SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Late January thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12zgfsp72132.gif

wow york/lancaster gets buried this runSnowman.gif but imo this is probably a bit east as the gfs tends to push noreasters east around this time range...hopefully it shifts west to get everyone else some significant snow. if the euro holds from it's 00z run(relatively), i think that it's safe to say the gfs solution is too far east just due to the fact that it was such a radical shift from 6z.

wow york/lancaster gets buried this runSnowman.gif but imo this is probably a bit east as the gfs tends to push noreasters east around this time range...hopefully it shifts west to get everyone else some significant snow. if the euro holds from it's 00z run(relatively), i think that it's safe to say the gfs solution is too far east just due to the fact that it was such a radical shift from 6z.

tell you the truth and this means little, but my first thought was wow, how classic. This is the time when the GFS shifts the big one east and corrects later. See about that, of course.

Except right along the coast, yes

I don't like that depiction on the GFS. Well, as depicted now, I do, but isn't that more of a Miller B look to it? And if so, we haven't done so well with them this year...

I'm thinking it's a Miller B going by how much QPF has been shaved off to our south. Last night Richmond was getting arks ready, now they are barely at .25". If this ends up being a Miller B, you can't help but think this will end up much better in New England than around these parts.

And there is quite the sharp cutoff to the precipitation. I would rather see a storm like the GFS this morning.

That's kind of what I was referring to...if this in fact is a Miller B, there are going to be a lot of people that get shafted in this set up.

Look, last year just about every storm depicted on models 5 days out were burying the south. We needed a north trend to get us good snows, and at least here in southern PA, we got it just about every time. This year, the track as modeled 4-5 days out has been much further north where we don't want a north trend, but it's been happening anyway. I loved the runs from the GFS and Euro last night, but on this run of the GFS, I feel very uneasy. That cutoff isn't very far south of us as it stands now...

Its been a really squally day so far today here, and also in Altoona as well. The overnight storm total snowfall at my house ended up being the 3.4 i reported last night.. and again at 6 in the morning (CTP didn't have it in the PNS for some reason). At any rate the squalls that came through this morning probably put down another inch or so, though with the wind today its hard to measure. Temps and wind chills are fairly brutal as well.

I don't see this becoming an I-95 storm. I still think this has a better chance of cutting too far to the west and giving us a wintry mix (what the UKMET is showing) than it does going out to sea. With the ridge axis out west sitting over Seattle by Tuesday/Wednesday, I would be very surprised if it just ejects out to sea.

Is this what you were expecting, this GFS run? Not as wound up?

I was expecting it to go farther east than where it was at overnight, but looking at the ensemble spread, it probably went too far. It's now on the eastern side of the GEFS member spread. I really haven't changed much from where I was at this morning... pending the Euro run in 30 min.

I was expecting it to go farther east than where it was at overnight, but looking at the ensemble spread, it probably went too far. It's now on the eastern side of the GEFS member spread. I really haven't changed much from where I was at this morning... pending the Euro run in 30 min.

Based on the minor freakout in Philly/NY thread and the play-by-play, looks good for up this-a-way.

Archived