12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC Jan 20/21 Obs and Discussion Thread

am19psu

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next week storm has its own thread, and i cant believe the word historic is being thrown around already.

Anyway, does anyone think we might get watches or warnings? there is a potential for 6" imo

I do. I would put the likelihood at roughly 1 chance in 3. NWS Albany is calling for 4-8" for its southern zones, partly due to ratios in excess of 15:1. I think their WSW criteria is more stringent than counties bordering to the south. So not out of the question counties in NNJ, SENY, and SWCT go to warnings later this evening. But whether we are warned or advised doesn't change how much snow we will be getting.

THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS UP FOR TONIGHT AND FRIDAY

MORNING FOR THE ENTIRE CWA. ALL MODELS IN AGREEMENT WITH AN AREA OF

LOW PRESSURE TRACKING THROUGH THE MIDDLE ATLANTIC REGION OVERNIGHT

TO SOUTH OF LONG ISLAND BY 12Z AND EVENTUALLY EAST OF CAPE COD BY

18Z. MODEL GUIDANCE IN DECENT AGREEMENT WITH QPF VALUES BETWEEN 0.30

AND 0.50 INCHES. ONE EXCEPTION IS THE 20/12Z NAM...WHICH IS GIVING

THE CWA AN AVERAGE OF 0.60 INCHES. THIS SEEMS TO BE AN OUTLIER AND

WILL DISCOUNT AT THIS TIME. HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED TO FALL

BETWEEN 06Z AND 12Z. WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW EXPECTED THROUGH THIS

TIME FRAME...EXPECT A DIFFICULT FRIDAY MORNING COMMUTE DURING RUSH

HOUR. THE LOW QUICKLY MOVES OFF TO THE EAST FRIDAY MORNING WITH THE

PRECIPITATION QUICKLY ENDING BETWEEN 13Z AND 18Z FROM WEST TO EAST.

WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE A TOTAL AVERAGE SNOWFALL OF 3 TO 5 INCHES

IS EXPECTED...WITH FEW LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS TO 6 INCHES POSSIBLE.

I don't think the depiction is historic. Blizzard of 96, PDII, etc those are historic storms. This is 1-1.25" liquid with a 998mb surface low. Major? Yes. Awesome? Yes. Historic? No

yeah, it takes over 30 hours to get an inch of liquid, so its not like its going to be white out conditions.

Its all silly talk anyway as this storm is in fantasy land and the euro is on its own.

Look at h5. It does look quite historic. The surface maps do not do it justice.

Not to me. I've been tracking for 15 years and comparatively these upper level charts do not register anywhere near the historic ones. Just a simple difference of opinion.

That said, I am VERY encouraged by the Euro. Another major threat to track off in the distance with one right on our doorstep. Keep em coming.

I do. I would put the likelihood at roughly 1 chance in 3. NWS Albany is calling for 4-8" for its southern zones, partly due to ratios in excess of 15:1. I think their WSW criteria is more stringent than counties bordering to the south. So not out of the question counties in NNJ, SENY, and SWCT go to warnings later this evening. But whether we are warned or advised doesn't change how much snow we will be getting.

yeah agree, they mention 6" possible in isolated areas but there is not enough confidence in those numbers being widespread to issue warnings. Either way, 3-6" is a solid call and a solid snowstorm.

Guest stormchaser

those are BIBLICAL storms...not HISTORIC. maybe we just have different meanings of it. but whatever, its pointless now.

In all seriousness are you high?

Not to me. I've been tracking for 15 years and comparatively these upper level charts do not register anywhere near the historic ones. Just a simple difference of opinion.

That said, I am VERY encouraged by the Euro. Another major threat to track off in the distance with one right on our doorstep. Keep em coming.

agreed!

those are BIBLICAL storms...not HISTORIC. maybe we just have different meanings of it. but whatever, its pointless now.

Lol a biblical storm should be one which shuts down power for weeks, the likes of which we probably will never see again given modern day snow removal technology. The blizzard of 88 was biblical...people have been talking about it for years and years. Do you think people will be talking about a 30 hr storm during which it snowed moderately up and down the east coast? Come on now.

Guest stormchaser

Agree,

A winter storm warning will be overkill.

Winter weather advisory is the right thing.

Average QPF would equate to a 3"-6" type snowfall. If someone gets 7", its not a WSW criteria storm.

Exactly, there is little potential for anyone to go over 6" so why issue the warnings? With most models showing snow lasting only about 5-7 hours this is definitely a solid snowstorm but an advisory one.

litchield county under wsw for 5-10" new haven and fairfield wwa for 3-5" not very good collaboration between offices

models have the precip coming into the north part of CT earlier before the coastal takes over so they will see more precip. Not sure what collaboration has to do with it.

Then we can agree to disagree, but alls I know is that second part you wrote there looks mighty fine to me. :thumbsup:

Lol a biblical storm should be one which shuts down power for weeks, the likes of which we probably will never see again given modern day snow removal technology. The blizzard of 88 was biblical...people have been talking about it for years and years. Do you think people will be talking about a 30 hr storm during which it snowed moderately up and down the east coast? Come on now.

if a big section of the EC gets 15+++" then yes, i think it is.

and last time i checked BECS or HECS had NOTHING to do with whether or not people talk about the storm for the next 30yrs.

models have the precip coming into the north part of CT earlier before the coastal takes over so they will see more precip. Not sure what collaboration has to do with it.

Places in NW CT and SE NY and NW NJ will likely be hit by the initial WAA from the upper trough and the coastal low while as of now most of the Upton FA outside of maybe Orange county overall will probably miss the WAA precip, that could ultimately make a big difference between alot of 5 inch amounts and 7s.

if you wanna make smart comments you should really know what you are talking about.. the models include northern fairfield and northern new haven in that initial band that maybe gives one to two hours of extra snow (its not going to give litchfielf county 5 extra inches).. and 3-5" is a big difference from 5-10" when talking about southbury ct (new haven) and litchfield ct (litchfield). if you look at the qpf for litchfield county and northern new haven county they are exactly the same so get your facts straight..

Archived