joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 16th-18th Storm General Discussion/Obs

Geos

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models indicating some gust potential of 45+ mph outside of thunderstorms here on Sunday with some potential to approach high wind warning criteria.

Was looking at that for up here too. I wanted to get out and golf given how warm it's going to be but it's no fun at all with wind gusts of 40mph. At that point it's a waste of money. 

Was looking at that for up here too. I wanted to get out and golf given how warm it's going to be but it's no fun at all with wind gusts of 40mph. At that point it's a waste of money. 

Might be a good day for the driving range if you want to crack 400 yrds ;)

Would not be surprised to see wind warnings in Ontario again, NAM showing potential for 50mph+ gusts up around here.

Euro takes the system down to 972mb on the latest run.

6hcdu.gif

00z NAM came in even faster with the system.  Severe looks quite far away from here now, so I'm starting to pay attention to the wind potential behind the front Sunday afternoon.  Would love to chase in November for the 1st time, but I'm not driving 300 miles east at storms that will be moving east at 60mph lol. 

NAM bombs the surface low below 980mb over Lake Superior during Sunday afternoon.  Could see some 40-50mph gradient gusts over Iowa and northern IL by later Sunday into Sunday night. 

Sure seems hard to get a storm to slow down and bomb over the MW this season.  This is at least the second one this season that doesn't really get bombing until it reaches the upper lakes, and then peaks well north of the lakes.  The progressive nature of some of these stronger storms through this area is starting to get old.  :axe:

Sure seems hard to get a storm to slow down and bomb over the MW this season.  This is at least the second one this season that doesn't really get bombing until it reaches the upper lakes, and then peaks well north of the lakes.  The progressive nature of some of these stronger storms through this area is starting to get old.  :axe:

Need some blocking/-NAO to slow systems down trying to progress northwards.

00z NAM came in even faster with the system.  Severe looks quite far away from here now, so I'm starting to pay attention to the wind potential behind the front Sunday afternoon.  Would love to chase in November for the 1st time, but I'm not driving 300 miles east at storms that will be moving east at 60mph lol. 

NAM bombs the surface low below 980mb over Lake Superior during Sunday afternoon.  Could see some 40-50mph gradient gusts over Iowa and northern IL by later Sunday into Sunday night. 

Yeah but the good thing about around here is that it's basically like the Plains. Absolutely no hills and lots of farmland in NW Ohio and a few hills in NE Indiana but not much

There is a thread about it, by November, who really gets excited about severe?

Perhaps if it was thunder snow.

Ha.

Well a T-storm is nice to see, but it just means the pattern isn't conducive for winter weather for that particular day.... Better than nothing I guess.

Just doing a quick comparison between the 00z GFS and 00Z NAM, and even comparing to the 18Z runs, and not only am I thinking like several people in here that d1 severe may have to go slight risk in an area inside a line containing CID/ISW/GRB/ORD/SPI/STL,

but d2 may have to go from ISW to GRB, APN, CYVV, CYOW, ART, ELM, UNV, JST, HTS, JKL, BNA, MEM, ARG, RFD for the slight risk, and moderate risk (wind gusts) for an area contained by a line from EVV, IND, FWA, TOL, DTW, BAX, MBS, RQB, ETB, SPI, MWA. that's just my guess, I'm sure others here have differing opinions, and please feel free to make changes.

but if you don't want to go moderate risk for day 2, i could also see a 30% wind prob in place of the mod risk for day 2.

thoughts, with SPC coming out in ~ 2 hours with the new d1?

I won't be surprised with a day 2 mod. However it's not a lock just yet. They may wait to day 1.

I would be very surprised if they didn't upgrade to moderate for day 2.  At the least we're looking at widespread severe for wind, which definitely supports a mod.  I expect a "beefily" worded moderate/hatched day2 in the next few hours. 

Just doing a quick comparison between the 00z GFS and 00Z NAM, and even comparing to the 18Z runs, and not only am I thinking like several people in here that d1 severe may have to go slight risk in an area inside a line containing CID/ISW/GRB/ORD/SPI/STL,

but d2 may have to go from ISW to GRB, APN, CYVV, CYOW, ART, ELM, UNV, JST, HTS, JKL, BNA, MEM, ARG, RFD for the slight risk, and moderate risk (wind gusts) for an area contained by a line from EVV, IND, FWA, TOL, DTW, BAX, MBS, RQB, ETB, SPI, MWA. that's just my guess, I'm sure others here have differing opinions, and please feel free to make changes.

but if you don't want to go moderate risk for day 2, i could also see a 30% wind prob in place of the mod risk for day 2.

thoughts, with SPC coming out in ~ 2 hours with the new d1?

You should post this in the severe thread. I'm assuming part of the LOT CWA (I work there) is going to be in the MDT for Day 2, with most if not all of the rest of the CWA in the Slight. Havent looked closely enough at tomorrow night, but it seems that trends support your thoughts.

I won't be surprised with a day 2 mod. However it's not a lock just yet. They may wait to day 1.

I would be very surprised if they didn't upgrade to moderate for day 2.  At the least we're looking at widespread severe for wind, which definitely supports a mod.  I expect a "beefily" worded moderate/hatched day2 in the next few hours. 

Completely agree. Also as an aside, even if the severe threat is completely east of your area, you'll have the probably at least advisory criteria winds behind the front to look forward to. 18z NAM had 10 mb/3hr pressure rises late afternoon/early evening and 925 mb winds up to 50 kt or so.

Archived