joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 23 Snow Obs Thread

dendrite

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing nicely and much better than radar would indicate. Roads that were wet are now covered with a new thin coating of snow. Temperatures are plummeting (down to 21F now) and the snow is much drier/colder now. Hopefully this keeps up because we could add a bit. Cars are all covered over again with a tenth or two.

Nice...congrats. What's your seasonal average snowfall up there?

Thanks. Had to beg, borrow, and steal in this pattern to get this. Not complaining.

Seasonal avg here at the airport is 230cms. From Oct to May. We haven't been getting near that the last few years. Was pretty crappy here while you guys were dancing in the streets last year and even worse in 09-10.

Event totals: 3.3” Snow/0.36” L.E.

I was back up at Bolton this afternoon into the evening for another ski session with the boys, and it was definitely getting colder – it was in the low 20s F at the base (2,100’) when we arrived, and I’d say around 20 F when we left about 5:45 P.M. The light snow continued in the afternoon, and then things blew right out to entirely blue sky by 4:00 P.M. I figured that was it for this event, but it was snowing again with some big flakes by the time we were leaving. It was colder in the valley as well once we descended – mid to upper 20s F. As of the 6:00 P.M. snowboard clearing we’d picked up 0.3” of snow, but with this new round of snow there will be more accumulation to report. I added a recent composite radar shot below, the moisture running up against the west slope wall of the Greens is visible:

23DEC11C.gif

For those Vermont ski areas that appeared to do an update on snowfall at the end of the day, I’ve updated the north to south list of latest accumulations reports below. As expected, the accumulations went up a bit with this afternoon’s snow, and areas are topping out now at around a half a foot:

Jay Peak: 6”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 5”

Mad River Glen: 6”

Sugarbush: 4”

Pico: 6”

Killington: 6”

Okemo: 3”

Bromley: 3”

Magic Mountain: 4”

Stratton: 4”

Mount Snow: 3”

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 27.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (5-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

Dumping dendrites. Just about an inch of new snow in the last hour to hour and 15 minutes. I went out to get some food a little while ago and my windshield was clear. Radar does not do this justice but this is classic upslope low level stuff with good snow growth CAA at H85 moving over the mountains.

LOL PF, looks like I grabbed a similar radar shot to you, although I threw it in snow mode. It's not snowing quite that hard here, lighter stuff, but it's certainly accumulating. On another note, patroller Quinn caught me when I was leaving Bolton with the boys this evening and said to check out the Euro for midweek - I did.

I'm getting a good feeling here... this storm isn't done yet. Note the increase in moisture across the northern Adirondacks and far northern VT as another pulse starts to move in. Given what is transpiring outside right now at 16dbz on the composite radar, we should be able to really ramp things up if that enhancement continues moving southeastward.

Haha I'm sorry but this dog just looks completely unhappy with either the lack of snow or that there is even snow, assuming he is a weenie it is because of the lack of snow.

She flips out when it snows..she's only 6 months....but she got spayed on Monday so I have to keep her on the leash for another week. She can't stand it because she is dying to do her normal puppy sprints in the snow. She's a total weenie.

Event totals: 3.7” Snow/0.37” L.E.

Last night’s activity delivered another 0.4” of very fluffy, upslope-style snow from this event, and with high pressure moving in, this is likely the last round of snowfall observations here for this storm. Looking ahead at the forecast discussion from BTV, the high pressure is expected to move off shore during the day on Sunday, with the next snowfall event moving into the area for the Sunday afternoon through midday Monday period.

Some details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 40.0

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 11.5 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

Archived