Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed.

Fwiw- I wasn't able to go out to BC with the crew I went with last season. They got back yesterday and had terrible condition out there. Thaw-freeze. Gotta be really thankful for what we got going on right now.

Yeah its been a real rough winter so far out west.  Some spots in Colorado like Steamboat had near their driest Januaries on record. 

Here's another shot from today of my border buddies. 

10609577_10102126075823870_4383766924110

Just looking at MPVs climo data for January. Finished -5.2 for the month. The high temp for the month was 50f back on the 4th and, interestingly enough, there wasn't a single day that had a low temp that stayed above freezing. I guess that makes sense with no big January thaw. There were 15 lows below 0. Pretty cold month and we started off February by throwing up a -17.5 day.

Event totals: 9.3” Snow/0.53" L.E.

The rest of the family was home today because of school cancellation, so they were able to get 12:00 P.M. measurements for the storm, and then I made 6:00 P.M. analyses.  The data for each period are below:

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 5.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.26 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 21.9

Snow Density: 4.6% H2O

Temperature: 6.8 F

Sky: Snow (5-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 16.5"

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.19 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 14.7

Snow Density: 6.8% H2O

Temperature: 0.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 19.0"

The snow density data would suggest that earlier today produced the snow with the highest ratios, and then they fell a bit toward evening.  On a seasonal note, this storm has been a notable boost, bringing snowfall within an inch of average according to my records.

Event totals: 9.5” Snow/0.55" L.E.

There was a final 0.2" of snow yesterday evening/overnight to finish off the accumulations from Winter Storm Linus.  After some larger dendrites and snow ratios of 15-20:1 during the middle of the storm yesterday, snowfall was back to those small, arctic-style flakes for that final round, and the ratio came down accordingly to 10:1.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: -11.1 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 18.0"

A look at seasonal snowfall as of this morning puts it at 98.8% of average according to my data, which is the closest to average it's been since December 27th.

Archived