joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just realized something.....this is my first chance to experience a new england snow storm of greater then 2-4 inches. My skiers are very excited to see the morning status of their last chance for winter this season. I floated the idea of pulling the kids early tomorrow from school so we can begin our trek of 7-8 hours to Cannon Mt. by 12-1pm. The motion was passed by a vote of 3-2......the 2 who voted no wanted to leave today.

I am excited my kids decided to forgo their qualifying for the Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge finals this year, Mt Snow is cool but Cannon will be something different and they get to ski with Bode. I would have preferred if Lindsey Vonn was hosting an event ;)

Anyway, fun following the NE thread! Funny since the regions were setup I miss seeing many of the awesome posters contributing to this section!!!

Anyone at Cannon this weekend who wants to share a beverage at the bar, give me a shout! I look forward to providing my first NE obs starting Thursday Night!

I just realized something.....this is my first chance to experience a new england snow storm of greater then 2-4 inches. My skiers are very excited to see the morning status of their last chance for winter this season. I floated the idea of pulling the kids early tomorrow from school so we can begin our trek of 7-8 hours to Cannon Mt. by 12-1pm. The motion was passed by a vote of 3-2......the 2 who voted no wanted to leave today.

I am excited my kids decided to forgo their qualifying for the Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge finals this year, Mt Snow is cool but Cannon will be something different and they get to ski with Bode. I would have preferred if Lindsey Vonn was hosting an event ;)

Anyway, fun following the NE thread! Funny since the regions were setup I miss seeing many of the awesome posters contributing to this section!!!

Anyone at Cannon this weekend who wants to share a beverage at the bar, give me a shout! I look forward to providing my first NE obs starting Thursday Night!

Congrats on being in NE and enjoy the storm..

Warmest morning in some time here at 20F. Trees'll run today for sure.

. On the flight to KLEB, I saw that there was better coverage outside of H-Town...

Ah, cool. Never flown in or out of LEB. That would be fun though to get a nice bird's eye view of at least the southern part of the Upper Valley. Cirlcle around to the north at all?

Bring on the Friday fun! :snowman:

They will be interesting, that is for sure. Productivity today will be low in downtown PWM. lol

Well, I am quite sure the Nam is coming west, But thats not going to be a good indicator of what the rest of the 12z guidance will do seeing its the furthest east of all the solutions that matter

I see that Powderfreak added in the BTV Storm Total Snow Forecast map for the upcoming event, so I’ve added in the latest BTV advisories map below. It will be interesting to see what areas go to advisories and warnings as we move ahead.

30MAR11A.jpg

As we approach the end of the March, we are also getting very close to 40 inches of snowfall for the month at our location; currently the number stands at 39.6 inches. This March is actually in second place for snowfall out of the five seasons that I have been collecting data here, and is very close to catching up with March 2007, which came in with 40.2 inches. There are some chances for snow over the next couple of days that could add a bit to that total, although whatever happens with March, if this next storm hits this area decently it would be a good start to the April numbers.

All,

What do you think the best location(s) are in VT for the best combination of greatest seasonal snowfall and longest duration snowcover? This could include towns in particular, or higher elevations just outside of towns. Basically, what's the most wintry area in VT?

From many of the posts I have read, it appears that areas in or near Waterbury, Corinth, and Stowe are the best...but it's highly dependent on elevation.

I'm considering retiring in VT soon...but I don't know the climatology well enough to judge on my own. i thought I would defer to your expertise, if you'd be kind enough to share.

Thanks very much in advance...and good luck with the upcoming storm! It has been a great winter in NNE...let's keep it going as long as possible. :snowman:

All,

What do you think the best location(s) are in VT for the best combination of greatest seasonal snowfall and longest duration snowcover? This could include towns in particular, or higher elevations just outside of towns. Basically, what's the most wintry area in VT?

From many of the posts I have read, it appears that areas in or near Waterbury, Corinth, and Stowe are the best...but it's highly dependent on elevation.

I'm considering retiring in VT soon...but I don't know the climatology well enough to judge on my own. i thought I would defer to your expertise, if you'd be kind enough to share.

Thanks very much in advance...and good luck with the upcoming storm! It has been a great winter in NNE...let's keep it going as long as possible. :snowman:

The area near Stowe is great as you say; also, the towns on the West side of Mt. Mansfield like Jericho and Underhill also do very well in upslope events, and latitude helps them preserve their snowpack. A really cute town in the Green Mountains is Ripton, along Route 125 just east of Middlebury...you might want to check it out as it's a great place to live with beautiful houses, and right near Robert Frost's historic cabin. If you want big Nor'easters, then I'd check out the Southern Greens near Bennington, which get clocked in coastals. Lots of wonderful spots to retire in VT, you can't go wrong honestly...

All,

I can only comment for the NEK, only place in VT I have lived, areas like Holland, Morgan, Norton, there's a snow belt in Westmore and Newark that are off everyone's radar, especially if you plan on being there all winter. Rountinely have knee deep snow during rifle season (late Nov), and snowpack that requires snowshoes until May.

be prepared to have reliable snow removal equipment - you'll need it - its a long winter

IMO look for terrain, for instance our house sits on a hill with SW exposure over quite possibly the largest valley in VT, between the winds and sun half my yard in already to grass while the NE side of the hill the yards still have 2+'

Good luck - its a remarkably beautiful place to live

The area near Stowe is great as you say; also, the towns on the West side of Mt. Mansfield like Jericho and Underhill also do very well in upslope events, and latitude helps them preserve their snowpack. A really cute town in the Green Mountains is Ripton, along Route 125 just east of Middlebury...you might want to check it out as it's a great place to live with beautiful houses, and right near Robert Frost's historic cabin. If you want big Nor'easters, then I'd check out the Southern Greens near Bennington, which get clocked in coastals. Lots of wonderful spots to retire in VT, you can't go wrong honestly...

Very nice...thanks for the info!

I can only comment for the NEK, only place in VT I have lived, areas like Holland, Morgan, Norton, there's a snow belt in Westmore and Newark that are off everyone's radar, especially if you plan on being there all winter. Rountinely have knee deep snow during rifle season (late Nov), and snowpack that requires snowshoes until May.

be prepared to have reliable snow removal equipment - you'll need it - its a long winter

IMO look for terrain, for instance our house sits on a hill with SW exposure over quite possibly the largest valley in VT, between the winds and sun half my yard in already to grass while the NE side of the hill the yards still have 2+'

Good luck - its a remarkably beautiful place to live

Thanks borderwx.

Warmest morning in some time here at 20F. Trees'll run today for sure.

Ah, cool. Never flown in or out of LEB. That would be fun though to get a nice bird's eye view of at least the southern part of the Upper Valley. Cirlcle around to the north at all?

Bring on the Friday fun! :snowman:

Depends on the approach... I believe it was a straight s to n shoot this time, but we do circle sometimes.

And yes bring on the fun! I got a lot of angry emails this morning.

This will be taken as blasphemy by many, but I'd like to see a blank map along the western edge of Addison County come tomorrow. I've had it with plowable snow storms, and would very much like to begin work in my greenhouses, as I'm about two weeks behind schedule. The snow pack, high waters in riverside marshes and swamps, and new ice in those same areas has also made willow harvesting just miserable this year.

I see that Powderfreak added in the BTV Storm Total Snow Forecast map for the upcoming event, so I’ve added in the latest BTV advisories map below. It will be interesting to see what areas go to advisories and warnings as we move ahead.

30MAR11A.jpg

As we approach the end of the March, we are also getting very close to 40 inches of snowfall for the month at our location; currently the number stands at 39.6 inches. This March is actually in second place for snowfall out of the five seasons that I have been collecting data here, and is very close to catching up with March 2007, which came in with 40.2 inches. There are some chances for snow over the next couple of days that could add a bit to that total, although whatever happens with March, if this next storm hits this area decently it would be a good start to the April numbers.

I’d certainly advise looking to the northern part of the state for the most wintry environment, which basically cuts your considerations in half. There are awesome towns all over the state, but if maximizing snowfall and snowpack are going to be your criteria then the southern half of the state is really not in the game. I’ve never lived in the southern part of Vermont, but in my experience following the weather here for many years, the only snow-related thing that I’ve seen that the southern part of the state would potentially even have over the northern half would be the slightly better shot at getting bigger totals from Nor’easters like nzucker said. That’s really just a couple of times a season deal, and for an example of how insignificant it really is in overall snowfall, just look at the annual snowfall numbers for the ski areas on the spine of the Green Mountains from north to south. The snowfall goes from ~350 inches at Jay Peak in the north, and follows a pretty stead gradient down to ~150 inches at Mount Snow in the south. That’s a big difference in snowfall.

The tough part could be getting both the highest snowfall, and the best snowpack retention, since the highest snowfall is probably on the west slopes of the Greens, and the best retention is to the east. But, Stowe is a nice compromise that can somewhat provide the best of both, especially at elevation. Another place I would recommend would be Eden, which is a few towns north of Stowe. Whenever I’ve been to Eden, they always seem to have amazing snowpack, although I guess they’ve got some elevation there that helps. Powderfreak and the other folks around here will have some great thoughts on this topic I’m sure. In some respects one could almost say go as far north, as close to the spine, and as high in elevation as you can. One would sort of end up at the top of Jay Peak if they took all those parameters to the extreme, and that is a very snowy place. The upper elevations of Mt. Mansfield probably beat out the upper elevations of Jay Peak for snow preservation, but any spot along the spine in that stretch is going to be quite good for overall snowiness.

Thanks J. Spin...great perspective.

Jay Peak or bust. :)

They are also doing a lot of construction in the Jay Peak area with considerable expansion of amenities. Another huge thing to consider is what other interests and requirements you have. Would being close to Burlington/ Montreal be a draw for frequent excursions or if you go to the NEK expect at least an hour's drive to the "big" cities. NEK is an easy shot down to Boston however. Parts of the NEK do get shadowed by the Whites in big storms but do still get small upslope events coming over the Greens. Where I live in Peacham we seem to have been on the edge of all the big snow this year but even with that we still have a great snow pack. Peacham is a wonderful little town for quality of life has a large retiree/ seasonal population but you have to drive to even get milk. (The nearest stop light is 15 miles away.) If you are looking snow pack, Walden/ Coles Pond area does very well and look at Jericho by Burlington. If you like cold too, Island Pond and West Burke are consistent cold spots in the NEK. In southern Vermont Woodford has huge totals in many Nor'Easters due to its elevation but I have no idea how it does with snowpack retention.

Archived