CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Moving past first week of January General Discussion/banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice cold shot this past week. Maybe some mood snow for the interior tomorrow.

Models are pointing towards a system by next weekend.

Duration of warm up is still in question. Euro mutes it to a few days.

It's going to be an extended period of non polar air but its also not going to be Virginia weather. Up and down until the 18th-20th

We're going to have a day or two where we furnace into the 50s I think. But hopefully the trough comes east fairly quickly like the 00z Euro shows...which actually gives us a winter storm threat on the 15th.

The worry is the Phil Scenario where the trough gets hung up to the west for an extra 48 hours and we just torch for 2 more days....that would finish off all the snow pack even up into CNE. Hopefully that doesn't happen and we get more of a 00z Euro.

I was enjoying the Feb 69 convo and poof oh time for a new thread.

That thread was like over 2000 replies, probably should have started a new one days ago.

Feb '69....still the greatest snow month ever for Ray. Over 64" there in the month.

Please GEFS.

If that pattern actually developed. We'd probably have a solid shot at our coldest day since Jan '04 or Jan '05.

Not that I really care that much about the cold unless we have snow. Jan '04 can go shove it for the lack of snow here. I guess we did keep our 3" snow pack on the ground all month. I'd take a lot of Januarys over 2004...but the cold would be interesting anyway.

That thread was like over 2000 replies, probably should have started a new one days ago.

Feb '69....still the greatest snow month ever for Ray. Over 64" there in the month.

Tough to find good synopsis and discussion about this storm because of the Lindsay Storm earlier in the month.

If that pattern actually developed. We'd probably have a solid shot at our coldest day since Jan '04 or Jan '05.

Not that I really care that much about the cold unless we have snow. Jan '04 can go shove it for the lack of snow here. I guess we did keep our 3" snow pack on the ground all month. I'd take a lot of Januarys over 2004...but the cold would be interesting anyway.

I would hit Jan 04 over and over, south of the Pike did better

Look at that pattern at the end, would be a great weenie pattern. That AK ridge retros enough to get a weak se ridge with the PV in Hudson Bay.

Yeah our snowpack is toast I think. Oh well it was fun while it lasted

We're going to have a day or two where we furnace into the 50s I think. But hopefully the trough comes east fairly quickly like the 00z Euro shows...which actually gives us a winter storm threat on the 15th.

The worry is the Phil Scenario where the trough gets hung up to the west for an extra 48 hours and we just torch for 2 more days....that would finish off all the snow pack even up into CNE. Hopefully that doesn't happen and we get more of a 00z Euro.

By "we" do you mean ORH?

As frustrating as January 2004 was, some of the best cold stories of my lifetime occurred that month. But January 2005 ...wow oh wow. I thought the GEFS looked great with the trof axis for plenty of storms with cold available.

Classic Kevin 3 step process to accepting the torch: 

Step 1: Yeah I don't think it will really be that bad...a day or 2 near 40 won't really do much for the snowpack...and back to deep winter right after.

Step 2: I mean yeah we might sneak a 50F in there for a day just like we've been saying. Then maybe a few days of 40s....but still no big deal. The mets here are making it sound like winter is over.

Step 3: Our snowpacks toast. A few days over 50F is terrible and I will not be opening the shades this whole week.

Looking at the North Conway site that ginxy posted....check out the photo gallery. One thing I want to do on the first summer post retirement is try to hike the huts across the Appalachian Trail. Time will not be an object and hopefully health won't be. Summer of 2018 is the target.

Jan 2004

2.3 Jan 2nd2.0 Jan 12th1.3 Jan 16th3.4 Jan 18th9.5 Jan 27th

This was the coldest January for Bridgeport, Conn., and Boston in a half century, according to the Northeast Regional Climate Center at Cornell University.

Boston's average temperature for the month was 20.7 degrees Fahrenheit and for Bridgeport it was 21.7 degrees, says Keith Eggleston, a senior climatologist at the center. The normal average January temperature for Boston is 29.3 degrees and for Bridgeport it is 29.9 degrees.

Jan 2004

2.3 Jan 2nd2.0 Jan 12th1.3 Jan 16th3.4 Jan 18th9.5 Jan 27th

This was the coldest January for Bridgeport, Conn., and Boston in a half century, according to the Northeast Regional Climate Center at Cornell University.

Boston's average temperature for the month was 20.7 degrees Fahrenheit and for Bridgeport it was 21.7 degrees, says Keith Eggleston, a senior climatologist at the center. The normal average January temperature for Boston is 29.3 degrees and for Bridgeport it is 29.9 degrees.

I recall Jan. '05 as having a fierce Arctic outbreak sometime around the 3rd or 4th of the month. I guess it didn't last too long though, Jan. '04 was clearly the colder month.

Classic Kevin 3 step process to accepting the torch:

Step 1: Yeah I don't think it will really be that bad...a day or 2 near 40 won't really do much for the snowpack...and back to deep winter right after.

Step 2: I mean yeah we might sneak a 50F in there for a day just like we've been saying. Then maybe a few days of 40s....but still no big deal. The mets here are making it sound like winter is over.

Step 3: Our snowpacks toast. A few days over 50F is terrible and I will not be opening the shades this whole week.

:lol:

Days and days and days and days of torch?

Archived