• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Jan 25/26 Storm Part IV

burgertime

NWS has just about give up hope for snow here now, What a suprise. :arrowhead: Every new package they take more snow out of the forecast, So I'm really not looking for a single flake. :(

.TUESDAY...PARTLY SUNNY IN THE MORNING...THEN MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH

A CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 40S. LIGHT

AND VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF RAIN 30 PERCENT.

.TUESDAY NIGHT...RAIN. NOT AS COOL WITH LOWS IN THE MID 30S.

LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS...BECOMING NORTHEAST AROUND 10 MPH AFTER

MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF RAIN 90 PERCENT.

.WEDNESDAY...RAIN AND SNOW. LITTLE OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. NEAR

STEADY TEMPERATURE IN THE UPPER 30S. NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH

WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION NEAR

100 PERCENT.

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH SNOW IN THE EVENING...THEN

PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT.

LITTLE OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. COOLER WITH LOWS IN THE MID 20S.

CHANCE OF SNOW 90 PERCENT.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS has just about give up hope for snow here now, What a suprise. :arrowhead: Every new package they take more snow out of the forecast, So I'm really not looking for a single flake. :(

If today's 12Z runs come in like I think they will, I'll be adjusting my track of the 7H moisture a little further north, and east. going from n. Ala/Etn, and mostly nw NC /w VA. , so for your area the best chance for the snow would be late Wednesday in a 6 hour window.

Morning All, As with most in the area we have a healthy dusting here in Weaverville. This sure doesn't make up for the upcoming event. One of the most frustrating in the last two years here in the Asheville area. Still time for some changes and we still will see some snow so I guess all is not lost. All in all it has been a tough 48 hrs but a great learning experience! Looks like the guys at higher elevation will do quite well with this storm.

From Spann this morning:

TOMORROW NIGHT/WEDNESDAY MORNING: Here comes the hard part. Models are actually in very good agreement with a surface low lifting northeast of out of the Gulf, moving up toward Savannah and Cape Hatteras. At the same time, a cold core upper low will move right on top of us, presenting the classic forecast dilemma. Some notes on this….

*Classic model output will show only rain for North-Central Alabama due to relatively warm air in the lowest 5,000 feet of the atmosphere.

*But, we have been burned by “classic model output” in this kind of situation many times over the years.

*Classic example… December 1997, when MOS products suggested rain and a high in the low 50s for places like Jackson and Meridian, MS, and Demopolis, AL. A cold core came along and brought up 8 inches of snow in this region with temperatures peaking in the mid 30s, almost 15 degrees below forecast levels.

*Temperatures at 500 mb (about 18,000-20,000 feet up) are forecast to drop to near -25 degrees © over Birmingham by daybreak Wednesday. Dynamic cooling associated with the upper low, no doubt, will bring colder air down from above. Much like December 1997.

*Long time readers have heard us say… “cold core upper low, weatherman’s woe”. Bottom line is that there is little skill in this kind of setup, and unfortunately I do not believe we have enough skill to produce a snow accumulation potential graphic this morning (you know, the ones with the nice straight red lines that brings great weeping and gnashing of teeth). More than likely, I will draw one up this afternoon, but I am not comfortable doing it this morning.

*This setup can produce more snow that you think. Somebody over North Alabama could wind up with 5 inches or more, with nothing but rain for areas away from the upper low track.

*If we do see snow, the greatest likelihood of this will be from about 3:00 a.m. until 9:00 a.m. Wednesday.

*There is no Arctic air moving in following this system, so if we do see snow, it won’t stay on the ground for a week (like the last winter storm here)

BOTTOM LINE: We will mention rain tomorrow, with some potential for the rain to change to snow late tomorrow night into Wednesday morning. No accumulation forecast yet, and no placement forecast yet. Let’s look at the 12Z model runs for better clarity in the upper low strength and position.

I also want to mention that the 06z GFS is still quite interesting. It wraps up the 850mb low quite a bit at the end, dropping quite a bit of accumulating snowfall across most of WNC including the foothills all the way to Greensboro, NC. A nice slug of +.5" of precip. is nothing to slouch at! Considering that the ECWMF is even more wrapped up than the gfs... both models are likely advertising the chance of at least moderate snowfall accumulations outside of the mountains of NC.

Don't fall asleep at the threat yet... just a slight shift southward and folks like Charlotte, NC and Greenville, SC are back in this.

2qb699i.gif

I encourage everyone in the Lee of the Appalachians to closely follow where the 850mb low streamlines are oriented. If you are just slightly north or east of this feature... you likely will experience crashing 850mb temperatures and quickly switch over to heavy snow. The 06z NAM is actually further south with this feature, meaning a lot of those subzero 850mb temps the gfs is showing would likely be shifted about 25-50 miles southeastward.

20f8jp.gif

NAM is also showing this

nam_pcp_072s.gif

I also want to mention that the 06z GFS is still quite interesting. It wraps up the 850mb low quite a bit at the end, dropping quite a bit of accumulating snowfall across most of WNC including the foothills all the way to Greensboro, NC. A nice slug of +.5" of precip. is nothing to slouch at! Considering that the ECWMF is even more wrapped up than the gfs... both models are likely advertising the chance of at least moderate snowfall accumulations outside of the mountains of NC.

Don't fall asleep at the threat yet... just a slight shift southward and folks like Charlotte, NC and Greenville, SC are back in this.

2qb699i.gif

New discussion and video up....

I get the frustration and disappointment from some, although I don't know that anybody ever said "it is going to snow in X or Y location" with this system. Myself, as well as the others mets and forecasters I saw on the board, kept giving potential and possibilities.

At any rate, the upper air low on the back side of this system just screams that it will put down a period of heavy wet snow in spots somewhere across the region.....again, see the discussion on the blog.

NAM is also showing this

Yep... and while I still think the nam is still catching up at the surface, it has very similar 500mb features to the rest of the guidance now.

I took a look at BUFKIT data, and its actually substantially colder initially aloft over the NC mountains that the isobaric maps would indicate. Chalk it up to adiabatic cooling lift rising over the mountains that could allow even a period of snow Tuesday night in the mountain valleys before a changeover to rain. (KAVL)

Here are some numbers for select locations:

KBRA - 2.6"

KAVL - 6.4" (3.4" falls tuesday night... changes over to rain at 4am... changes back over to snow at 4pm... another 3.0" falls)

KCLT - 1.9"

KHKY - Actually has no snow because boundary layer does not cool off enough... which I don't buy since KCLT was able to change over. Prob around 3" here as well if you don't account for the boundary layer warmth.

I get the frustration and disappointment from some, although I don't know that anybody ever said "it is going to snow in X or Y location" with this system. Myself, as well as the others mets and forecasters I saw on the board, kept giving potential and possibilities.

At any rate, the upper air low on the back side of this system just screams that it will put down a period of heavy wet snow in spots somewhere across the region.....again, see the discussion on the blog.

Yep getting all worked up is a little silly, the possibility is there and to me at least it's been pretty obvious it's a "wait and see" type event. I'm a little pessimistic about the chances in CLT but who knows? Considering the models being all over the place that chance is still there and like I've said I'll always take my chances in the middle of Jan with border line temps.

KBRA - 2.6"

KAVL - 6.4" (3.4" falls tuesday night... changes over to rain at 4am... changes back over to snow at 4pm... another 3.0" falls)

KCLT - 1.9"

KHKY - Actually has no snow because boundary layer does not cool off enough... which I don't buy since KCLT was able to change over. Prob around 3" here as well if you don't account for the boundary layer warmth.

Thanks for the info! Crazy that CLT would get close to 2 inches verbatim and HKY gets nada..could it be because there is just more intense moisture cooling the column here as opposed to HKY?

Thanks for the info! Crazy that CLT would get close to 2 inches verbatim and HKY gets nada..could it be because there is just more intense moisture cooling the column here as opposed to HKY?

Well a look at the individual soundings show that there is a three hour window in KCLT that gets around .3" precip. in a three hour period, in which about half of that falls in 1 hour. In KHKY we see a lighter precipitation rate, although it also approaches .1" per hour. In the end, I think it just highlights that you really need to be under the heaviest rates before you get some sort of changeover on the backside... and that could still occur in my opinion anywhere from KGSP to KGSO.

Speaking of which, I didn't mention this before int the last post, but KGSO GETS ABSOLUTELY PLASTERED on the 06z NAM.... they have a three hour period of greater than 2" per hour rates all snow.

The end with a whopping 9.3"

I think this highlights what is still on the table as this system rapidly intensifies on the lee side of the Appalachians. It might be overdone, but the gfs is advertising similar rates, if not heavier on the backside of this 850mb low.

Yep... and while I still think the nam is still catching up at the surface, it has very similar 500mb features to the rest of the guidance now.

I took a look at BUFKIT data, and its actually substantially colder initially aloft over the NC mountains that the isobaric maps would indicate. Chalk it up to adiabatic cooling lift rising over the mountains that could allow even a period of snow Tuesday night in the mountain valleys before a changeover to rain. (KAVL)

KBRA - 2.6"

KCLT - 1.9"

Ok, you peaked my curiosity. The 6z nam spits out 6.4 inches of snow in 2 HOURS for Greensboro per the BUFKIT soundings. I do believe that someone will see some back end snow and it will be heavy enough to accumulate. It looks like it will be 2 more days before we see exactly who it will be. I would love to see 3 inch an hour rates!

Ok, you peaked my curiosity. The 6z nam spits out 6.4 inches of snow in 2 HOURS for Greensboro per the BUFKIT soundings. I do believe that someone will see some back end snow and it will be heavy enough to accumulate. It looks like it will be 2 more days before we see exactly who it will be. I would love to see 3 inch an hour rates!

Oh, I forgot to mention that the snow comes after 1.26 inches of RAIN! 2.18 inches of total QPF! WOW!

Well a look at the individual soundings show that there is a three hour window in KCLT that gets around .3" precip. in a three hour period, in which about half of that falls in 1 hour. In KHKY we see a lighter precipitation rate, although it also approaches .1" per hour. In the end, I think it just highlights that you really need to be under the heaviest rates before you get some sort of changeover on the backside... and that could still occur in my opinion anywhere from KGSP to KGSO.

Speaking of which, I didn't mention this before int the last post, but KGSO GETS ABSOLUTELY PLASTERED on the 06z NAM.... they have a three hour period of greater than 2" per hour rates all snow.

The end with a whopping 9.3"

I think this highlights what is still on the table as this system rapidly intensifies on the lee side of the Appalachians. It might be overdone, but the gfs is advertising similar rates, if not heavier on the backside of this 850mb low.

Just insane how someone could cash in on one of the most intense snows of their life for a few hours. I feel bad for you guys who have to do this for a living guitar.gif. This makes the GFS that much more intriguing but I said a few days ago for someone this storm is going to be an immense heartbreak as they get no snow and just 30 miles one direction someone gets a ton.

Great discussion... I hope you don't mind if I took a screen capture of when you were describing the Euro model... because it shows a very similar setup with the deformation band like the GFS and NAM at this point. I compleatly agree with your thoughts, as I think there will be somebody... could be the mountains through the piedmont of NC that will end up with warning criteria snowfall from the band that sets up on the back of the 850mb low.

xerihx.png

Yea the NAM perfectly highlights my concern. People have written this event off, but its obvious that if you end up just on the northwest side of the 850mb low, you have a 3 hour window of perhaps heavy snow. Even the ECWMF (which is more amplified and thus warmer initially) has the deformation band come through NC dropping some snow in the lee of the Appalachians.

Great discussion... I hope you don't mind if I took a screen capture of when you were describing the Euro model... because it shows a very similar setup with the deformation band like the GFS and NAM at this point. I compleatly agree with your thoughts, as I think there will be somebody... could be the mountains through the piedmont of NC that will end up with warning criteria snowfall from the band that sets up on the back of the 850mb low.

xerihx.png

Yea the NAM perfectly highlights my concern. People have written this event off, but its obvious that if you end up just on the east side of the 850mb low, you have a 3 hour window of perhaps heavy snow. Even the ECWMF (which is more amplified and thus warmer initially) has the deformation band come through NC dropping some snow in the lee of the Appalachians.

You mean nw side?

xerihx.png

Yea the NAM perfectly highlights my concern. People have written this event off, but its obvious that if you end up just on the northwest side of the 850mb low, you have a 3 hour window of perhaps heavy snow. Even the ECWMF (which is more amplified and thus warmer initially) has the deformation band come through NC dropping some snow in the lee of the Appalachians.

Phil is that deformation band starting in ne ga through the upstate with a pocket of cold air being dragged down...i'm i reading that right?

Just insane how someone could cash in on one of the most intense snows of their life for a few hours. I feel bad for you guys who have to do this for a living guitar.gif. This makes the GFS that much more intriguing but I said a few days ago for someone this storm is going to be an immense heartbreak as they get no snow and just 30 miles one direction someone gets a ton.

Burger, You just roll with the punches. Then you wait for the next event...

Archived