• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December Banter

metalicwx366

At least, they don't tell the whole story. The devil's in the details. From a statistics point of view, the mean average is so susceptible to extreme values (outliers) which can skew their value. Perhaps we should begin to use the median more.

Exactly! Denver is never around average temperature. It's either very warm or very cold. Also the only reason we average 0.1 in January and February is because of big snowstorms in the past.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least, they don't tell the whole story.  The devil's in the details.  From a statistics point of view, the mean average is so susceptible to extreme values (outliers) which can skew their value.  Perhaps we should begin to use the median more.

......But the median's lower.  My inner weenie can't handle that!  :underthewx:

Since we've had plenty of cold lately, I've been kind of  enjoying the record/near record highs here in Savannah as a contrast. I ought to walk on the beach. If there's going to be record highs, this is the time of year I'd prefer to have them because it is kind of cool to be able to wear shorts in winter while others in the US are shivering their butts off, especially knowing that most of the winter is ahead of us and that we'll almost surely get cold again. If it were late winter, I wouldn't enjoy the warmth so much. I enjoy seeing these big changes. Also, the SE often sees warmth in advance of winter storms. When there is the rare near constant cold, it often is dry.

......But the median's lower.  My inner weenie can't handle that!  :underthewx:

The median what?  I was referring to temperatures, but by your post I gather you are referring to snowfall?  I would want the median temperature to be lower but not the median snowfall per month (regardless of whether they actually are or not).

The median what?  I was referring to temperatures, but by your post I gather you are referring to snowfall?  I would want the median temperature to be lower but not the median snowfall per month (regardless of whether they actually are or not).

Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about snowfall.

IIRC, the median snowfall here is more like 5-6" compared to an average of ~8.5".

In most areas that get relatively little S/IP, the few high years skew the averages so much that the median is quite a bit lower than the average. For example, in Atlanta going back to 1890, the average is near 2" but the median is only near 1". 63 years of the past 123 have had 1" or less of S/IP. So, if I'm a betting man and am given even odds, I wouldn't hesitate to bet against hitting the 2" average since only 48 of 123 or only 39% hit or exceeded the 2" average.

Hear hear! I'm kind of tired of the cold.  It's been cold and rainy since March.  I swear I heard some folks in town talking in English accents about cleaning chimneys.

Oo ay, you need a sweep, gov'ner? Or clean the Tommy Tinders? Oow about goin ta tha rub- a -dub for a Vera Lynn, and get Brahms and Liszt?

Alright stop, collaborate, and listen

Ice is coming, it's a winter edition

I read the thread, hold me tightly

Freezing rain falling daily and nightly

Will it ever stop? Yo, I don't know

To be truthful I'd rather have snow

To the extreme, ice falls like a vandal

Power goes off, light up a candle

Man, I heard a transformer go boom

It's so dark I can't see across the room

Deadly, when I sing a Christmas medoly

If it's just rain that would be a felony

Love it or hate it, you better prepare

Get your batteries, ice is in the air

I think we have a problem, yo, let's solve it

Check out the Euro while the board revolves it

Ice, ice, baby. It's coming, ice, ice, baby.

It's coming. Ice, ice, baby.

It's coming

Yo, word to your mutha.

Vanilla-Ice.jpg

Alright stop, collaborate, and listen

Ice is coming, it's a winter edition

I read the thread, hold me tightly

Freezing rain falling daily and nightly

Will it ever stop? Yo, I don't know

To be truthful I'd rather have snow

To the extreme, ice falls like a vandal

Power goes off, light up a candle

Man, I heard a transformer go boom

It's so dark I can't see across the room

Deadly, when I sing a Christmas medoly

If it's just rain that would be a felony

Love it or hate it, you better prepare

Get your batteries, ice is in the air

I think we have a problem, yo, let's solve it

Check out the Euro while the board revolves it

Ice, ice, baby. It's coming, ice, ice, baby.

It's coming. Ice, ice, baby.

It's coming

Yo, word to your mutha.

Vanilla-Ice.jpg

:clap: Ok Brick. That was pretty funny right there. Good work! :lol:

Archived