• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The rarity of 600 dm heights @ 500 mb

Hoosier

We've been talking about it in other threads but what's going on now can be considered historic even though the sensible weather really isn't.  The 00z July 15 Pittsburgh sounding and now the 00z July 16 Wilmington OH sounding have come in with a 500 mb height of 600 dm, with a rare 600 dm contour on tonight's analysis. 

post-14-0-48385400-1373947181_thumb.gif

I came across this list of 600 dm height occurrences.  It covers the period from 1957-2006. 

http://www.weathergraphics.com/tim/above600.txt

I don't recognize some of the stations on that list, and some of them probably don't exist anymore, so the only ones I recongize in this subforum are:

12z 6/15/78 KDAY
12z 7/17/03 KDVN

I checked some dates from 2007-present and couldn't find any additional ones but certainly possible I could've missed something. 

Perhaps as unusual as the values themselves is the way that this has happened.  This isn't a ridge that has built eastward from the Plains, which is what you would normally expect this time of year...it's just the opposite with the ridge building in from the east and strengthening.   

There may be a chance at another 600 dm reading tomorrow before the ridge weakens a bit.  We'll see.

Actually, it looks like the DAY sounding is too.

I think you're right. Other obs from that day don't really support it. Well then, it might be even more unusual than what it seemed. Of course we are at the mercy of fairly widely spaced observation sites so it's possible that marginal cases slip through.

A: what is the significance?

B: what does "dm" stand for, or what does it measure?

dm is decameters which is a unit of measurement (1 decameter=10 meters). 600 dm is difficult to achieve at least in this part of the country. We've seen countless summer ridges with peak heights in the mid/upper 590's but getting that last little bit to get to 600 is tough. It is an indicator of a deeply warm airmass that is in place. A red tagger could explain this better but a simple way to think of it is that the heat bubble is pushing the 500 millibar pressure level to a height that is higher (in this case, ~600 dm) than normal.

dm is decameters which is a unit of measurement (1 decameter=10 meters). 600 dm is difficult to achieve at least in this part of the country. We've seen countless summer ridges with peak heights in the mid/upper 590's but getting that last little bit to get to 600 is tough. It is an indicator of a deeply warm airmass that is in place. A red tagger could explain this better but a simple way to think of it is that the heat bubble is pushing the 500 millibar pressure level to a height that is higher (in this case, ~600 dm) than normal.

Thanks Hoosier! So, then. 600dm= 6,000m or 19,685 ft? Or do I have that wrong?

Thanks for the explanation. Makes things easier for a weather noob like me to understand

Thanks Hoosier! So, then. 600dm= 6,000m or 19,685 ft? Or do I have that wrong?

Thanks for the explanation. Makes things easier for a weather noob like me to understand

I'm a newb when it comes to heights, would this provide a efficient transport of lower level moisture further up in the column?

Like I said, newb.

Thicknesses are very impressive, but the heat wave is rather meager for July. Still cool though.

I don't even fully understand this thickness stuff in the summer lol...but I do know that from a sensible weather aspect (as unbearable as it is) this heatwave is NOTHING. Why are the temps not more impressive if the 600dm heights are so epic?

I don't even fully understand this thickness stuff in the summer lol...but I do know that from a sensible weather aspect (as unbearable as it is) this heatwave is NOTHING. Why are the temps not more impressive if the 600dm heights are so epic?

The 600 dm heights were more of a result of an unusually deeply warm airmass. During the peak height period, freezing levels were really high (like 17-18k feet) and the 500-600 mb layer was quite warm. Deeply warm doesn't always equate to blowtorch/record warmth, and 850 mb temps were not terribly impressive.

Sometimes the extreme 100F situations in the Midwest and Great Lakes have more of a dry airmass that develops in the south central (or even the desert) that moves to the Midwest, with drought-type soil moisture, like last year.  Right now, we have a high-moisture, high-PW airmass that developed on top of us, along with medium or high soil moisture.

The 600 dm heights were more of a result of an unusually deeply warm airmass. During the peak height period, freezing levels were really high (like 17-18k feet) and the 500-600 mb layer was quite warm. Deeply warm doesn't always equate to blowtorch/record warmth, and 850 mb temps were not terribly impressive.

Thanks for the explanation!

Archived