• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NYC Jan 20/21 Obs and Discussion Thread

am19psu

He means a thin layer of warm air at a specific height in the atmosphere. In this case it looks like 925mb at least based on the posted map.

Correct. It's a nose of warm air advection that's bringing temperatures above freezing around 925mb..and it's also pretty warm at the surface.

We saw a warm nose with the event a few days ago around 925-850mb as well..where the surface was still in the 20's and 30's but the warm air advection punched above freezing temperatures into that area..changing many people over to sleet.

This one is thin and shallow..but could cause problems. We shall see. :snowman:

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct. It's a nose of warm air advection that's bringing temperatures above freezing around 925mb..and it's also pretty warm at the surface.

We saw a warm nose with the event a few days ago around 925-850mb as well..where the surface was still in the 20's and 30's but the warm air advection punched above freezing temperatures into that area..changing many people over to sleet.

This one is thin and shallow..but could cause problems. We shall see. :snowman:

Looks like it stays away from the south shore of Nassau County, although the temps would be borderline.

This has not really been an eastern LI year. Jackpot totals are west of the city..

The place to be on Long Island this year has been from eastern Nassau to central Suffolk. The area got good snowfalls from both storms.... eastern Nassau got 20 inches in the first event and 15 inches in the second; central Suffolk got the opposite.

Warm nose or no nose, lets hope we can get our repective 2 - 2.5 inches to break 40" for the Season. Mt. Holly doesn't seem too concerned about warming this far north (Monmouth Co.) but... these north jogs every run and RUC are a bit concerning?

I think the usual suspects up to about Belmar/se Monmouth will have their issues, but I'm not too worried for our areas of Monmouth, especially by me. I'm more concerned that we don't get the heaviest qpf more than anything. 4" sounds good for us

http://www.examiner.com/weather-in-newark/final-update-on-tonight-s-snowstorm-with-map-included-brace-for-the-cold

The place to be on Long Island this year has been from eastern Nassau to central Suffolk. The area got good snowfalls from both storms.... eastern Nassau got 20 inches in the first event and 15 inches in the second; central Suffolk got the opposite.

I'm in riverhead, not really far eastern LI,but far enough....Just thought I'd clear that up. We actually did pretty well with both storms.

At work, so don't have the capability of uploading my map:

3-6 for SE NY, NYC, LI and N NJ. CT is under 3-6, but highlighted eastern CT, especially tolland /windham counties as closer to 5-7, maybe locally 8". 4-6 is the call for Danbury. Climo and trends favor ther best banding across inland CT and NEward into eastern MA. eastern LI will probably be on the low end of 3-6

This storm I think could be one of those which surprises one way or the other in that its got hit potential to not follow the current guidance by going well north or south of where forecast...I could see this doing exactly that, winding up so far north NYC sees 2 inches or south where it was modeled yesterday and alot of these high amounts in CT and SE NY bust severely.

At work, so don't have the capability of uploading my map:

3-6 for SE NY, NYC, LI and N NJ. CT is under 3-6, but highlighted eastern CT, especially tolland /windham counties as closer to 5-7, maybe locally 8". 4-6 is the call for Danbury. Climo and trends favor ther best banding across inland CT and NEward into eastern MA. eastern LI will probably be on the low end of 3-6

When do you expect the accumulating snow to leave the city and immediate suburbs? Around 8 am or so?

I think the usual suspects up to about Belmar/se Monmouth will have their issues, but I'm not too worried for our areas of Monmouth, especially by me. I'm more concerned that we don't get the heaviest qpf more than anything. 4" sounds good for us

http://www.examiner....ce-for-the-cold

Yes, RGEM has us just inside its .40 -10mm sweet spot. So I'm gonna hug that one.

This storm I think could be one of those which surprises one way or the other in that its got hit potential to not follow the current guidance by going well north or south of where forecast...I could see this doing exactly that, winding up so far north NYC sees 2 inches or south where it was modeled yesterday and alot of these high amounts in CT and SE NY bust severely.

I could see us getting less than the 4-6 being forecast, but probably not more than that, even if it goes south.

I could see us getting less than the 4-6 being forecast, but probably not more than that, even if it goes south.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/2000/us0113.php

This is the one that always gives me nightmares when I forecast for these events...the pattern was different but it was a La Nina event that went well north of where it was expected...NYC was forecast to get 3-6 inches...we got rain...Cooperstown and Oneonta saw 8-12 inches of snow.

http://www.meteo.psu...2000/us0113.php

This is the one that always gives me nightmares when I forecast for these events...the pattern was different but it was a La Nina event that went well north of where it was expected...NYC was forecast to get 3-6 inches...we got rain...Cooperstown and Oneonta saw 8-12 inches of snow.

1/22/05 was a nightmare for me personally because the clipper that spawned the coastal system was supposed to track through KY and VA, and have its heaviest stripe of snow go roughly through I-80. Instead, it was closer to I-90 and the 10-15" forecast for me in State College turned to 5" at the end. One of the wickedest dryslots I can ever remember. It went from almost blinding snow to broken clouds in 20 minutes.

Of course, Long Beach had over 15" and the flagpole in front of my house blew down.

The 18z GFS also takes the low over NYC, so I think that aided in the warm nose punching further north, but every other model has this basically 3-6" for most areas, and less for areas with warmer air involved.

the low from hour 12-18 goes from extreme south central PA to just SE of montauk. Doesn't really come very close to being on top of NYC but your point about the warm nose is true, but even on the GFS it doesn't make it far enough north to introduce mixing concerns for anyone but immediate coastal areas in suffolk and monmouth

the low from hour 12-18 goes from extreme south central PA to just SE of montauk. Doesn't really come very close to being on top of NYC but your point about the warm nose is true, but even on the GFS it doesn't make it far enough north to introduce mixing concerns for anyone but immediate coastal areas in suffolk and monmouth

Oh, I saw a big 1008mb low over NYC. lol but I'm looking forward to this mini-event.

Guest stormchaser

Also, for the very little that it's worth...the RUC gives us a few hours of heaven later tonight.

1ref_sfc_f15.png

Has some very heavy stuff right over me here in Elizabeth(kean)... seems to be a trend for this area this year

Archived