joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It’s been almost a week since the last round of snow, so it will be nice to have a refresher to get things whitened up.

It’s a little hard to tell with the clouds and dim morning light, but I was looking southward from I-89 and there appeared to be some white up there around the Camel’s Hump massif. The Mt. Mansfield temperature at 3,950’ was well below freezing at 27 F, so we’ll have to see what’s out there if the clouds break a bit.

In his morning broadcast, Roger Hill indicated that beyond the current stretch through tomorrow, the next period to watch out for frozen precipitation will be Tuesday into Wednesday.

36F in the village this morning...

Mansfield trails are white when viewed from my bedroom window so it definitely snowed up there... no question about it. I can tell it didn't snow *that* much though because the trees aren't covered...ie it doesn't have that "caked" look from a distance. From my vantage point I can only see trails from like 2,500ft and higher from my room, and it looks like the snow line is right around there based on the webcams out of the base area:

Given the summit temps, I'm skeptical the guys fired up the snow guns... it'll be close but they may be running at the summit. Wet bulb of 27F is the critical number right now.

Mansfield trails are white when viewed from my bedroom window so it definitely snowed up there... no question about it.

Thanks for the update PF; looks great. The sun just came out here in Burlington and the sky is mostly clear, but clouds still haven’t broken away from the Greens enough yet for me to see the snow from our windows. Perhaps the clouds will clear before the next round of precipitation comes through with the upper level trough. Looking at the Intellicast colored radar, it looks like there’s some LES coming off Lake Ontario, and Lake Erie as well:

11NOV11A.gif

Upslope snow showers and squalls continue... radar shows the moisture getting ripped out over the Spine.

Keep it coming!

We've got an awesome “Big Sky” view here on the hill at UVM of the snow crashing out in front of Mansfield. It looks like a massive thunderstorm in front of the mountain – except that the precipitation has more of our classic “white wall” color. It does look like it’s borderline turning to gray as the snow hits the valley floor, but with that said, we’re even getting spits of snow/graupel here in Burlington.

Snow is starting to accumulate in Stowe village.

I just drove down to the village and was surprised by the dusting on the roof-tops, grass, and cars. Looked nice but given the 36-40F temps it won't stick around more than a half hour, haha. I'm further up the Mountain Road at 950ft right now at Topnotch.

Another round of snow showers just moved through... our second solid dusting of the day down in Stowe village. In another month with cold temps and good snow growth that we are used to for upslope, this would've been a nice day of a couple fluffy inches.

A few tenths of an inch resulted from this round of snow showers if you measure elevated surfaces like cars, picnic tables and such but I'm not picky enough to go out there for 0.2"-0.3" or something. I'm sure an elevated white painted snow board would give you at least a quarter inch or so now that this is done.

This is from a shade under 800ft in the village part-way through the snow shower. I'm sure the mountain is looking nice now.

A sweet day of "mood snow" though.

The ground is covered here. Looks quite pretty. We had a few snow showers during the afternoon. Heavier snow came in as the light grew weak after 4. It started covering things at that point. We are right about 32. We were 65 yesterday at 4 and 33 at 4 today.

I wasn’t around at the house to see if we accumulated any snow from today’s earlier activity, but we picked up 0.04” of liquid, and the snow is certainly accumulating now. The snowfall is fairly light, but this will go down as the first accumulation for the month. Unfortunately, the BTV radar appears to be down for maintenance, so it’s hard to see what else is out there coming down the pike. The point and click has us down for a low of 26 F and continued chance of snow through tomorrow though.

I wasn’t around at the house to see if we accumulated any snow from today’s earlier activity, but we picked up 0.04” of liquid, and the snow is certainly accumulating now.

Similar here...I came home to 0.03" in the tipper and a temp of 32.5F. Looks like just a bit north of me took the heart of a pretty decent 30dBZ squall. I'll probably call it a tenth.

We had an inch on the car about an hour and a half ago. Looks pretty out there.

Nice! I left town for central NY for a funeral this weekend so I can't say if we got anymore snow after 4pm. As I was leaving town though things were getting nice and white as the light faded. I could envision getting up to an inch if the showers kept coming. Nice taste of winter. I'm in central NY now near SYR and it's mixed rain/snow showers at 38F.

We had an inch on the car about an hour and a half ago. Looks pretty out there.

Yep--had a surprise 1.2" here. Quite a little snowglobe for a while last night.

26F this morning with whitened ground and whitened trees. Looks like winter out there.

I'm actually at 6.1" for the season already which isn't bad given the date. Nothing much to show for it though. ;)

We headed up to Bolton today, and I can pass along some information on the snow. We don’t have any snow remaining down in the Winooski Valley, but heading up the access road, snow first appears just above the base of Timberline at around 1,600’ – 1,700’. There was pretty solid cover above 2,000’, and around 2 inches of accumulation at around 2,500’. We didn’t go any higher than that, but it felt like a pretty standard November day, with temperatures in the 30s F and a bit of snow on the ground, and indeed it’s pretty typical to have some snow for the opening day of rifle season. As of the latest report there are two inches at the Mt. Mansfield Stake, and although the average depths at the stake for this date look to be around 4 inches, I’m sure the snow depths are pretty variable at this point. I’ve added a shot of the snow below, and I’ve got a couple more at our website.

12NOV11A.jpg

Archived