Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Jan 25/26 Storm Threat...(Part 3)

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This model run is trying it dang-est to produce a big time snow for the Mountains and maybe Foothills (West of HWY 321)...

at hour 84 even with the surface low placement not the best, you got the best lift coming into Western North Carolina, a 500mb and 850mb track just under the mountains and the freezing line trying to wedge along the escarpment.

All of the dynamics in play will be occuring during the overnight hours Tuesday into Wednesday.

If we're gonna get somebody a snowstorm out of this, it will have to be with the dynamics at the perfect time of the day.

Well, KMRN isnt a snow sounding, thats for sure.

It's actually real close for me this run ?

2m 850 qpf

WED 06Z 26-JAN 1.1 1.3 1016 84 98 0.03 559 546

WED 12Z 26-JAN 0.2 0.7 1009 97 98 0.29 555 547

WED 18Z 26-JAN 0.8 -1.6 1003 99 97 0.63 546 543

THU 00Z 27-JAN 0.5 1.0 1008 95 79 0.22 551 545

THU 06Z 27-JAN -3.9 -1.2 1012 94 25 0.00 548 539

I don't know how to check soundings, But I think it's close for me ?

Perfect track but too warm? Perhaps. Hard to judge at this point- the GFS has everything but cold enough air, I remember the 1983 storm was supposed to be too warm. A very close call. As I thought earlier, with an unfavorable NAO pattern, dynamics will have to suffice, and right now that is iffy but still possible,

I have to admit I have seen crazy models before but I think the last 24 to 36 hours has been unbelievable. For a storm to have shown so well for so long on any number of models to just crash as it has is really unreal. Well I think I will call it a night and maybe something will change tomorrow. As it currently looks though I believe all it will show is rain and really we do need that so good night all til tomorrow. I will be watching in the wings. :sleepy:

PS. I am not diving off the cliff still have a tiny bit of hope.

Perfect track but too warm? Perhaps. Hard to judge at this point- the GFS has everything but cold enough air, I remember the 1983 storm was supposed to be too warm. A very close call. As I thought earlier, with an unfavorable NAO pattern, dynamics will have to suffice, and right now that is iffy but still possible,

Yeah, I was really surprised to see such warm temps even in NW Ga. as the closed upper low goes right over Atl.

Get that Monkey back, we need him!

Being that we are on of the farthest points North and West we might just pull it off.

This thing really starts to bomb around GA. So we might see crashing heights just as the storm gets going for our area. Close no matter what.

I could see a cold 33 degree rain, or a 30 degree snow storm.

It's actually real close for me this run ?

2m 850 qpf

WED 06Z 26-JAN 1.1 1.3 1016 84 98 0.03 559 546

WED 12Z 26-JAN 0.2 0.7 1009 97 98 0.29 555 547

WED 18Z 26-JAN 0.8 -1.6 1003 99 97 0.63 546 543

THU 00Z 27-JAN 0.5 1.0 1008 95 79 0.22 551 545

THU 06Z 27-JAN -3.9 -1.2 1012 94 25 0.00 548 539

I have to admit I have seen crazy models before but I think the last 24 to 36 hours has been unbelievable. For a storm to have shown so well for so long on any number of models to just crash as it has is really unreal. Well I think I will call it a night and maybe something will change tomorrow. As it currently looks though I believe all it will show is rain and really we do need that so good night all til tomorrow. I will be watching in the wings. :sleepy:

PS. I am not diving off the cliff still have a tiny bit of hope.

This actually happens every huge storm...but there is bigger chance for cold rain then other big storms.

Boone is even fighting off changing over at 84 hours.

Man...this is really heart-breaking looking at the soundings and how close it really is. I wonder if a slight eastward shift in the 500/850 mb track would help?

BTW, just to show how unreliable the model generated snowfall acc. maps can be, it has Marion-Morganton-Lenoir getting about 6 inches while the high country gets a foot-plus. Goes to show how you need to look at all angles when it comes to making winter weather predictions.

Not really close at RDU this run. Surface temps in the upper 30s and 850 temps of 4-5c throughout the event. A nice chilly, rain for us. As bnmdjm alluded to earlier, dendritic growth zone begins to dry out at 18z Wed. before our profile is able to support snow.

Get that Monkey back, we need him!

Being that we are on of the farthest points North and West we might just pull it off.

This thing really starts to bomb around GA. So we might see crashing heights just as the storm gets going for our area. Close no matter what.

I could see a cold 33 degree rain, or a 30 degree snow storm.

He's back, Now let's see what he can do ! Can you check soundings for our area ? mwk

UKMET well west. About to cut through AL. Good grief. :gun_bandana: :gun_bandana: :gun_bandana:

http://vortex.plymou...10123043718.gif

Lakes Cutter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said this before, but should we start thinking about severe weather with this? Probably not with surface temps in the 30s, but who knows where this thing is ultimately going to track? Somebody is going to be warm-sectored before it's all over with.

Not really close at RDU this run. Surface temps in the upper 30s and 850 temps of 4-5c throughout the event. A nice chilly, rain for us. As bnmdjm alluded to earlier, dendritic growth zone begins to dry out at 18z Wed. before our profile is able to support snow.

Hey TPS,

In your opinion, how does this thing look for Birmngham, AL?

Archived