joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 25-26 storm potential

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this from WPC - another reason why its so difficult to get major accumulations here in late March

SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...

OVER THE ERN HALF OF THE CONUS EXPECT A BROAD AREA OF HIGHS 10-25F

BELOW NORMAL MON-WED WITH PERHAPS SLIGHTLY LESS COVERAGE OF SUCH

EXTREMES FOR MIN TEMPS. SHRTWVS FEEDING INTO THE AMPLIFYING ERN

TROUGH ALOFT SHOULD GENERATE A BAND OF LGT TO PSBLY MDT SNOW

ACROSS PARTS OF THE MIDWEST/OH VLY INTO CNTRL APLCHNS MON-TUE WITH

THE DEVELOPING WRN ATLC STORM EXTENDING THE POTENTIAL FOR SNOW

FROM PORTIONS OF THE MID ATLC INTO THE NORTHEAST TUE-WED. E OF

THE APLCHNS ACCUMULATIONS WILL LIKELY DEPEND ON THE TIME OF DAY

SNOWFALL OCCURS AS WELL AS TRACK OF THE SFC LOW. AREAS NEAR THE E

COAST WILL ALSO HAVE TO MONITOR IMPACTS FROM STRONG WINDS

PRIMARILY LATE TUE INTO WED NIGHT.

If this storm directly hits us it will accumulate in May during the day

lol. I disagree. Daytime accumulations, once you hit late March/April, is very difficult. I experienced several episodes while living in Buffalo in which heavy snow was forecasted to accumulated 3,4,5 inches. Snowed heavily, but barely accumulated on grassy surfaces. The sun still gets through the overcast.

If this storm directly hits us it will accumulate in May during the day

We're obviously still way too far out to call it quits on this one. But that being said, the GFS actually has moved a bit east of where it was in some recent runs. Trend or not, It now just brushes even Nantucket, MA whereas earlier it was a big hit. The euro was also east. The GFS and the euro do match up quite well. The GGEM is of course a monster of a storm. However, I feel like we've been here before.....very, very recently. So if there is any "giving in" of a model, it would have to be all of the models to the GGEM. As I said earlier, I feel like this will be an all or nothing event. There's no doubt that all signs point to the storm itself being a powerhouse, but will we be able to feel those effects?

Sent from my iPhone

It actually brushes the southern half of CT, the heaviest precip brushes Nantucket, MA. I'm not sure if that was what you meant or not. Also the GGEM has been pretty good this year with the tracks of the storms and not so much intensity, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I agree with most on here that it is simply too far out to say it is a hit or a miss. The storm would impact the area Tuesday night into Wednesday. We have the rest of today, all of Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday to see what the models do and by Sunday we will surely have a better idea. Many forget that this would be a nor'easter, the other storms that we had were moving from west to east and got suppressed south. This is a completely different storm and models will have a completely different grip on this one. 

Hmmmmmm.....did I not say it would most likely go east, and I got hate? hmmm

Please stop with this nonsense, no trend has been established this is just little model waffling. Can you say something to back up what your saying? For reference the GGEM blew the last storm and is not really consistent at this range. The EURO at 12z will tell a more sensible story with its proven track record

I don't care if I get snow, From the beginning, we were most likely out of it, but people seem to think NYC is gonna get smashed, but I said it will trend east.

So you're in here telling us it's going east based on nothing but a hunch and it doesn't concern you anyway...hmm I think I understand

Anyway all models have a storm. That's the important point. 4 days out this solution is highly unlikely to verify. It could go east it could do west. Too soon to say without all the players on the field.

lol. I disagree. Daytime accumulations, once you hit late March/April, is very difficult. I experienced several episodes while living in Buffalo in which heavy snow was forecasted to accumulated 3,4,5 inches. Snowed heavily, but barely accumulated on grassy surfaces. The sun still gets through the overcast.

Lol true but how often does a 955mb beast hit us? I've seen snow stick during the middle of the day in October on the beaches in 2012

Exactly...You're predicting a model run, so what? We are 4-5 days away & all the models have a huge storm in our vicinity. Obviously by tonight I'd like to see some more close calls on the models, but common brah. 

I like where we stand right now with a sub 980 low near the benchmark.

Models are showing mostly a coastal scraper. This storm is going to be a monster. Right now a total ots solution hasn't really been depicted on the models. All we are talking about is a difference in 100 miles for a huge storm for us. With 4.5 days left, i think the models have been remarkably consistent with this storm.

A) A 955 mb winter storm never hits this area and won't be hitting this area.

B  ) Where was the beach? Maine?

C) It doesn't matter, this is going to miss east and I congratulate any meteorologist (irrespective of what HM might say) that is willing to make a stand and use objective reasoning to make a claim and call this a miss for the NYC metro (LI is still up for debate).

Lol true but how often does a 955mb beast hit us? I've seen snow stick during the middle of the day in October on the beaches in 2012

I've repeated this probably 100 times now, but on April 7, 2003 seven inches of snow accumulated in the afternoon on the beach. Snow can accumulate just fine during the day if it's cold enough and moderate or better. And this storm will have arctic jet involvement and plenty of cold west of the track.

Archived