1. 1. What was your favorite snowstorm?

• Boxing Day Dec 2010
    • January 1996 Blizzard
    • January 2016 Blizzard
    • Other

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blizzard of 78 for me.   It was crazy all day on 2/6, but then got truly insane after dark.  I've many stories, but one is that at my friends split level house, the drift was up to the roof-line on the tall side of the house. 

12/2010 is the closest we've had in terms of wind, but '78 was windier and at least for me had twice as much snow.  The coastal flooding in '78 exceeded that which occurred in this past weekend's event.

I have 3 or 4 snippet memories from 1969, but wish I could remember it better.  I know there was a lot of wind but don't remember that aspect.

Blizzard of 78 for me. It was crazy all day on 2/6, but then got truly insane after dark. I've many stories, but one is that at my friends split level house, the drift was up to the roof-line on the tall side of the house.

12/2010 is the closest we've had in terms of wind, but '78 was windier and at least for me had twice as much snow. The coastal flooding in '78 exceeded that which occurred in this past weekend's event.

I have 3 or 4 snippet memories from 1969, but wish I could remember it better. I know there was a lot of wind but don't remember that aspect.

Why do LI folks always leave out Juno and the other 1-2 25"+ storms that have occurred there the past 3 years???

And also Jan. 26-27, 2011. LI had 5"-6" an hour rates with constant thunder. People always forget the recent storms.

Why do LI folks always leave out Juno and the other 1-2 25"+ storms that have occurred there the past 3 years???

And also Jan. 26-27, 2011. LI had 5"-6" an hour rates with constant thunder. People always forget the recent storms.

I had lightning, thunder and heavy sleet right before the changeover but no thunder snow in my area. I know in nyc is was a different story. We did have 4" an hour rates for 3 hours in my area iirc.

If I was home this would probably be a tie with Jan 1996. The pictures and video I saw suggest this was right up there with it. Winds may have been a little stronger on Boxing Day but snow totals seem a good 4-6" higher. This also was longer lasting, so this would jump that spot. Nassau was a good place to be for that one, but it wasn't quite as prolific as over E NJ.

If you didn't pick January 96' it was for one of two reasons. You got under the heaviest banding during Boxing Day or you were too young to remember 96'. I could easily see someone younger picking January 16' that was too young for 96'.

Yeah I was 6 at the time od the 96 blizzard so I have vague memories of it. Boxing day was great here but Jan 27 2011 rates were heavier than boxing day. This blizzard was the best for me cuz i was in 12+ of heavy snow and strong winds. And I also finished with the most snow I ever measured in my area with 29 inches

If you didn't pick January 96' it was for one of two reasons. You got under the heaviest banding during Boxing Day or you were too young to remember 96'. I could easily see someone younger picking January 16' that was too young for 96'.

Jan. 2016 had 14 hours of heavy snow and higher amounts then 1996 at every single NYC location.

JFK: 30.5"

LGA: 27.9"

NYC: 26.8"

EWR: 28.1"

Jan. 2016 blows 1996 away in the metro area.

LGA and JFK had an astounding amount of 2"+ per hour rates and a couple 3" an hour rates. Unheard of.

96 still #1

Boxing day #2

2016 #3

The rest don't matter..lol

PD2 was bad.

1993 wasn't all that bad. Taint and dry slotted if I recall and only about 13" in Bloomfield, NJ.

This poll is mostly age dependant. Alot of youngins don't remember 93', 96 or 2003..lol

I fully remember 1993 and 1996 and obviously PD2. For the immediate NYC metro Jan. 2016 is the new king with the Blizzard of 1996 a close 2nd.

Period.

How can you say Boxing Day is worse when Jan. 2016 had much longer periods of heavy snow and much more snow at the NYC locations with an average of 28"?

Boxing Day was greater in a small area of NJ and even that I would argue because Jan. 2016 had the same 27"-34" amounts in those parts of NJ.

And honestly.. we may have had 25-30 inches in spots but this past storm was still nothing compared to 96.

Not sure why you keep saying "in spots."

EVERY SINGLE OFFICIAL NYC STATION WAS 27"-30.5" for Jan. 2016. That's where the far majority of people live.

I fully remember 1993 and 1996 and obviously PD2. For the immediate NYC metro Jan. 2016 is the new king with the Blizzard of 1996 a close 2nd.

Period.

How can you say Boxing Day is worse when Jan. 2016 had much longer periods of heavy snow and much more snow at the NYC locations with an average of 28"?

Boxing Day was greater in a small area of NJ and even that I would argue because Jan. 2016 had the same 27"-34" amounts in those parts of NJ.

I had 27" in Bloomfield Boxing day. It did more damage to the town. Drifts were deeper. Just a tougher storm to deal with.

96 I had over 30" and 15 foot drifts to deal with.

February 2006 had better rates in Manhattan at its peak.  Boxing Day was colder, windier, and had similar or better rates at peak. 1993 is the king for wind, and conditions at the worst were the best of all the storms I've experienced.  1/2000 wasn't super high impact but it was the only total surprise storm - as in, we thought we were going to be skunked literally a few hours before the snow started falling.  1996 was higher impact because, even though it was mas or menos the same storm as 2016, in the inteverning 20 years, with all the blizzards, we'd developed a much better snow removal infrastructure.  The 2011 Halloween storm was probably the most intense storm to experience of all of them - I literally had to run out of Central Park as branches started crashing down all around me.

2016 is a great storm, but for me in Manhattan its not the best, and there are probably 4 or 5 I'd put ahead of it.  There's more to life than total snowfall.

Archived