• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Moving past first week of January General Discussion/banter

Baroclinic Zone

We're going to have a day or two where we furnace into the 50s I think. But hopefully the trough comes east fairly quickly like the 00z Euro shows...which actually gives us a winter storm threat on the 15th.

The worry is the Phil Scenario where the trough gets hung up to the west for an extra 48 hours and we just torch for 2 more days....that would finish off all the snow pack even up into CNE. Hopefully that doesn't happen and we get more of a 00z Euro.

Day 3 and 4 are the best shot at that.  Multi-run/source suggestion for a default polar boundary situating N with west wind through +4 or 5C 850mb... even over snow pack one would intuit some gorgeous weather for those two days.  

The system next weekend has some ice potential to it in my estimation.  That actually looks pretty classic with 24 hour preceding confluence rolling out through SE Canada and a resulting strong +PP retreating NNE as the system approaches, strongly argue for a colder correction to the boundary layer.  

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still would expect this to be a very long 10 days for snow fans including myself. Just how it looks. Just how it likely will shake out.

I can't believe how the models fire up the MJO. Even taking into account the over-forecasted amplitude..still would argue for improvement down the road.

I still would expect this to be a very long 10 days for snow fans including myself. Just how it looks. Just how it likely will shake out.

I can't believe how the models fire up the MJO. Even taking into account the over-forecasted amplitude..still would argue for improvement down the road.

It's a fascinating and fortunate era for studying dominating factors.   No question, the polar indices are sending pretty much a 180 degree opposite temperature anomaly through the N/A circuit, while the MJO would push Crocus blooms before Feb 1st!   

We were talking daily low temps...not highs. Temps were not supposed to crash this afternoon.

There were posted comments this morning suggesting they would.

Been pretty damn steady all day long here since sunrise.  Managed a dip to 33.0 and a high of 35.5 bur primarily has been hovering between 33.5 and 34.5.  Dews have been dropping htough.

34.1/15 attm.

Man it keeps getting cut back, the fantasy 16 degree 850s replaced by 2-4s.

Pretty comical if we ended up just slightly above those days.

yep. sad but true. 

It's a fascinating and fortunate era for studying dominating factors.   No question, the polar indices are sending pretty much a 180 degree opposite temperature anomaly through the N/A circuit, while the MJO would push Crocus blooms before Feb 1st!   

perhaps that's why we are seeing the big arctic dump into the W. 

NAO fighting PNA. Now the euros propensity to hold back the energy in the SW actually argues for a better solution for all of ne. However I think we are pulling dingle berries and calling them fruit if we call this pattern anything other than woeful for winter lovers 1/8-16.

The GWO analogs eluded to this second warm up all the way back on Dec. 14. It will be short lived with the warmest air being tempered by cooler/colder air arriving in the Jan 10-13 range moving into the Jan 15-25 range with much colder air. Based on GWO and strat. analogs I'm guessing the coldest core of the 850 temps behind the short waves for the Jan 12-19 time frame will remain warmer than -15C then be reinforced with a coldest core of -15 to -25C for Jan 21-25 with a core of cold in the -25 to -30C range possibly as cold as -36C at some point for Jan 25-30. With -33C sneaking over the northern plains or GLKS or NE. Of course the cores of the coldest air will probably remain north of the border but still one can extrapolate what kind of 850 temps would be making down to the central US with those types of 850 temps just north of border.  With shortwaves arriving with more cold air for Jan 24-27 and Jan 27-29 and Feb 1-5. Though it appears the last week of Jan into Feb again would be the coldest air. Of course as stated before the caveat to these is how strong is the southerly flow ahead of these shortwaves that will also produce a spike in temps a day or two before the wave. So a strong wave will have a strong flow and could really spike temps for a day or two before it's arrive too. 

snapback.pngQVectorman, on 14 December 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

With the newest GWO numbers today the latest analogs indicate a 15-20F warm up in sfc temps Jan 3-Jan 6 compared to prior days highs across Midwest or NE (the Dec. 31-Jan 3 cold episode) and analogs suggest a stair stepped 15-20F temperature fall behind the warm up 1-2 days after that, meaning another spell of colder air Jan 5-8.

I extended my outlook through Jan 8 on Dec. 14. I still feel comfortable with those dates and with the newest GWO analogs and latest 10 and 30 mb temp forecast it appears the time frame between Jan 8-10 will see a warm up over the east with a short wave moving through the east Jan 10-11 with cooler air dropping in behind it for Jan 10-13 across the MW/GLKS and then pockets of cooler air arriving Jan 15-19 time frame for the east followed by a second reinforcement of cooler air Jan 20-24.

Those analogs seemed like they did OK Q-man. Nice job putting all that together.

Thanks! Glad I could contribute and add some pieces to the puzzle. I'm working with a friend on getting a program together to start coming up with the average temp anomalies for my analogs to add a little more depth to the data.  

The GWO analogs eluded to this second warm up all the way back on Dec. 14. It will be short lived with the warmest air being tempered by cooler/colder air arriving in the Jan 10-13 range moving into the Jan 15-25 range with much colder air. Based on GWO and strat. analogs I'm guessing the coldest core of the 850 temps behind the short waves for the Jan 12-19 time frame will remain warmer than -15C then be reinforced with a coldest core of -15 to -25C for Jan 21-25 with a core of cold in the -25 to -30C range possibly as cold as -36C at some point for Jan 25-30. With -33C sneaking over the northern plains or GLKS or NE. Of course the cores of the coldest air will probably remain north of the border but still one can extrapolate what kind of 850 temps would be making down to the central US with those types of 850 temps just north of border. With shortwaves arriving with more cold air for Jan 24-27 and Jan 27-29 and Feb 1-5. Though it appears the last week of Jan into Feb again would be the coldest air. Of course as stated before the caveat to these is how strong is the southerly flow ahead of these shortwaves that will also produce a spike in temps a day or two before the wave. So a strong wave will have a strong flow and could really spike temps for a day or two before it's arrive too.

snapback.pngQVectorman, on 14 December 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

With the newest GWO numbers today the latest analogs indicate a 15-20F warm up in sfc temps Jan 3-Jan 6 compared to prior days highs across Midwest or NE (the Dec. 31-Jan 3 cold episode) and analogs suggest a stair stepped 15-20F temperature fall behind the warm up 1-2 days after that, meaning another spell of colder air Jan 5-8.

I extended my outlook through Jan 8 on Dec. 14. I still feel comfortable with those dates and with the newest GWO analogs and latest 10 and 30 mb temp forecast it appears the time frame between Jan 8-10 will see a warm up over the east with a short wave moving through the east Jan 10-11 with cooler air dropping in behind it for Jan 10-13 across the MW/GLKS and then pockets of cooler air arriving Jan 15-19 time frame for the east followed by a second reinforcement of cooler air Jan 20-24.

That's an awfully cold signal for the climo bottom of winter!

The GWO analogs eluded to this second warm up all the way back on Dec. 14. It will be short lived with the warmest air being tempered by cooler/colder air arriving in the Jan 10-13 range moving into the Jan 15-25 range with much colder air. Based on GWO and strat. analogs I'm guessing the coldest core of the 850 temps behind the short waves for the Jan 12-19 time frame will remain warmer than -15C then be reinforced with a coldest core of -15 to -25C for Jan 21-25 with a core of cold in the -25 to -30C range possibly as cold as -36C at some point for Jan 25-30. With -33C sneaking over the northern plains or GLKS or NE. Of course the cores of the coldest air will probably remain north of the border but still one can extrapolate what kind of 850 temps would be making down to the central US with those types of 850 temps just north of border.  With shortwaves arriving with more cold air for Jan 24-27 and Jan 27-29 and Feb 1-5. Though it appears the last week of Jan into Feb again would be the coldest air. Of course as stated before the caveat to these is how strong is the southerly flow ahead of these shortwaves that will also produce a spike in temps a day or two before the wave. So a strong wave will have a strong flow and could really spike temps for a day or two before it's arrive too. 

You had us naked by your second sentence

Archived