• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

Had you already seen it? Because that's just what it did. Bad time to be bullseyed.

Allenson: Beautiful pics, from the firetower. The Presidentials one would gladden the heart of NH chamber of commerce types. I'm sure the boots added much to the tower climb effort, but at least you had steps rather than the inside-corner iron rungs that challenge climbers of some towers in northern Maine.

Yes i did see it, That why i posted to dbbl it, We have been bullseyed a few times over the last few days off and on, We really won't know until probably wednesday at 12z realistically to what we may see here then again maybe thurs......

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes i did see it, That why i posted to dbbl it, We have been bullseyed a few times over the last few days off and on, We really won't know until probably wednesday at 12z realistically to what we may see here then again maybe thurs......

12z GFS is a great run... need that baby to track as close to BOS as possible... I'm hopeful.

All of this tells me that we won't know until at least Wednesday.... :lol:

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

CANADIAN HIGH PRESSURE SHIFTS EAST OVER NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND ON

WEDNESDAY AND INTO THE CANADIAN MARITIMES ON THURSDAY. EXPECT

QUIET WEATHER...WITH GRADUALLY WARMING TEMPERATURES.

MODEL GUIDANCE FROM VARIOUS SOURCES ARE ALL IN DISAGREEMENT BEYOND

MIDWEEK...LENDING VERY LITTLE ASSISTANCE WITH THE LONG TERM

FORECAST. ONLY CONSENSUS IS THAT AN UPPER TROUGH WILL DEVELOP OVER

THE GREAT LAKES AND MOVE OVER THE EAST COAST BY THIS WEEKEND. BUT

THE INDIVIDUAL WAVES WITHIN THIS UPPER TROUGH WHICH WILL DRIVE

SURFACE WEATHER FEATURES ARE NOT WELL AGREED UPON. THE AMOUNT OF

DISPARITY BETWEEN EACH MODEL AS WELL AS THE GFS ENSEMBLE MEMBERS IS

ASTONISHING. BUT GIVEN THE GENERAL CONSENSUS ON THE UPPER

PATTERN...IT MAKES GOOD SENSE THAT THERE WILL BE A CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION LATE THIS WEEK AND INTO THE WEEKEND AS THE UPPER

TROUGH MOVES INTO THE REGION. PRECIPITATION TYPE WILL BE HIGHLY

DEPENDENT ON THE PLACEMENT OF SURFACE FEATURES AND THE

AVAILABILITY OF COLD AIR...BUT THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR SEVERAL

INCHES OF SNOW...OR A FEW INCHES OF RAIN DEPENDING ON THESE

FACTORS. DUE TO THE HIGH AMOUNT OF UNCERTAINTY...THIS FORECAST WAS

VERY LOOSELY BASED ON THE OPERATIONAL GFS MODEL...BUT HAVE

RESTRICTED PRECIPITATION CHANCES TO LESS THAN 50 PERCENT. WILL

LIKELY HAVE THREE DISTINCT SURFACE LOWS TRACK ACROSS THE EAST

COAST LATE THIS WEEK...WITH THE STRONGEST AND CLOSEST OF THESE

BEING FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY. THIS ONE WILL BE THE MAIN

PRECIPITATION MAKER FOR US IF IT DOES TRACK NEAR THE GULF OF MAINE.

LOOKING AT THE INDIVIDUAL ENSEMBLE MEMBERS WITHIN THE GFS MODEL

ALONE...THE SURFACE LOW FOR THE FRIDAY/SATURDAY SYSTEM COULD TRACK

OVER A LARGE AREA OF REAL ESTATE. ANYWHERE FROM UP THE HUDSON RIVER

VALLEY...BRINGING MAINLY RAIN TO OUR AREA...TO 800 MILES OUT TO

SEA...BRINGING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. THEN SEVERAL ENSEMBLE MEMBERS

SUGGEST A SURFACE LOW TRACKING THROUGH THE GULF OF MAINE...AS LOW AS

553 MB AS IT MOVES NEAR PORTLAND. WHILE THIS IS UNLIKELY...IT GIVES

A FEEL FOR HOW MUCH VARIATION COULD EXIST WITHIN THE FORECAST AND

HOW LITTLE CONFIDENCE THERE WILL BE IN ANY ONE SOLUTION. WITH A

TRACK THROUGH THE GULF OF MAINE THERE COULD BE SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL

ACROSS OUR ENTIRE FORECAST AREA. WITH A TRACK FURTHER WEST...ANY

PRECIPITATION WILL BE ALMOST ALL RAIN. BUT THERE IS ALSO STILL THE

POSSIBILITY THAT IT PASSES WELL OUT TO SEA WITH NO IMPACT AT ALL.

THE TIMING DIFFERENCES ARE ALSO HUGE...VARYING FROM A FRIDAY

ARRIVAL...TO EARLY SUNDAY MORNING.

WITH ALL THE UNCERTAINTY...IT IS BEST AT THIS POINT TO ONLY SAY

THAT THERE IS A CHANCE FOR A SIGNIFICANT WEATHER MAKER THIS

WEEKEND. SNOW OR RAIN IS POSSIBLE ACROSS THE ENTIRE AREA...WITH

MORE DETAILS EMERGING LATER. RIDGING TAKES PLACE BEHIND THE SYSTEM

LATE THIS WEEKEND AND EARLY NEXT WEEK...LEADING TO WARMING

TEMPERATURES BACK TO NEAR SEASONAL NORMALS.

Wow, Nice view, Was the tower moving around in the wind?

Heh, a little bit yeah. Creakin' & groanin' too.

Wish I had known you were there. Coulda showed you those great trees. If the sun didn't feel so strong out of the wind I could've sworn it was Jan all over again.

Certainly not much sap running these days.

Well, my wife and I have two passes to Burke and they close this coming Sunday so we're gonna use them either Saturday or Sunday....

I've found some good tree skiing there. Found some to the skiers right of East Bowl and out off of Wilderness/Powderhorn. It was surprisingly good in the glades--a little firm at times but still some fluff to be found too.

Allenson: Beautiful pics, from the firetower. The Presidentials one would gladden the heart of NH chamber of commerce types. I'm sure the boots added much to the tower climb effort, but at least you had steps rather than the inside-corner iron rungs that challenge climbers of some towers in northern Maine.

Thanks man. Yeah, steps are nice. ;)

Beautiful pics, Allenson! I rate the one of the Presidentials 5 stars.

Great photos. The Lake Willoughby gap resembles a baby Yosemite Valley. Way to be ballsy!

Thanks guys. Ballsy or stupid--tis a fine line sometimes. ;)

Those are some great photos!! I really like the tower shots!!

If anyone has any suggestions on Cannon Mt in NH please pass them along. My kids qualified for the Dew at Mt Snow but decided to do BodeFest instead. Never been to Cannon but we are staying with a good friend who has a place in the area, but they do not arrive until late Friday and we are heading up Thursday.

My 6 year old son LOVES the trees at Burke pics!! He is a terrain junky.....where his sisters are racers.

Cool. I like Cannon. It's a tough old New England place to ski. Windy, cold, boiler plate, all the things that makes us here what we are. Oh, got a pic of Cannon and the Franconia Range from the tower too. I don't really like how this picture came out but it's a vantage of these mountains that I don't normally see. Cannon is obviously the one with the ski trails on it. ;)

5569011792_25a0f86507_z.jpg

Thanks guys. Ballsy or stupid--tis a fine line sometimes. ;)

Cool. I like Cannon. It's a tough old New England place to ski. Windy, cold, boiler plate, all the things that makes us here what we are. Oh, got a pic of Cannon and the Franconia Range from the tower too. I don't really like how this picture came out but it's a vantage of these mountains that I don't normally see. Cannon is obviously the one with the ski trails on it. ;)

Another winner! Looks like that lower left hillside got cut pretty hard, too.

As for that "fine line", while we were on our church's mens' wilderness retreat at Allagash Lake, a photo-fanatic friend climbed the tower atop Allagash Mt (an inside-corner type), wanting panorama shots. When he found the hatch to the cab locked, he spidered his way around the tower on the framework to get his pics - no clips, no net! (No brains?)

Agree, this is a terribke pic.

Crispy 14.7F. Winter is on the wane, but possibly another shot of heavy heavies and, no, I don't want powderfreak to get the jackpot. :P

Another winner! Looks like that lower left hillside got cut pretty hard, too.

As for that "fine line", while we were on our church's mens' wilderness retreat at Allagash Lake, a photo-fanatic friend climbed the tower atop Allagash Mt (an inside-corner type), wanting panorama shots. When he found the hatch to the cab locked, he spidered his way around the tower on the framework to get his pics - no clips, no net! (No brains?)

That's dedidcation for ya. I went up into the cabin myself as the hatch wasn't locked but the windows were not very clear and not good at all for picture taking. So, my shots are from the platform below the cabin. I like taking photos but I'm not sure I would have gone through what your buddy did!

And yeah, there were quite a few areas visible from up there that I could tell had been logged over pretty thoroughly.

Agree, this is a terribke pic.

Crispy 14.7F. Winter is on the wane, but possibly another shot of heavy heavies and, no, I don't want powderfreak to get the jackpot. :P

LOL x2.

Cold at the house this morning as well. Got down to 10F and yet the mourning doves were still out there coo-cooing away, giving it a spring morning feel.

So, what's up? It's gonna snow again? :snowing:

Wonder if it's time for a new thread.....?

Dumping massive fluffy dendrites. Visibility here at 1,500ft is under 1/2 mile in SN, occasional periods of +SN.

Half inch down so far... upslope machine has been turned to the "on" position.

Fun! As I was driving into to work this morning, I could see the clouds off to the NW and heading this way. Wonder if we'll see any....? Prob'ly not here in Hanover but maybe at home....

I see the flakes on the webcams from Stowe, Underhill, Hinesburg, Bolton, etc.....

Fun! As I was driving into to work this morning, I could see the clouds off to the NW and heading this way. Wonder if we'll see any....? Prob'ly not here in Hanover but maybe at home....

I see the flakes on the webcams from Stowe, Underhill, Hinesburg, Bolton, etc.....

Definitely fun... hopefully some of this makes it to your casa.

This stuff is so fluffy that even with a half inch or even a bit more (in non-wind swept areas) you can still easily see the surface the snow is accumulating on. My car is getting covered now but I can still see the dark color of my car under the snow.

This looks like one of those situations where we get 1" of fluff and the liquid is like a trace.

It looks like this morning's upslope is stretching back pretty far into the Champlain Valley... Williston looks like they've got a fresh coating on everything. I'm so glad I'm not in the Champlain Valley anymore where the snow has melted weeks ago, while there's still 18-20" on the ground here in the interior.

Thanks for the pic!! I just showed it to my skiers and they are so pumped to get one more weekend in, at the very least. They are trying to not get too crazy about the snow potential yet......waiting until Wed night before they get uber nuts!

Currently 10F at 3,600ft and 21F at 1,500ft.

Dumping massive fluffy dendrites. Visibility here at 1,500ft is under 1/2 mile in SN, occasional periods of +SN.

Half inch down so far... upslope machine has been turned to the "on" position.

Sweet! Well for the skiers.......my family would be stoked. Me.....I would be a Mr Pickwick's.....parked at the bar......sampling my way through the shelf above my head........and enjoying a bowl of Mulligatawny.

Definitely fun... hopefully some of this makes it to your casa.

This stuff is so fluffy that even with a half inch or even a bit more (in non-wind swept areas) you can still easily see the surface the snow is accumulating on. My car is getting covered now but I can still see the dark color of my car under the snow.

This looks like one of those situations where we get 1" of fluff and the liquid is like a trace.

I like the bar here too. Fine Cognacs! My favorite is to hang outside the ball room by the outdoor fireplace and light up a stogie and sip away on a cognac.

SML is my idea of a mountain resort!! (considering I do not ski ;) )

Thanks for the pic!! I just showed it to my skiers and they are so pumped to get one more weekend in, at the very least. They are trying to not get too crazy about the snow potential yet......waiting until Wed night before they get uber nuts!

No problem. Hope you folks have fun and let's hope for one more round of fresh snow! :ski:

That's a great shot dude... why didn't you like it? Also, what lens do you use?

I really need to get out more as I've always wanted to ski Cannon. I've been there for a ski industry meeting but have never actually skied it. It definitely has that feeling of a classic, tough, cold New England ski hill.

A great example of my lack of ski resort diversity is the fact that I've skied around 115 days so far this season...and 110 of those days were at Stowe/Mansfield. The other 5 days were out at Alta, Utah. With post-season skinning and skiing, I'm hoping to get near 150 days on snow this season, which would mean that 41% of the calendar year is spent on snow for me.... just the way I like it.

Man PF, you might be better off counting the days you don't ski :)

Allenson - we'll be at Burke on Sat skiing big kid stuff, and Sun skiing little kid stuff (my 2 y/o loves the chairlift) , let me know if you are intersted in an adventure.

Skied behind the house yesterday, still 2+ feet in the woods, could actually skate ski through the woods, March what? If this storm materializes for the end of the week they might have to open up suicide hotlines, people are starting to lose it a little

Best winter since 2000-2001 IMO

I really need to get out more as I've always wanted to ski Cannon. I've been there for a ski industry meeting but have never actually skied it. It definitely has that feeling of a classic, tough, cold New England ski hill.

A great example of my lack of ski resort diversity is the fact that I've skied around 115 days so far this season...and 110 of those days were at Stowe/Mansfield. The other 5 days were out at Alta, Utah. With post-season skinning and skiing, I'm hoping to get near 150 days on snow this season, which would mean that 41% of the calendar year is spent on snow for me.... just the way I like it.

WOW you have to be working there right?

My crew gets in about 40-50 and I think that is a lot.

I dunno--the tones & crispness aren't really what I was looking for. With the wind and cold, I was kind of hustling my pics while on the tower...plus it was so bright out that I couldn't see my settings while looking though the view finder and also couldn't see the pics very well that I'd already taken...so I wasn't making any adjustments.

The lense I used for those is a Nikkor 55-200mm telephoto.

And yeah, ski Cannon if you get a chance. It can be very cold, windy & firm but it can also be pretty sweet. Last time I was there was April of '08 for a corn harvest....

Allenson - we'll be at Burke on Sat skiing big kid stuff, and Sun skiing little kid stuff (my 2 y/o loves the chairlift) , let me know if you are intersted in an adventure.

Skied behind the house yesterday, still 2+ feet in the woods, could actually skate ski through the woods, March what? If this storm materializes for the end of the week they might have to open up suicide hotlines, people are starting to lose it a little

Sounds good, man. I'll check in with the wife and the weather and see what we get. I'll let ya know if we decide to head up. And yeah! I was able to skate on my tele/touring set-up in the woods the other day too. Gotta love it.

24" still otg at the homestead this morn....

WOW you have to be working there right?

My crew gets in about 40-50 and I think that is a lot.

Haha yes. I get paid to follow the weather and check out the snow conditions. My job description involves skiing "a variety of runs to check grooming consistency as well as natural snow conditions."

I'm just about to head out for an hour or two to do my rounds and make sure everything is up to standards.

Haha yes. I get paid to follow the weather and check out the snow conditions. My job description involves skiing "a variety of runs to check grooming consistency as well as natural snow conditions."

I'm just about to head out for an hour or two to do my rounds and make sure everything is up to standards.

Geez, Thats a tuff winter job you have there...... :snowman:

One of those mornings when I'm warmer than many places S & W, as the wind never quit and the low was upper teens. The 16" snowpack has remained unaltered for 6 days now. Assuming we don't torch, today will make 7 consecutive with below normal temps, not all that long but 1st time this winter it's been cold for a week. We had a 7-day warmup 12/29-1/4 but none longer; the whole winter has been unable to make up its mind about temps, other than being mostly without any real extremes (IMBY, anyway) since the mid-Dec torch/deluge.

Geez, Thats a tuff winter job you have there...... :snowman:

I'm not getting rich, but I'm able to pay my bills and live comfortably, haha. And I get to hang out in one of the snowiest spots in New England on a daily basis so I guess its worth it lol.

Also, it is still snowing... checked the snow boards and haven't hit an inch yet at 3,000ft so although its been looking promising at times, this stuff is taking its sweet time adding up.

I'm not getting rich, but I'm able to pay my bills and live comfortably, haha. And I get to hang out in one of the snowiest spots in New England on a daily basis so I guess its worth it lol.

Also, it is still snowing... checked the snow boards and haven't hit an inch yet at 3,000ft so although its been looking promising at times, this stuff is taking its sweet time adding up.

I think winter hangs on a while longer for you guys up there, At this point down this way i could take it or leave it would not matter that much to me either way other then it delays golf season.....

Archived