Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There’s a bit of snow falling and accumulating here, so presumably the mountains are getting some as well. It’s all small flakes that I’ve seen falling in the past 15 minutes, but I guess some larger flakes fell earlier because there are some huge globs on the snowboard and a couple tenths of an inch of accumulation. I’ve added the latest radar shot below:

24MAR11A.gif

0.4" accumulation last night. Just got back in from shoveling. lol

About the same, without the shoveling. Just enough to break out the broom for the back steps.

After having gotten out and cleaned the cars, it looked like we actually had around an inch of pure fluff out there. Fluffy but not so much so that you could see through it.

0.4" accumulation last night. Just got back in from shoveling. lol

LOL--heavy, heavy shoveling? ;)

Just a trace here overnight..... Cold again though. Down to 12F.

And, to beat my own dead horse (poor thing), got out again for some fun yesterday amidst the in & out snow showers:

5558426990_2d0bb78fa0_z.jpg

Looking north toward Groton State Forest. These funny little peaks (Owl's Head, Big Deer & Little Deer) remind me of the Bubbles at Acadia, for those who've been there:

5557844463_abda959ce9_z.jpg

Here's a shot of some nice Mansfield glades yesterday... covered with the 7-10" of snow we've gotten since Monday.

Nice--looks familiar except there are a few more sets of tracks. ;)

Mt biking allowed up that ridgeline you skied?

Good question, man & I'm not sure, to be honest. Some of these places are for foot traffic only--erosion and whatnot from bike tires. I'll look into that one. :scooter:

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.04” L.E.

Friday 3/25/2011 6:00 A.M. update: The snowfall coming in from the northwest was looking rather scattered last night on the radar, but just before heading off to bed I saw that a wall of precipitation was exploding along the western slopes. I’m always surprised at what the Greens can do with a little moisture, as it almost seemed to come out of nowhere:

24MAR11B.gif

I didn’t see what the radar showed beyond that sequence, but 1.3” of new fluff was on the snowboard this morning comprised of 0.04” L.E.. Checking some of the other early CoCoRaHS reports, I could see that off to the east the snowfall/liquid amounts were notably less (Waterbury 3.3 NE reported 0.2” snow/0.01” L.E.) although more to the north, Hyde Park 2.9 NE came in with 1.4” snow/0.05 L.E. which was a very similar report to here.

In the mountains, I didn’t see any accumulations reported south of Sugarbush, but north of that point there have been 1-2” reports.

Jay Peak: 1”

Stowe: 1”

Bolton Valley: 2”

Sugarbush: 1”

The depth of the snowpack has actually been increasing even down here in the valley over the past week or so due to the snowfall and cool temperatures. The depth is well down from the beginning of the month, but the latest resurgence is visible at the tail end of the plot:

1011waterburysnowpack.jpg

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 1.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 32.5

Snow Density: 3.1% H2O

Temperature: 24.6 F

Sky: Mostly Clear/Light Snow/Flurries (4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 22.5 inches

The depth of the snowpack has actually been increasing even down here in the valley over the past week or so due to the snowfall and cool temperatures. The depth is well down from the beginning of the month, but the latest resurgence is visible at the tail end of the plot:

Yeah it looks like we only got a very light coating last night.. but as you have noticed, I have been very impressed with this past week. The snowpack is also back up here, and at 1,500ft we still had 33" as of yesterday afternoon. Going by the CoCoRAHS station here in town, there was 0.1" of snowfall and snow depth is 20.5". Sounds about right.

The mountain is still in its light snow cloud and it looks like its forming all in the very lowest levels of the atmosphere as I can see blue sky over the mountain, but can't see the mountain itself as it is obscured in snow.

Does anyone take part in any ice out competitions? The biggest one around here in in Danville at Joes Pond. I have never done one but it seems like fun. Last year's winner took home about $5k.

http://www.joespondv...com/iceout.html

What years do people think are good analog years to use for a comparison guess? 96? 01? It seems with the cold outlook for April that it could be a late year. The lastest (since they started in 88) looks to have been 5/6 in 92, 5/5 in 89 and 5/4 in 01 and 94.

Mount Washington recieved 10.5 inches of snow in the last 24 hours with only .5 melted. That is considered very low density for them. I am hiking the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail tomorrow and skiing down, so it should be incredible.

So far this week, they have had 17 inches with more coming today into tomorrow, and there is high avalanche danger, just FYI, in case anyone is going to play in the Whites this weekend, like me.

Mount Washington recieved 10.5 inches of snow in the last 24 hours with only .5 melted. That is considered very low density for them. I am hiking the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail tomorrow and skiing down, so it should be incredible.

So far this week, they have had 17 inches with more coming today into tomorrow, and there is high avalanche danger, just FYI, in case anyone is going to play in the Whites this weekend, like me.

With that light density and the winds BE VERY AWARE OF WINDSLABS. A good skier who knows that mountain very well took an extremely scary ride less than a month ago. Partial burial, 800 foot vertical travel in the avalance over a bunch of krummholz and scrubs. He's lucky he's alive. DO NOT SKI WITHOUT a) reading the mtw avy report, B) a buddy, c) proper avy gear and d) slope tests along with back up plans. Maybe i'm talking to the choir here and you do all those things. But I get concerned when people say "I'm heading on day x to ski objective y" with definitiveness.

Regardless- have fun and be safe.

With that light density and the winds BE VERY AWARE OF WINDSLABS. A good skier who knows that mountain very well took an extremely scary ride less than a month ago. Partial burial, 800 foot vertical travel in the avalance over a bunch of krummholz and scrubs. He's lucky he's alive. DO NOT SKI WITHOUT a) reading the mtw avy report, B) a buddy, c) proper avy gear and d) slope tests along with back up plans. Maybe i'm talking to the choir here and you do all those things. But I get concerned when people say "I'm heading on day x to ski objective y" with definitiveness.

Regardless- have fun and be safe.

Good information, I will be with a group of 2. We are going to avoid as much avalanche area as possible. We planning on at least making Lake of the Clouds.

Heading up tonight for one last Mt Snow weekend - great season all around for Vermont! :thumbsup:

I was just out in Banff for a week, and the avalanche threat was very high for the backcountry and even some inbounds areas. They were blasting in Lake Louise one day. Scary when you think about the reasons, but it's kind of cool when you hear the blasts coming across the mountains! Friends of mine who are much better skiers than me went out a couple of days with avy gear, but thankfully never had to use it.

looks like great skiing this weknd from the dacks to the greens. Just got back from park city, utah and the skiing was great.

Stowe/Mansfield is absolutely unreal right now for this time of year. I only had time to ski for 2 hours this morning but wow, just wow. Here's our snow board data for this morning:

3,000ft... 2" NEW as of 9am...70" DEPTH

1,500ft...1" NEW as of 9am...34" DEPTH

5-Day Snowfall Totals on the snow boards since 9am Monday... 12" at 3,000ft and 9" at 1,500ft. Up near the top lift terminals over 3,600ft there has definitely been more than 12" as it has been orographic/elevation dependent due to low level dry air in the lowest 2-3K feet. There is a lot of very fluffy snow sitting on the top 500-600 verts of our lift accessed skiing, and also up onto the summit ridge at 4,000ft+.

95" at the 3,700ft snow stake, too!

True powder/packed powder conditions; these are the conditions you see out west.

Here are a couple photos from yesterday...

IMG_4487_edited-1.jpg

And a wintry scene...

PF- GP and I are going to be tooling around your neck of the woods. If you see us - or the FIS mobile give us a holler. We'll likely end up at the bar VERY near your apt (at least according to GP).

Winter looks SOOOO locked in for the next two weeks out east. Its crazy. I 100% expect another major nor'easter . Easter Nor'Easter. I'm calling it now.

Winter looks SOOOO locked in for the next two weeks out east. Its crazy. I 100% expect another major nor'easter . Easter Nor'Easter. I'm calling it now.

That would be interesting for April 24 (though Farmington had 14" on 4/24/1928 as the bulk of an event totaling 18.5", and also had 16.5" on 4/21-22/1940.) Of course, I might be in Illinois then (family visit) - the 12z gfs 120 hr clown maps have DEC on the border between 10" and 12", and MBY- zilch, beyond today's dandruff.

That would be interesting for April 24 (though Farmington had 14" on 4/24/1928 as the bulk of an event totaling 18.5", and also had 16.5" on 4/21-22/1940.) Of course, I might be in Illinois then (family visit) - the 12z gfs 120 hr clown maps have DEC on the border between 10" and 12", and MBY- zilch, beyond today's dandruff.

Well this was 4/28 here last year when we got about 11 inches in our biggest storm of the year.

post-1533-0-57292600-1301106883.jpg

post-1533-0-73198900-1301106900.jpg

Blustry day yesterday--topped out at only 32F and dropped all the way back to 7F this morning.....

Does anyone take part in any ice out competitions? The biggest one around here in in Danville at Joes Pond. I have never done one but it seems like fun. Last year's winner took home about $5k.

http://www.joespondv...com/iceout.html

What years do people think are good analog years to use for a comparison guess? 96? 01? It seems with the cold outlook for April that it could be a late year. The lastest (since they started in 88) looks to have been 5/6 in 92, 5/5 in 89 and 5/4 in 01 and 94.

I've never done any of the competitions but I do keep a sharp eye on Lake Morey in Fairlee, VT. That's where I grew up and where my family lives. I have ice-out dates for Morey somewhere going back to the 70s (not sure where though) and the average ice-out date is April 15th. Joes Pond is likely later being further north and higher up in elevation (just looked at the dates--yep, later than Morey ;) ). I would guess all the lakes will be going out later than normal this year.

OK, my call:

Lake Morey: 4/22

Joes Pond: 5/1

:whistle:

Another dusting overnight down in town... some mood flakes falling, its January snow globe stuff. Probably picked up a quarter inch or so overnight in the village and Mansfield is cloaked in its daily snow cloud.

Guests staying at Topnotch have noticed it this morning... it tends to snow at night, then the sun comes out during the day. Then right on cue, around midnight it starts snowing again and does so till mid-morning. As someone said, "Its like the flour sifter only gets turned on at night."

I wonder if it has to do with the lowering inversion levels at night but the dusting-1" snowfalls always seem to happen overnight.

PF- GP and I are going to be tooling around your neck of the woods. If you see us - or the FIS mobile give us a holler. We'll likely end up at the bar VERY near your apt (at least according to GP).

Was that last night? Bummer, just saw this post now. I hear you may be moving up here?

Also is the FIS mobil Greg's blue SUV or I know I've also seen a black SUV with FIS on it?

Event totals: 1.8” Snow/0.04” L.E.

Saturday 3/26/2011 7:00 A.M. update: After my morning report from yesterday, we picked up another tenth of an inch of snow and then there wasn’t anything significant through the rest of the day. Sunshine tended to predominate more than clouds yesterday, although we could see some tendrils of snowfall occasionally scattered throughout the mountains.

I was up at Bolton with the boys yesterday afternoon, and my checks around the 2,500’ elevation mark generally revealed settled snow depths of 9 inches above the subsurface from the rounds of powder we’ve seen this week. Bolton’s picked up another couple of inches overnight, and they are reporting 13 inches as their accumulation since Monday with 315 inches on the season. I’ve added the north to south list of 24-hour accumulations reported for some of the Vermont resorts below:

Jay Peak: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 3” (36 hrs)

Stowe: 1”

Bolton Valley: 2”

Mad River Glen: 0”

Sugarbush: 2”

Killington: 0”

I don’t think Smugg’s reported any accumulation yesterday, but it looks like they incorporated everything into today’s report with the 36-hour indication. Mad River Glen hasn’t reported any of this snow yet, which is somewhat surprising with the reported Sugarbush accumulations.

There was another 0.4 inches of fluff on the snowboard when I checked today at 7:00 A.M., but since that time there’s been some of the most intense snowfall I’ve seen with this event, with some flakes up to an inch and a half in diameter. You can really see the precipitation banked up against the Northern Greens in the radar image, and some of the brighter echoes near the I-89 corridor are visible toward the end:

26MAR11A.gif

The skiing continues to be great as Powderfreak says – I added a couple of shots from yesterday at Bolton below:

25MAR11A.jpg

25MAR11B.jpg

Some details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 20.8 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-6 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 22.0 inches

Another dusting overnight down in town... some mood flakes falling, its January snow globe stuff. Probably picked up a quarter inch or so overnight in the village and Mansfield is cloaked in its daily snow cloud.

Guests staying at Topnotch have noticed it this morning... it tends to snow at night, then the sun comes out during the day. Then right on cue, around midnight it starts snowing again and does so till mid-morning. As someone said, "Its like the flour sifter only gets turned on at night."

I wonder if it has to do with the lowering inversion levels at night but the dusting-1" snowfalls always seem to happen overnight.

I have a good friend staying up there for a week. He and friends are renting a huge house. He is a firefighter for my company, any tips? Can I send him to you?

Archived