Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first 32 at SLK? I would think thats a week or so late

Actually looks like a week early from the median date... the record of period for SLK on BTV's freeze climo page is quite small but seems about right. SLK ASOS location is always earlier than the other Adirondack stations:

dacks_fa.png

Great resource for 32F climo in BTV's CWA for both spring and fall...

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/climo/freeze/

44F this morning... not as cold as yesterday... and it looks like Montpelier edged us by a degree with 43F at MPV ;)

Here are this morning's lows... the usual pocket of cold in the NE corner:

Cooler than I saw at my house but it was about 6:45 when I checked. I need to upgrade my thermometer to one that records the max and min. :arrowhead:

Cooler than I saw at my house but it was about 6:45 when I checked. I need to upgrade my thermometer to one that records the max and min. :arrowhead:

Yeah without a 24 hour max/min function you'll never know how cold or warm you get... it can fluctuate so quickly too, you could check it every hour or even half hour and still miss the minimum temperature, haha.

Take MPV's nearby readings... the observations were between 45F and 46F all night, but the 6hr min is 43F but it probably only touched it very briefly between some ob.

I see it a lot at MVL, too.... the lowest hourly observation will be like 48F but the minimum temp is 45F from some drop in-between obs.

44F this morning... not as cold as yesterday... and it looks like Montpelier edged us by a degree with 43F at MPV ;)

I saw a comment in the Signs of the Season thread at AlpineZone that Mt. Washington was below freezing last night, and indeed the Mt. Washington website confirms this. After a quick look through the August data in their archive, it appears that it was the first time this month, so perhaps it is a sign of the season. It’s the end of August, and Saturday is September though, so presumably it must be about time for sub-freezing temperatures on the rockpile.

Just looking ahead here as I get settled with my clusterf*ck schedule during my junior year (Student teaching lower level MET courses, forecasting for VT AOT, taking junior core of MET, etc).

Looks as though tomorrow will be rather warm around the north country...nice warm tongue of air advecting in from the west-southwest (near 18C at 850)...probably suggesting mid 80s in lowest elevations and upper 70s higher up.

Maybe some Isaac moisture early next week in combination with an approaching cold front, too.

After this, both the GFS and the EURO advertise throughiness in the east d7 and beyond, which will be something to watch for, especially for typical forst prone regions of NNE.

Hope everyone's doing well, and I hope to be on here a lot more now that school has started and I'm settling in!

PS- 42.9F here last night!

I saw a comment in the Signs of the Season thread at AlpineZone that Mt. Washington was below freezing last night, and indeed the Mt. Washington website confirms this. After a quick look through the August data in their archive, it appears that it was the first time this month, so perhaps it is a sign of the season. It’s the end of August, and Saturday is September though, so presumably it must be about time for sub-freezing temperatures on the rockpile.

I would think that August 30th is late for the first freezing/sub-freezing reading. OT, but is it just me, or does alpinezone stink more than ever as a forum?

Hey CTsnowstorm....what areas are you forecasting for the agency of transportation? Do they break it up by counties or towns or specific roads?

I do the whole state of VT. They break it up into nine zones, based on where each local AOT headquarters is. I technically start Nov. 1, but it'll most likely start at the first snowfall/winter wx event.

In warren, winds have been howling for a few hours now.

Yeah, the southerlies came up last night at our place too. I went out with the dawg before hitting the rack and was surprised at how balmy and breezy it was. Felt nice.

Once I saw/felt that I knew it would be a warmer two-wheeled ride to work this morning...and indeed that was the case; a full ten degrees warmer this morn than the past couple. Actually made for a wonderful ride. Too bad I had to stop and go to work. Just wanted to keep on rollin'.... :bike:

Strong shear, decent CAPE later today, trigger in the cold front. Only issues I think will be diurnal heating...pretty cloudy here. Still think we might have some decent storms later today...primary threat of damaging winds and hail.

Same here cloud cover is a limiting factor right now keeping us from more instability, Lets hope we can break through in the next couple hours, This could be one of our last convective chances heading into fall

Same here cloud cover is a limiting factor right now keeping us from more instability, Lets hope we can break through in the next couple hours, This could be one of our last convective chances heading into fall

Agreed. I think we break out into some sunshine later on, but I do really think it will limit the "outbreak". Some people will be disappointed later today I think.

Agreed. I think we break out into some sunshine later on, but I do really think it will limit the "outbreak". Some people will be disappointed later today I think.

Agreed, Welcome back to NNE, We may be in for a decent winter up this way if everything goes right out in the PAC

Touched 41 Wed morning, coolest since June. When I left at 7:10 AM for a 2-day woods trip it had risen only to 43, and that's where the index was when I looked yesterday. Based on nearby stations, yesterday's minimum IMBY was 43-44. Moderately strong S-SW winds toward dawn kicked the sunrise temp up into the upper 60s; at 7 AM the warmest temperature on the GYX list (NE plus NYC) was MLT at 74, 10F milder than some S.Maine locations.

Bit of -RA here in AUG, barely enough to wet the sidewalks. Radar shows an area of 30-40 dbz echoes to westward, but it appears to be weakening as it comes east. Still, it's probably more than enough clouds to spike any TS chances. As Dryslot noted, the convection season is about over. For my home, 74% of all TS occur June-August, and only 8% Sept-Dec.

Yup. I really think that even if we get some sun (break showing up in BTV area now) it may be too little too late. There may be a few ragged lines of elevated convection but that may do it.

SPC is still bullish for late aft into eve once this lead wave moves thru, We may see some diurnl heating as we get some sunny breaks but will it be enough, We will see later

..NRN NY/NEW ENGLAND TODAY/EARLY TNGT...

SATELLITE SHOWS QUE SHORTWAVE TROUGH...AND LEAD SPEED

MAX NOW SE ONT...CONTINUING TO PROGRESS ESE TOWARD UPSTATE NY/NEW

ENGLAND. ASSOCIATED COLD FRONT ATTM EXTENDS FROM SRN LK HURON ENE TO

THE ST LAWRENCE VLY...AND SHOULD CONTINUE ESE INTO NY/CNTRL NEW

ENGLAND BY MID EVE. MOISTURE OVER SLIGHT RISK AREA WILL REMAIN

LIMITED...BUT WILL SOMEWHAT INCREASE AS A RESULT OF MOISTENING BY

ELEVATED SHOWERS/STORMS WITH LEAD IMPULSE...AND VIA ADVECTION FROM

THE W.

WHILE SPARSE MOISTURE AND CLOUDS WITH LEAD IMPULSE WILL SOMEWHAT

LIMIT INSTABILITY...A NARROW EML WILL BE PRESENT ACROSS THE

REGION...MORE OR LESS PARALLEL TO THE COLD FRONT. UPLIFT ALONG THE

FRONT...GRADUAL INCREASE IN MOISTURE...AND SFC HEATING SHOULD

SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF SCTD TSTMS THIS AFTN...MOST LIKELY IN SE

ONT/SRN QUE. THIS ACTIVITY SHOULD CONTINUE MOVING/DEVELOPING ESE

INTO NRN NY/NRN NEW ENGLAND A BIT LATER IN THE DAY AS LARGER SCALE

TROUGH AMPLIFIES TOWARD REGION. DEEP...SEASONABLY STRONG /45-60 KT

WINDS IN THE 700-500 MB LAYER/ WNW FLOW MAY FOSTER BOTH SUPERCELLS

AND SHORT BOWING SEGMENTS...WITH AN ACCOMPANYING RISK FOR DMGG WIND

AND HAIL. AN ISOLD TORNADO ALSO MAY OCCUR...BUT

LOW-LVL SHEAR/MOISTURE/BUOYANCY EACH WILL BE RATHER MARGINAL FOR

A SUSTAINED TORNADO THREAT. THE STORMS SHOULD WEAKEN BY MID EVE WITH

LOSS OF DAYTIME HEATING.

This was supposed to be my last searing hot day before I begrudgingly surrender this thread to the hands of powderfreak until next summer. :(

78.1 depressingly comfortable degrees right now.

Your tropical paradise is coming to a close, Can't wait for the kill shot 1st frost...

Archived