• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

Had quite a squall last night which deposited 0.7" of fresh snow. Ground's white for now.

One of the great things about living here are the views I get everyday. On the way to work I get the view of the Greens and Worcester Range and on the way home it's the Knox Range and Orange Heights. It never gets old. Oh yeah, little bit od accumulation on the deck.

Agreed--Barre is nicely situated for views, particularly the high parts of Barre Town on either side of downtown. We have nice views here at the house too but it's all east-east-east. I can't see much more than 100 yeards to the west--big hill & deep woods.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but if you are snowing and so is Allenson and mreaves, I'd be pretty much all of the northern third of VT is seeing a steady light snow now.

The ol' eastern VT radar hole! And excercise in extrapolation. ;)

Off and on flurries here all day a including now. To go along with the other reports here today, Mt Cube 2900' was white on the top 3rd this afternoon.

Did it clear off? I missed it--twas obscured when I was steaming up and down the valley yesterday...

Event totals: 0.8” Snow/0.16” L.E.

The overnight snow totaled 0.6” at the house, and 0.03” of liquid was pulled out of the core, but it was one of those situations where rain/slush had frozen on the snowboard – not the easiest cores to produce with perfect accuracy. The rain gauge in winter mode collected 0.06” of total liquid from the rain and snow, so the core is probably in the ballpark for the portion of the precipitation that didn’t melt on contact. It looks like the next snow threat affecting this area would be on Sunday, with some potential during the midweek period next week as well.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 28.0 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: Trace

Event totals: 0.8” Snow/0.16” L.E.

The overnight snow totaled 0.6” at the house, and 0.03” of liquid was pulled out of the core, but it was one of those situations where rain/slush had frozen on the snowboard – not the easiest cores to produce with perfect accuracy. The rain gauge in winter mode collected 0.06” of total liquid from the rain and snow, so the core is probably in the ballpark for the portion of the precipitation that didn’t melt on contact. It looks like the next snow threat affecting this area would be on Sunday, with some potential during the midweek period next week as well.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 28.0 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: Trace

You took a snow core of .6 inches?

:weenie: extraordinaire

You took a snow core of .6 inches?

I use an Adjust-a-cup style measuring device (images below) for coring, so if desired, one can core samples right down to 0.1” – you just compress the snow into a disc and it can be manipulated fairly easily. Sometimes I’ll stack several cores within the Adjust-a-cup and get a quick average. Taking a core of the snow was really the only option available to me in this case to discriminate the frozen portion of yesterday’s precipitation from among the total liquid, and the CoCoRaHS data input sheet requests both values, so I try to provide them. Adjust-a-cup images:

adjustacup1.jpgadjustacup2.jpg

The views of the fresh snow in the mountains today are fantastic, especially with the mostly sunny skies. The visible snow line is at ~2,000’ from what I can see here in my office. The president flew in today, so it’s great to have the mountains looking picturesque:

6883810780_e19b143152.jpg

President Obama's Touch-Down in Burlington, Vermont by JAG::PHOTO, on Flickr

More pictures of the president’s arrival/snow in the Greens are available at the above link.

I use an Adjust-a-cup style measuring device (images below) for coring, so if desired, one can core samples right down to 0.1” – you just compress the snow into a disc and it can be manipulated fairly easily. Sometimes I’ll stack several cores within the Adjust-a-cup and get a quick average. Taking a core of the snow was really the only option available to me in this case to discriminate the frozen portion of yesterday’s precipitation from among the total liquid, and the CoCoRaHS data input sheet requests both values, so I try to provide them. Adjust-a-cup images:

adjustacup1.jpgadjustacup2.jpg

The views of the fresh snow in the mountains today are fantastic, especially with the mostly sunny skies. The visible snow line is at ~2,000’ from what I can see here in my office. The president flew in today, so it’s great to have the mountains looking picturesque:

More pictures of the president’s arrival/snow in the Greens are available at the above link.

Nice. What is that mountain? Mansfield?

Just a few weenie flakes out there this morning.

Spent yesterday (and will be today too) pruning some gnarly old pasture apple trees for some clients up at 2200' in Vershire, VT. Probably the highest trees I've ever worked on. The lowest would be right at sea-level when I was once hired years ago to work on some trees out on the Isles of Shoals.

Anyway, it was a pretty glorious day out there yesterday. Here's the last of six trees I tackled with Powderfreak's haunt in the background. ;)

6885643036_c9e98c0635_z.jpg

And finally saw Moosilauke re-whitened from our driveway:

6885644766_1e753d4a66_z.jpg

Nice. What is that mountain? Mansfield?

That’s actually Camel’s Hump (4,083’); it’s the mountain in the background on the Vermont State Quarter, and depending on where one is viewing it from, it does indeed look like the hump of a camel. Its peak is about 400 ft lower than Mt. Mansfield’s, but it’s definitely a distinctive landmark along the spine of the Greens as seen from the from the Burlington area (and other directions as well). According to the Camel’s Hump site at Peakbagger.com, the summit has almost 2,000’ of clean prominence, so it’s certainly one of the major peaks along the spine. It also juts up sufficiently above some of the local peaks surrounding it like Bald Hill (3,040’), and is far enough away from other local peaks like Mt. Ethan Allen (3,688’) and Mt. Ira Allen (3,460’) that it stands out fairly dramatically.

That’s actually Camel’s Hump (4,083’); it’s the mountain in the background on the Vermont State Quarter, and depending on where one is viewing it from, it does indeed look like the hump of a camel. Its peak is about 400 ft lower than Mt. Mansfield’s, but it’s definitely a distinctive landmark along the spine of the Greens as seen from the from the Burlington area (and other directions as well). According to the Camel’s Hump site at Peakbagger.com, the summit has almost 2,000’ of clean prominence, so it’s certainly one of the major peaks along the spine. It also juts up sufficiently above some of the local peaks surrounding it like Bald Hill (3,040’), and is far enough away from other local peaks like Mt. Ethan Allen (3,688’) and Mt. Ira Allen (3,460’) that it stands out fairly dramatically.

That's an awesome photo of Air Force One landing in Vermont. Shows just how close the Champlain Valley is to the big snowy peaks of the Spine, but at the same time its like an entirely different climate only 10-15 miles away.

New nam gives the Ekster residence 3" of wet snow tomorrow night. We'll see how it goes. Temp should come down quick at the sfc...the lapse rates in the low levels are very steep.

That's good to hear. I'm concerned with too much warmth in the boundary layer... been an issue lately it seems. Even the NAM is pretty warm at the SFC when the precipitation is falling. Rain to snow scenario?

f30.gif

That's good to hear. I'm concerned with too much warmth in the boundary layer... been an issue lately it seems. Even the NAM is pretty warm at the SFC when the precipitation is falling. Rain to snow scenario?

Yeah, definitely a RN and SN scenario. I like my spot...that's where the best forcing will be...and thus best uvv's to help cool the column more quickly. Back toward BTV...I think it will be hard to go to accum SN...just not enough QPF and UVV's.

Upper teens at my place this morning, after yesterday's 46/15 and gorgeous. Some flakes mid-morn yesterday in CON (we were there for a conference) but mostly sunny when we haded north at 3:30. GYX says 1" for MBY tonight - dry air and midlevels favor snow, qpf favors "not much".

Don't have Friday's max (was 36 at 1:45 when we headed to CON), but my estimated March mean came in about 0.6F less warm than March 2010. Much warmer at the top this year, but also had 11 days with subnormal temps, including the final 6, while 3/10 was above normal 28 of 31.

Today marks the end of my operating season snowfall collection so here are the totals between November 23rd and April 1st:

Barnes Camp Snow Plot

Elevation: 1,549ft

Seasonal Snowfall: 136"

Max Depth: 42" (March 4, following 39" in 7 days)

High Road Snow Plot

Elevation: 3,014ft

Seasonal Snowfall: 211"

Max Depth: 73" (March 4, following 60" in 8 days)

What I find interesting is that at both locations, the max depth is approximately 1/3rd of the seasonal snowfall total. That goes with my theory that max snow depths on this mountain historically are usually about 30% of seasonal snowfall. Thus the many years the snow stake hits 100", we pretty much always have 325"+ seasonal snowfall.

Also, the 15-year average snowfall prior to this winter was 325". Putting this winter in, drops the average to 317"... a full 8" reduction in the 15-year average, as this was the least snowiest winter of those 15 years (by almost 3 feet) with the next closest 2009-2010 with 246".

Today marks the end of my operating season snowfall collection so here are the totals between November 23rd and April 1st:

Barnes Camp Snow Plot

Elevation: 1,549ft

Seasonal Snowfall: 136"

Max Depth: 42" (March 4, following 39" in 7 days)

High Road Snow Plot

Elevation: 3,014ft

Seasonal Snowfall: 211"

Max Depth: 73" (March 4, following 60" in 8 days)

What I find interesting is that at both locations, the max depth is approximately 1/3rd of the seasonal snowfall total. That goes with my theory that max snow depths on this mountain historically are usually about 30% of seasonal snowfall. Thus the many years the snow stake hits 100", we pretty much always have 325"+ seasonal snowfall.

Also, the 15-year average snowfall prior to this winter was 325". Putting this winter in, drops the average to 317"... a full 8" reduction in the 15-year average, as this was the least snowiest winter of those 15 years (by almost 3 feet) with the next closest 2009-2010 with 246".

Thanks for everything you do over there PF, great obs! Looking forward to forecasting for the Stowe area on the VT DOT, and of course you'll get my premium (yes they consider it a premium forecast during high impact events lol) stuff first right before I send it out ! ;)

Collection of my March snowfall data is complete, so I’ve updated the ‘11-‘12 monthly snowfall graph for this location and added it below:

1112monthlysnowfall.jpg

I’ve left the vertical axis on the graph at a scale that more typically accommodates the monthly snowfall values I’ve seen here (often at least one of the midwinter months hits that 50 to 70-inch range) so it provides some perspective on where the season sits relative to some of the previous ones out of these last six. With March coming in well below average for snowfall, it slides in with all the other below average monthly totals for the season, except October and November, which actually were about average. The plot does have a nice symmetrical, pyramidal shape at this point though, topping out when the climatology says it should be coldest. As of April 1st, snowfall here for this season is at 69.7% of the mean calculated from my past five seasons worth of data, and is outside the one standard deviation mark at -1.113 S.D. The snowfall of 114.8” through April 1st is still holding fairly close to the ‘09-‘10 season total, which was only 119.6” as of this date.

Archived