• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

Another 1-3" tonight, maybe more if upslope can crank for a bit following the front.

It wasn’t quite a carbon copy of yesterday morning, but the this morning’s weather at the house was certainly reminiscent – 0.18” of liquid in the gauge and a temperature a degree warmer at 42 F. The rain was only light/moderate at 6:00 A.M. observation time, but I heard some much heavier precipitation come through around 4:30 A.M. I figured that the snow line could be a little higher with the slightly warmer temperature, but the Mt. Mansfield ridgeline thermometer is reading the same 30 F as yesterday at this time, so we’ll see how it goes. Roger Hill looked around at some of the regional weather stations this morning during his broadcast, and said that Saranac Lake at 1,800’ reporting unknown precipitation at 35 F was probably a sign of some mixing there. Relative to yesterday, the precipitation seems a lot more widespread this morning based on the radar:

12OCT12A.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grabbed a picture of yesterday morning’s snow for my web page report, but I figured I’d add it here in the NNE thread for reference. The snow line yesterday morning seemed like it was higher than it was on Monday morning based on Powderfreak’s images but it was difficult to tell from my pictures later in the day after some melting had already occurred. There’s lots of color here in the Champlain Valley, but still plenty of green trees as well, so that provides some nice contrast to the snow in the peaks.

11OCT12A.jpg

It's snowing as far south as the summit of Mount Snow according to the view on the summit webcam and it looks like Mt Greylock might be getting some snow or mixed precipitation at the summit right now as per radar.

Snow on Greylock would probably cheese off Pickles as he was there just a couple days ago. Hoping I see some snow on the ground on Bond tomorrow.

A colleague just told me his wife emailed him to say it was snowing at their house in Barre Town. Yay!, unsubstantiated third-hand eyewitness reports for FTW!

Yeah, from here on the hill at UVM I can see snow crashing out all along the spine – first time I’ve seen that this season. It’s 26 F on Mansfield, so it’s definitely snow; it’s getting all the way down into the town of Stowe based on what Powderfreak reported. I snapped some pictures and I’ll see if any of them work out to show the snowfall.

Yeah, from here on the hill at UVM I can see snow crashing out all along the spine – first time I’ve seen that this season. It’s 26 F on Mansfield, so it’s definitely snow; it’s getting all the way down into the town of Stowe based on what Powderfreak reported. I snapped some pictures and I’ll see if any of them work out to show the snowfall.

Yeah I don't think I'd call it "snow" because its not flakes, but its graupel balls.

But they are even making it down here in town and they come in brief heavy bursts. Here's what they looked like on my windshield:

It may not be snow but its frozen and white, so we'll take it in the low elevations this time of year, haha.

Edit, maybe not graupel in Barre....

I think its straight up snowing here in Stowe now. These are not falling hard like graupel but fluttering like flakes. Is that even possible? Its like 40F outside.

I really think it is just straight up snowing now. This is awesome.

Solid upslope response.

With cold temps aloft, wetbulbing and melting acting to cool the atmosphere, you can get snow in situations like this.

I can now report that I witnessed snow/graupel with my own eyes. Went out at lunch and it was lightly sprinkling, the white stuff strted when the prceip intensity picked up and stopped when it got lighter. You can see the hills above 1000' - 1100' shrouded in white haze from time to time. seems like the forecasts called for this only in the higher elevations. Even though there is absolutely no correlation between now and winter, I choose to look at this as a positive sign for overperfoming events this winter. :mapsnow:

I can't believe how low these levels are. Since I got to topnotch 45 min ago it has been snowing lightly the entire time at under 1000ft. It tapers to flurries, then pours grauple, then goes over to flakes and then the sun comes out and then it goes dark again...but most of the time it's easily identifiable flakes not small hail.

Anyone else see these zone forecasts...usually these are geared towards the valleys so the light accum part is puzzling.

Saturday Night

Snow showers likely or a chance of rain showers. Light snow accumulation possible. Lows in the lower 30s. South winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Sunday

Rain or snow showers likely. Little or no additional snow accumulation. Highs in the mid 50s. South winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

First frozen precip Oct 12th!! After front came through this AM we had a bried moderate rain shower mixed with a few mangled snow flakes. Skies cleared. This afternoon has been partly cloudy but around 1pm we had a brief light grapel/snow shower. Didn't last long but the white compressed flakes were bouncing around for a minute or two.

Alpha where are you again?

Still flurrying out. Like softly falling flurries and real flakes. We must've mixed down some real cold air or upslope is cooling the atmosphere because we shouldn't be getting these lazy upslope style flakes at 40F.

I can't wait for colder surface temps because these are the days that fly under the radar and lead to a couple inches of fluff.

Archived