12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC Jan 20/21 Obs and Discussion Thread

am19psu

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Places in NW CT and SE NY and NW NJ will likely be hit by the initial WAA from the upper trough and the coastal low while as of now most of the Upton FA outside of maybe Orange county overall will probably miss the WAA precip, that could ultimately make a big difference between alot of 5 inch amounts and 7s.

Although, to be fair, there's also an extra ~500 ft of elevation or so, on average, when you get north of New Milford. That's probably good for another inch or two. (In general, measurements at my parents' place at ~1100ft in Warren run 10-20% above the reports down in the valleys in New Milford, Cornwall, etc... )

It's still somewhat early..but it's RUC time. 12 hr RUC simulated radar suggests it's really trying to tug this northwest.

RUC_255_2011012020_F11_CREF_SURFACE.png

The ruc also put me under a superband for last week's storm but obviously that didn't happen. I think it has a tendency to be too far north and/or west.

The ruc also put me under a superband for last week's storm but obviously that didn't happen. I think it has a tendency to be too far north and/or west.

It is, especially deeper in its range, its usually okay inside 6-8 hours more...I followed it in the Plains and MW yesterday and it showed the heavy snow well too far north in many cases beyond 8 hours.

I'd be careful forecasting higher amounts near the coast and closer to the high QPF. I think the higher amounts are going to come out of Northern New Jersey, Southeast New York or Connecticut. The ratios are cut down dramatically near the coast on the BUFKIT soundings and with good reason. There's a very small but effective warm layer around 925mb on all of the forecast soundings that runs along the Jersey Shore to about the Southeast end of Monmouth County and the re-appears over the Southeast shore of Long Island.

The snow growth and omega is lined up much better over NJ, SE NY, and CT..and most of those areas have very favorable dendritic growth. I think that's where we're going to see the higher amounts despite the lower QPF.

I'd be careful forecasting higher amounts near the coast and closer to the high QPF. I think the higher amounts are going to come out of Northern New Jersey, Southeast New York or Connecticut. The ratios are cut down dramatically near the coast on the BUFKIT soundings and with good reason. There's a very small but effective warm layer around 925mb on all of the forecast soundings that runs along the Jersey Shore to about the Southeast end of Monmouth County and the re-appears over the Southeast shore of Long Island.

The snow growth and omega is lined up much better over NJ, SE NY, and CT..and most of those areas have very favorable dendritic growth. I think that's where we're going to see the higher amounts despite the lower QPF.

From the way you described the warm layer I assume NYC is not affected by it? Isn't the Jersey shore going to have less precip anyway? The places where I would be worries would be the east end of Long Island but they always manage to just fine.

From the way you described the warm layer I assume NYC is not affected by it? Isn't the Jersey shore going to have less precip anyway? The places where I would be worries would be the east end of Long Island but they always manage to just fine.

It doesn't get near New York City, at least not on the 18z NAM.

Here's the 925mb progression on the NAM. Is this especially concerning? No..but it's something to watch and reason to keep the higher totals away from the coast and the higher QPF. The 0c line runs along the NJ Coast as I posted above..and then moves northeast over Suffolk County. I would be obliged to forecast higher totals north and west with better snow growth and a more supportive temp column. Courtesy to SV on these maps.

post-6-0-89817700-1295561970.png

post-6-0-58824400-1295561985.png

Archived