threads though... i'd rather see obs and discussion in the same thread.

Yeah, the 2 seperate threads during a storm is the worst. If I'm not mistaken I think the obs thread is just for NWS to monitor totals without having to go through 20+ pages though.

Indeed it is not, just giving my $.02.

Wasn't replying to you. :)

The other forums are HEAVILY moderated. We are already very lenient. This is a weather forum and we have an OT section. Despite that we still allow OT/banter in the general obs threads. I know 20-30 of us have gotten fairly close in here, but we're trying to run a weather forum. There's no need to have so many posts in every thread being OT whether it's sports, Miley, fights, or excessive innuendo. The board keeps growing yet it seems we add very few new contributors to this subforum. I understand that the frequent posters here are what make this subforum thrive, but it does need to be reeled in from time to time. It isn't a lot to ask to stay on topic. There's like 3 different SNE threads right now between the storm, the cold, and the banter. It isn't difficult for people making 50 posts/day to make an extra click to post OT in the banter thread. It keeps the event specific threads more about the actual weather so that there is less BS to read through when trying to catch up on what's going on.

The choices shown do not express a definitive either/ or scenario, so to only pick from one doesn't work.

Regardless, I am fine with the way things are, and am not sure why this is even coming up. One thing I did find confusing was a few weeks back when we had multiple storm threats, one on top of each other, in the same week. Following the various threads for them was tough.

Honestly, I belong to multiple forums that discuss various topics, from my profession to music to peak oil to sustainability, and beyond, and I've never seen as many issues as I do here with regard to people bitching and moaning about what should or should not be included in a particular thread. I find it quite amusing, and strange at the same time. Maybe it's just a weather thing.

Unfortunately or fortunately, off topic posting is part of the game with public forums. Unless someone really cracks down on security, and is policing this place 24/7 it will be hard to keep off topic posts where they belong. It's just human nature with respect to free communication. And I'm at a good place with it.

As far as the sub-forums go, I spend 99.999 percent of my time posting in the New England area. I normally have no reason or desire to post anywhere else (with a few exceptions). I read other regional forums but don't normally post there. For me, banter, and laughing it up feels better with folks here rather than some multi-region mega off topic zone, mainly because my interests are here.

Just my thoughts.

Yeah, the 2 separate threads during a storm is the worst. If I'm not mistaken I think the obs thread is just for NWS to monitor totals without having to go through 20+ pages though.

You are correct. It is easier to monitor one thread when we're in the thick of things at the office. All I have to do is refresh (well, if the GD internet connection at the office runs higher than a snail's pace <ugh>) to see the latest reports. I know I appreciate that. I can then read some of the discussion threads later.

--Turtle ;)

You are correct. It is easier to monitor one thread when we're in the thick of things at the office. All I have to do is refresh (well, if the GD internet connection at the office runs higher than a snail's pace <ugh>) to see the latest reports. I know I appreciate that. I can then read some of the discussion threads later.

--Turtle ;)

Yeah we specifically created the "obs only thread" during the storm to help the NWS...that way they can click on it and see reports/totals without sifting through stuff like someone's interpretation of the RUC model in the middle of the storm.

Wasn't replying to you. :)

The other forums are HEAVILY moderated. We are already very lenient. This is a weather forum and we have an OT section. Despite that we still allow OT/banter in the general obs threads. I know 20-30 of us have gotten fairly close in here, but we're trying to run a weather forum. There's no need to have so many posts in every thread being OT whether it's sports, Miley, fights, or excessive innuendo. The board keeps growing yet it seems we add very few new contributors to this subforum. I understand that the frequent posters here are what make this subforum thrive, but it does need to be reeled in from time to time. It isn't a lot to ask to stay on topic. There's like 3 different SNE threads right now between the storm, the cold, and the banter. It isn't difficult for people making 50 posts/day to make an extra click to post OT in the banter thread. It keeps the event specific threads more about the actual weather so that there is less BS to read through when trying to catch up on what's going on.

Well stated. Just because we don't have the population density of other subforums, doesn't mean we aren't going to crack down on off topic stuff. We have been extremely lenient so people honestly have absolutely zero to complain about.

They want to test another forum like SV or storm2K and see if they can post what they do here? Be my guest and let us know how that works out. We want to make it a good experience for everyone so user input is appreciated, but part of the problem is that the majority opinion isn't necessarily the the same as the most vocal opinion. I thought we were past this stage of the subforum explanation but I guess not.

I'm really struggling to see how lumping everything in one thread is the answer. How is it fair to the hundreds of users of this subforum that do not necessarily have the time to always be on here to allow banter to overtake a thread on a major storm threat so that when they log on they have to sift through 37 pages of posts of varying topics to try and find relevant posts on the storm threat at hand? Is that fair to all those users to make them do that?

Brian already stated above how lenient we usually are when the weather is boring and nothing to track...but make no mistake, we are going to be deleting a lot more posts as storm threats get closer if they are not on topic and we won't be afraid to use the 5 posts per day limitation on some. As Brian also mentioned, some of the other subforums have had to throw the hammer down. We've been trying to avoid it here because most of the time you all get the message when we post that its time to stay on topic, but yesterday was especially bad and I'm not sure the message is being sent clearly enough.

Gee, who is that a stealthy shot at. lol

I don't think its a bad thing...we should be trying to interpret the RUC in a storm...its just nice for the NWS to have a separate thread to have some quick obs/snow reports to check on. Its not a thread that we would all hang out in....just one that takes about 4 seconds to click on and throw a total in there, thats all. Then we can go back to the discussion thread where we can talk about a minute by minute account of how the dendritic growth has changed.

I don't think its a bad thing...we should be trying to interpret the RUC in a storm...its just nice for the NWS to have a separate thread to have some quick obs/snow reports to check on. Its not a thread that we would all hang out in....just one that takes about 4 seconds to click on and throw a total in there, thats all. Then we can go back to the discussion thread where we can talk about a minute by minute account of how the dendritic growth has changed.

I get it.....just messn'.

All of the above except I've viewed the obs thread as strict obs and nothing says you can't post obs in the disco thread.

It's not your decision. Sorry.

LOL, it's a poll not a policy making poll, just trying to get an idea what the general feeling is.NBD, but I will say this best sub forum anywhere, but you and the rest of the mods are as guilty as anyone for bantering at times in the middle of storms, do not deny it Brian. I totally understand when it's OK and when it's not, OBS threads for NWS , absolutely, banter in between model runs and then chastising someone when you and others do it at times, hypocrisy. JMHO

Archived