Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.05” L.E.

Last night’s disturbance dropped 0.5” of snow here in the valley; the first part was a little crusty on the snowboard since it was above freezing early on, and there are also some graupel-like flakes in there later. On a seasonal note, the 0.5” from this event brought the January ’12 snowfall to 27.7” and pushed it just past the total snowfall for January ’08.

Some details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 29.3 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

The Burlington NWS has a headline up for tonight’s snow, and I noticed that there’s a “Heavy Snow” icon in the point and click down here. The Hazardous Weather Outlook is added below:

FLUS41 KBTV 290915
HWOBTV

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
415 AM EST SUN JAN 29 2012

NYZ026>031-034-035-087-VTZ001>012-016>019-300915-
NORTHERN ST. LAWRENCE-NORTHERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CLINTON-
SOUTHEASTERN ST. LAWRENCE-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-WESTERN CLINTON-
WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-SOUTHWESTERN ST. LAWRENCE-GRAND ISLE-
WESTERN FRANKLIN-ORLEANS-ESSEX-WESTERN CHITTENDEN-LAMOILLE-CALEDONIA-
WASHINGTON-WESTERN ADDISON-ORANGE-WESTERN RUTLAND-WINDSOR-
EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-EASTERN ADDISON-EASTERN RUTLAND-
415 AM EST SUN JAN 29 2012

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTHERN NEW YORK...CENTRAL
VERMONT...NORTHEAST VERMONT...NORTHWEST VERMONT AND SOUTHERN
VERMONT.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

A COLD FRONT MOVING EAST FROM THE GREAT LAKES TODAY AND MOISTURE
OFF OF LAKE ONTARIO WILL COMBINE TO BRING SNOW SHOWERS AND BRIEF LOCALLY
HEAVY SNOW SQUALLS TO PORTIONS OF NORTHERN NEW YORK THIS AFTERNOON
AND TONIGHT...AND TO PORTIONS OF VERMONT TONIGHT. SEVERAL INCHES
OF SNOW ARE POSSIBLE BY TONIGHT.

On the cell so can't add pics but saw btv's snowfall map. Some hefty amounts here. Going 3.8" in st j!

It is dumping here at the mountain... periods of light to heavy snowfall for the past 90 minutes.

I'm about to head out and take some new measurements. This is impressive snowfall all the sudden.

Just sunny, windy and boring for us weenies east of the Greens. Maybe a few light snow threats this week. Trees still glazed here above 1500 feet but got above freezing yesterday (and barely today) to take care of ice in the lower elevations. Nice to see my birch have recovered nicely from the ice.

Powderfreak, did you ever see the HGTV Dreamhome from 2011? Pretty sweet! (it's in Stowe)

Haha yeah its right across the road from our office. That would be an incredible location... I can pretty much throw snow balls at it from my 1,500ft snow board and stakes. You would see a lot of snow living in that.

From new BTV AFD:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BTV&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

THE FCST CHALLENGE TONIGHT WL BE PLACEMENT OF NARROW BAND OF HEAVIER QPF AND ASSOCIATED SNOWFALL. LATEST MESO-SCALE MODELS CONT TO PLACE A VERY NARROW BAND OF ENHANCED QPF FROM THE DACKS INTO CENTRAL VT TONIGHT WITH QPF AMOUNTS RANGING BTWN 0.20 AND 0.50"...WITH BTV4 AND BTV12 SHOWING AMOUNTS APPROACHING 0.75" ACRS THE HIGHER TRRN. GIVEN FAST MOVEMENT AND AVAILABLE MOISTURE FEEL THESE ARE A BIT HIGH...BUT STILL LOOKING AT ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL ACRS PARTS OF THE FA TONIGHT. WL CONT WINTER WX ADVISORY FOR DACKS/SOUTHERN SLV INTO CENTRAL/SOUTHERN VT TONIGHT WITH A GENERAL 2 TO 5 INCHES ANTICIPATED...BUT SOME LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS BTWN 6 AND 8 INCHES POSSIBLE ACRS THE WESTERN DACKS INTO CENTRAL/SOUTHERN VT MTNS BY MONDAY MORNING. GIVEN...MESOSCALE NATURE OF SYSTEM...EXPECT A WIDE RANGE OF SNOWFALL AMOUNTS ACRS OUR CWA FROM VERY LITTLE TO SEVERAL INCHES IN JUST A COUPLE OF MILES.

Looks like some fun tonight--my favorite type of snow event if it plays out as it looks it might. Quick-hitting, several inches, fluffy, easy to clean up & not to mention the freshening effect. 6-8" crusty inches awaits a powdery topping.

Meanwhile, we've had stray flakes on and off most of the day & it's been breezy. Still some ice on the trees from the other day above 1500' or so.

Just got an email from Brooke Taber at WFO BTV and they are definitely focused on a narrow band in Central VT getting lit up tonight. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

"Difficult to forecast exact placement of meso-scale snow band tonight, but somewhere across central VT looks likely. Expecting a 1 to 3 hour window of snowfall rates of 1 to 3 inches per hour with vis near zero. It may line up just south of Stowe, near the Sugarbush/Killington area, but stay tuned and watch the radar tonight."

Powderfreak, did you ever see the HGTV Dreamhome from 2011? Pretty sweet! (it's in Stowe)

Haha yeah its right across the road from our office. That would be an incredible location... I can pretty much throw snow balls at it from my 1,500ft snow board and stakes. You would see a lot of snow living in that.

I saw a story on WCAX last week about that home. The winners put it on the market. The asking price is $3.8 million. It is a sweet place though and I would love to play on the new golf course at the resort.

Next 24 hour QPF on the BTV WRF model...

Look out Allenson! If this is anywhere near correct and ratios are anywhere near as fluffy as I saw today on the mountain, this could be a surprisingly heavy snowfall, lol. Heck with the fluff we saw today, even 0.25" gives you like 7" of snow.

That dark blue stripe clips me as well. Every once in a while we get a lake effect streamer that persists over us for a pretty good duration. I remember one in 2007 that we jackpotted with. 10 inches in a narrow band in the Barre-Montpelier area and only 5 or 6 five miles north or south. That surprise dump allowed us to groom our snowmobile trails during a low snow period, it was followed by a sleety 6 or 8 inches on MLK day and was enough to get us through to the mother of all storms, Valentine's Day. With that and the parade of storms that followed, we were riding into April. I would love to see a similar deal this year.

Def. some serious moisture streaming in. I like longer duration events however. But with temps in the good snow groth range we should see some solid period of dumpage.

Super fluffy 2-4 around the Mansfield massif. Or at least that's what my round the mountain region tour lead me to believe.

I'm going to go pick some pine trees out of my teeth now.

looks like this is a mandatory all-nighter which is annoying because I just got myself back into sleeping at normal times.

Just can't pass up a squall, especially after missing that 50mph gust a few nights ago.

Why does all the interesting weather have to happen at night?

I'll be sleeping like a baby...good luck. Maybe I will catch the end of it when I wake up at 530am.

Impressive few hours today...

We got to the mountain today around noontime, and that round of snow was still coming down with those big flakes; certainly a beautiful sight. It was a bit of a surprise to see all the snow in the air and the cars covered in white, since all we’d seen at the house were a few flurries. We didn’t head out for turns yesterday, but in terms of today’s skiing, I’ve got to say, Stowe really continues to impress this season in terms of conditions. Sometimes the heavy traffic at the mountain can really wear things down, but in this season of low snowfall, big temperature swings, and mixed precipitation, Mansfield just keeps coming through. Every week we seem to get one of these mixed storms to make a mess out of the slopes, and Mansfield pulls another 7, 8 , 9, 10 inches or whatever out of the sky to bring back the powder skiing. I really thought this was going to be the weekend that the conditions wouldn’t make it back in time, with this week’s mixed precipitation storm coming so late in the week, but damn if there wasn’t some fine skiing out there. We had a couple runs off the gondola near the end of the day and we were finding about 7” of new snow on top of the crusty stuff from before. And that was down around 2,000’ or so. We also had some great laps today off Sensation – I think regular traffic was pretty minimal there because of all the racing, so there was lots of fresh snow for the taking. I’d say there wasn’t quite as much snow up there as we found over by the gondola, but it was pretty sweet. I added a couple of shots from today below:

29JAN12A.jpg

29JAN12B.jpg

I saw the projected snowfall map posted earlier in the thread, but I hadn’t stopped by the NWS website and didn’t know that advisories were up until I was watching one of the local TV stations tonight and a crawler alert came across the screen. I added the advisories map below:

29JAN12D.jpg

[quote name='J.Spin' timestamp='1327890357' post='1326737'

I saw the projected snowfall map posted earlier in the thread, but I hadn’t stopped by the NWS website and didn’t know that advisories were up until I was watching one of the local TV stations tonight and a crawler alert came across the screen. I added the advisories map below:

29JAN12D.jpg

Did the crawl you saw mention possible thundersnow? That was a bit of head turner.

Snowing quite nicely here in Stowe village... looks like J.Spin and Winooski Valley is getting lit up right now.

Also Mansfield summit ridgeline is seeing those specles of 30+ dbz and earlier today that was bringing rates of 1-2"+/hr so I'm sure its coming down up there. Going to be interesting to see what I find up there at 5am.

Archived