Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Thanksgiving Eve SECS/MECS Discussion II

gkrangers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The initial push of dynamic cooling is occurring as a result of 700mb frontogenesis, which is currently oriented from southwest to northeast throughout our area. This lift for heavy precipitation is cooling the column and allowing for snow to push toward Northeast NJ and NYC. This may make it as far as the coastal plain for a period of time later this morning. Probably not Southern Brooklyn or Queens, but at least Manhattan and the Bronx.

Just a few short hours later, near term forecast soundings are in good agreement that southerly winds will strengthen between 650-700mb. As the 700mb low passes from Southeast PA to Northeast NJ, warm air advection will begin at that level. Temperatures could warm 4-6 degrees C by 2pm in that small sliver of the atmospheric column. This will melt snow flakes as they fall from the snow growth region. The depth of this warm layer is greater near the coast, so it will probably simply be all rain there. This is unfortunate because it occurs in conjunction with some very strong lift. 

After 2pm a dry slot should move in for a period of time with the 700mb low passing by and killing precipitation production at that level. But precipitation will wrap around again later this afternoon as it moves to our northeast. We will have to see how the thermal profile cools behind the passage of the H7 low and if we could see another hour or two of frozen precipitation behind it. 

The initial push of dynamic cooling is occurring as a result of 700mb frontogenesis, which is currently oriented from southwest to northeast throughout our area. This lift for heavy precipitation is cooling the column and allowing for snow to push toward Northeast NJ and NYC. This may make it as far as the coastal plain for a period of time later this morning. Probably not Southern Brooklyn or Queens, but at least Manhattan and the Bronx.

Just a few short hours later, near term forecast soundings are in good agreement that southerly winds will strengthen between 650-700mb. As the 700mb low passes from Southeast PA to Northeast NJ, warm air advection will begin at that level. Temperatures could warm 4-6 degrees C by 2pm in that small sliver of the atmospheric column. This will melt snow flakes as they fall from the snow growth region. The depth of this warm layer is greater near the coast, so it will probably simply be all rain there. This is unfortunate because it occurs in conjunction with some very strong lift.

After 2pm a dry slot should move in for a period of time with the 700mb low passing by and killing precipitation production at that level. But precipitation will wrap around again later this afternoon as it moves to our northeast. We will have to see how the thermal profile cools behind the passage of the H7 low and if we could see another hour or two of frozen precipitation behind it.

What a waste of a Miller A john, wouldve been nice to of had some blocking and a fresh banana HP with this then all would be happy on this board most likely

Wait until mid Dec

Yea mid to late december we should start seeing some wholesale changes for the better over greenland and el nino better establishing its dominance in the overall pattern on the pacific side. not worried one bit, its november hard to be pissed about losing snow in a month where it is climatologically unlikely to occur as measurable precip anyway

Yea mid to late december we should start seeing some wholesale changes for the better over greenland and el nino better establishing its dominance in the overall pattern on the pacific side. not worried one bit, its november hard to be pissed about losing snow in a month where it is climatologically unlikely to occur as measurable precip anyway

Ill ask the same question i asked in another forum.....with this current storm (Thanksgiving Eve), not only was the GOM open for business but the flow of moisture was such that it originated from the Pacific, through Mexico and then through the gulf and up the coast. If this happens during the winter months with just a bit of blocking.....man we will have some historical storms. My question is this.... is that a result of a weak el nino and if so, can we expect more of that over the next couple of months?

Earthlight,

Any change or will all places 30 miles west/north of NYC go to mix later? Where do you see the cutoff points now with current temps, low development, etc?

I'm pretty sure the H7 warming will get past the Watchung Mountains in NJ if that's a good reference point there. I expect it to get as far north as BDL too in CT. The southerly jet at 650-700mb won't be denied. 

In NJ, I don't think it will make much progress past MMU if it even gets there. 

Kudos and congrads to ISOTHERM . Tom never bought the 3 inch amounts at KNYC and I think that ends up being the right call   .

That was a very good call in the face of some of the modeling and WSW that were up .

yep...also, no cold air source, a weaker low pressure system and climo said this was a long shot for the coast.

I'm pretty sure the H7 warming will get past the Watchung Mountains in NJ if that's a good reference point there. I expect it to get as far north as BDL too in CT. The southerly jet at 650-700mb won't be denied. 

In NJ, I don't think it will make much progress past MMU if it even gets there. 

Hey, Steve D is saying the track is east of guidance and the 700mb should follow resulting in a colder solution - why then is everyone - including you - so confident this event is a fail (for the areas noted).

Hey, Steve D is saying the track is east of guidance and the 700mb should follow resulting in a colder solution - why then is everyone - including you - so confident this event is a fail (for the areas noted).

Not sure what he's looking at..the H7 low is right over DC/Baltimore like it is forecast to be

Archived