amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Threat Jan 25-28th time fram. Possible Miller A

IsentropicLift

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and remember, the GGEM has over-phased both the 1/12 and 1/21 (yes, that's today!) storms in the D4-5 range. It's like a new bias this year. This is probably where we want to see the GGEM Op.

Thats actually a more typical tendency of the GGEM. The earlier storms this year where the GGEm was progressive was most likely due to the strong blocking and its handling. Perhaps now with less blocking it is back to its more usual biases.

FYI, with respect to the GGEM, the 972 mb low is the 500 mb low. It seems that the surface maps aren't available yet. I suspect that the surface low is to the east of the 500 mb low. Whether it's on the Cape/southeast New England or just offshore remains to be seen.

972mb is a pretty high pressure for 18000 feet :P

500mb lows are usually notated in decameter heights. Makes me feel better about all the silly things I've said without double checking. Thanks :guitar:

Heard a few people mentioning that it tracks to Albany. It actually looks a bit east of there to me - in Vermont. Not a hopelessly inland solution IMO.

comparing the nam at 84 and the gfs at 84. Nam is stronger with the ridging over the 50/50 low which is a plus for it but slower with the energy coming out of the west which makes it a slower solution whereas the GFS is weaker with the ridging but faster with the ejection of the energy.

Just dont buy the GGEM in this pattern. I beleive HPC had discounted it if not last night yesterday during the day for its timing and the way it was handling the energy ejection.

just look at this past storm and how it performed with it. It showed a more amplified system run after run in the medium-long range. It always seems to be the most amplified solution in regards to coastal lows.

The OP is a cold outlier. It's going to be hard to keep the entire column below freezing unless we get an offshore track.

well the column certainly wouldnt be below freezing with an onshore track, and its not an outlier, there are members that support it and members which are further east.

I am not even sure what you are talking about?

Have you seen the guidance for 12 Z so far? GFS op is an outlier to its own means in the sense that its faster and its further to the east. The means are clearly more amped up ..correct? They are clearly more west..correct? The GGEM is also clearly more AMPED up then the GFS. The UKMET is also clearly more amped then the GFS.

So it seems pretty clear on the 12 Z Guidance so far that we are looking at a more amped western solution and this has been the trend so far this winter season and it is supported by the pattern that we are in as well.

So far the evolution of the OP GFS is all alone.....

Relax, man-- of course he's seen the guidance, because he works at NCEP and actually runs the model.

I am not even sure what you are talking about?

Have you seen the guidance for 12 Z so far? GFS op is an outlier to its own means in the sense that its faster and its further to the east. The means are clearly more amped up ..correct? They are clearly more west..correct? The GGEM is also clearly more AMPED up then the GFS. The UKMET is also clearly more amped then the GFS.

So it seems pretty clear on the 12 Z Guidance so far that we are looking at a more amped western solution and this has been the trend so far this winter season and it is supported by the pattern that we are in as well.

So far the evolution of the OP GFS is all alone.....

not many storms except the 12/26 have been this ampd.. so to say it's a pattern would be incorrect. If your talking a few mb here or there, i can see that. but you have to be careful when your talking about bombing the low... that hasnt been the norm..

Archived