• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter

jburns

Today is my 40th year of being a Tar Heel born. Roy and the Carolina basketball team are throwing me a party tonight at the Dean Dome.

Remember, UNC doesn't allow contraband on campus.  You'll need to turn in your reading glasses to campus police.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The precip totals have and continue to bust horribly! I just don't see why or how it's just suddenly going to stop because winter is about to be here!? I predict multiple bouts of cliff diving per winter event this winter! Many events will be predicting the big one is on the way, only to end up with flurries or sunny skies! Don't shoot the messenger, just keeping it real!

The precip totals have and continue to bust horribly! I just don't see why or how it's just suddenly going to stop because winter is about to be here!? I predict multiple bouts of cliff diving per winter event this winter! Many events will be predicting the big one is on the way, only to end up with flurries or sunny skies! Don't shoot the messenger, just keeping it real!

Don't say that bro...LOL

We're gonna get more of a Northern Winter this year..you'll see!! :ski:

For your backyard, Mack.  You're being quite egocentric in your analysis.  I was not expecting half an inch of rainfall today, and yet that's what I nearly got, IMBY.  The upstate of SC has been in, and continues to endure, a rather unfavorable upper air pattern.  Who knows when that might change?  Surely not I, but I think your tirade should be limited in its scope.

I suppose your house must be located somewhere in the general blue-shaded area indicated on the map below?  The region of NC roughly located between Interstates 77 and 85 has also been feeling the precipitation blues.  (Oooh, nice pun there.  Am I allowed to congratulate myself on that?)  However, the eastern half of NC along a line from Fayetteville to Raleigh to Rocky Mount has been blessed with quite the generous rain totals these last two months, as have the WNC foothills and basically the rest of SC other than your backyard.

ciuLEXv.png?1

For your backyard, Mack. You're being quite egocentric in your analysis. I was not expecting half an inch of rainfall today, and yet that's what I nearly got, IMBY. The upstate of SC has been in, and continues to endure, a rather unfavorable upper air pattern. Who knows when that might change? Surely not I, but I think your tirade should be limited in its scope.

I suppose your house must be located somewhere in the general blue-shaded area indicated on the map below? The region of NC roughly located between Interstates 77 and 85 has also been feeling the precipitation blues. (Oooh, nice pun there. Am I allowed to congratulate myself on that?) However, the eastern half of NC along a line from Fayetteville to Raleigh to Rocky Mount has been blessed with quite the generous rain totals these last two months, as have the WNC foothills and basically the rest of SC other than your backyard.

ciuLEXv.png?1

You see the yellow dot over downtown greenville, then a little SE of there is the blue? Between these is a tongue of light green ( 4-6) inches , I believe , going by the map key, that is over my house and very accurate! If that's 4-6 inches over 60 days , that's horrible! I guess it is isolated, just sucks when you keep track of the weather and enjoy gardening and landscaping and such, so I'm a little hypersensitive to the lack of precipitation! Thanks for the map, and I can provide ground truth, it's scarily accurate!

For your backyard, Mack.  You're being quite egocentric in your analysis.  I was not expecting half an inch of rainfall today, and yet that's what I nearly got, IMBY.  The upstate of SC has been in, and continues to endure, a rather unfavorable upper air pattern.  Who knows when that might change?  Surely not I, but I think your tirade should be limited in its scope.

I suppose your house must be located somewhere in the general blue-shaded area indicated on the map below?  The region of NC roughly located between Interstates 77 and 85 has also been feeling the precipitation blues.  (Oooh, nice pun there.  Am I allowed to congratulate myself on that?)  However, the eastern half of NC along a line from Fayetteville to Raleigh to Rocky Mount has been blessed with quite the generous rain totals these last two months, as have the WNC foothills and basically the rest of SC other than your backyard.

ciuLEXv.png?1

Holy crap, I live in a local desert.  If that keeps up this winter, there's going to be hell to pay!  :gun_bandana:  :sun:

Scarcely 4" in the last two months IMBY.  Fortunately, that means the grass doesn't grow much, which is nice.

You see the yellow dot over downtown greenville, then a little SE of there is the blue? Between these is a tongue of light green ( 4-6) inches , I believe , going by the map key, that is over my house and very accurate! If that's 4-6 inches over 60 days , that's horrible! I guess it is isolated, just sucks when you keep track of the weather and enjoy gardening and landscaping and such, so I'm a little hypersensitive to the lack of precipitation! Thanks for the map, and I can provide ground truth, it's scarily accurate!

I agree that it sucks.  Sorry.

Holy crap, I live in a local desert.  If that keeps up this winter, there's going to be hell to pay!  :gun_bandana:  :sun:

Scarcely 4" in the last two months IMBY.  Fortunately, that means the grass doesn't grow much, which is nice.

This map spells doom for I-85 specials this winter...

People will speak of the Sahara, the Atacama, the Kalihari, the Gobi, and the Eighty-Five.  All in the same breath.  It shall be commonplace.  And nomadic peoples shall flock to the Charlottean Oasis to water their thirsty herds of camels.

ciuLEXv.png?1

That blue in SC is basically centered right where I am.

I agree that it sucks.  Sorry.

This map spells doom for I-85 specials this winter...

People will speak of the Sahara, the Atacama, the Kalihari, the Gobi, and the Eighty-Five.  All in the same breath.  It shall be commonplace.  And nomadic peoples shall flock to the Charlottean Oasis to water their thirsty herds of camels.

Not sure.  It may just be that our skies will be healthier than the skies in the mountains and coastal plain this coming winter because the mountain and coastal plain skies will have to heal from all the rain they have been giving over these past months.  Our skies are fresh and ready to rock this winter.

:whistle:

Not sure. It may just be that our skies will be healthier than the skies in the mountains and coastal plain this coming winter because the mountain and coastal plain skies will have to heal from all the rain they have been giving over these past months. Our skies are fresh and ready to rock this winter.

:whistle:

My skies have had the dry heaves all summer! :)

Whats up Mack sky... how you doing man. Might send you a pm tomorrow.

But to my SE crew... wish all of snow lovers the best. Hope all you get plastered with atleast one good snow. No more storm observations from me. :sun:

What's up man , how you been? You ain't in the

' boro anymore? My nephew just opened a new little restaurant in Roxboro called T's corner buffet or restaurant , check it out if your still around! Only been open a few weeks.

What's up man , how you been? You ain't in the

' boro anymore? My nephew just opened a new little restaurant in Roxboro called T's corner buffet or restaurant , check it out if your still around! Only been open a few weeks.

Doing good. Nope no longer there moved about a month ago. After a 17 yr hiatus from central florida its time to come back home. Miss the family and really wasn't worth trying to keep a place up north so the house has been leased out. The weather is nice in NC but you see one snow flake ya seem them all.

So... thinking about going to the mountains this Winter with my g/f and two other friends.  During a major snow threat of course.  We definitely don't mind being around you weather nerds.  In fact, that would be a bonus!

Does anyone know or have a good place to go affordably?

So... thinking about going to the mountains this Winter with my g/f and two other friends.  During a major snow threat of course.  We definitely don't mind being around you weather nerds.  In fact, that would be a bonus!

Does anyone know or have a good place to go affordably?

First, what's affordable for you? 

Second, do you have a 4WD vehicle?

We rent the same cabin over and over on the TN side of the Smoky Mountains, just about 12 miles NE of Gatlinburg near a place called Pittman Center, more specifically, Cobbly Nob. I want to say it's $150 a night. Nice cabin, full kitchen, pool table, hot tub on the deck, awesome view of the the National Park right from your deck. 

http://www.cobbly.com/cabins/mountain-siesta/

Here are a couple of pictures I took from the deck this July

post-594-0-84084900-1412676154_thumb.jpg

post-594-0-10113900-1412676088_thumb.jpg

So, we were told at work today to not use the internet for personal reasons. Not even on breaks, because it could have a negative impact on business with using bandwith and is vulnerable to viruses. The examples given were sites like CNN, facebook, and youtube. But for some reason we have free wifi for guests that anyone sitting in the parking lot could use. Doesn't make any sense, and sounds like someone wants to control us and make us work like robots.

So, we were told at work today to not use the internet for personal reasons. Not even on breaks, because it could have a negative impact on business with using bandwith and is vulnerable to viruses. The examples given were sites like CNN, facebook, and youtube. But for some reason we have free wifi for guests that anyone sitting in the parking lot could use. Doesn't make any sense, and sounds like someone wants to control us and make us work like robots.

I see you're complying with that policy nicely.

We have internet access based on groups in Active Directory. Kids have one level, teachers have another, and admins/tech people have another one. THEN... after you are authenticated, there are other levels of checking based on blacklist, keywords, etc. We also have a guest and two BYOD networks that also restrict what you can and can't do. We have a total of 6 different wireless networks here. Fun...

It has nothing to do with technology. Just someone who is in charge wants to show control, even though productivity has not been effected. I just hate that micromanagement and control stuff. If the work is getting done, who cares? And it is going the opposite way of most successful companies today.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1792349/half-young-professionals-value-facebook-access-smartphone-options-over-salary-report

Archived