e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Threat Jan 25-28th time fram. Possible Miller A

IsentropicLift

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seasonal trends are so important here. So far we have seen strong 50/50 lows that, unlike last year, move up into a favorable position for the NYC area. Additionally, the HP's have been strong, cold, and slow to move out, but not overly cold and dry ala 12/19. Also, we have seen the storms take basically the same track over and over in response to the beautiful thermal gradient off the coast.

Excelent post. Again the GFS at 4-5 days out is still like throwing a dart but seasonal trends are very important here and the downstream development is very key and is what we should watch as thedays roll forward. Hopefully we can get to Monday with similar solutions on all the models with slight insignificant (i.e. still giving snow to everyone not rain) wobbles all across the board.

Never want to be in the jackpot 5 days out on the GFS. I'll enjoy it while it shows it...

Normally I would agree with you on this statement, however, these powerhouse type storms almost always provide us with a strong signal many days in advance like this. So I'm thinking this is a good thing. Think Snow!! :snowman:

the solution is very viable IMO. let the mets or knowledgable weenies discuss it but we have to realize the off shore Low, which is becoming better sampled, that moves into the Canadian maritines is KEY imo. its what strengthens up there and forms into a brief 50/50 that keeps the H from moving out. this is why an inland track, which was shown for a few runs, now CANT happen.

Can an expert comment on whether this solution is even viable... I think many of us amateurs are in shock a bit!

One positive. GFS and Euro both have major snow storm even though the storm evolution is a little different. Last nights Euro dug the northern stream much further SW..

Did any of the components responsible for this incredible depiction come on land or in better obs range for the 12z? Or is this just a case of a perfectly phased (albeit unlikely) operational run. It seems that many of the models began a gradual shift east since 0z last night, just wondering what might be the reason.

Did any of the components responsible for this incredible depiction come on land or in better obs range for the 12z? Or is this just a case of a perfectly phased (albeit unlikely) operational run. It seems that many of the models began a gradual shift east since 0z last night, just wondering what might be the reason.

Rumor has it they have been doing aircraft drops over the PAC. The GFS works this time because its fast. Its not digging the H5 to the GOM and not taking three days to come up ala the UKMET which is still showing an inland bomb today at 12z and is over a day slower than the GFS.

I posted earlier today that the srefs and NAM both appear to be on the fast track which is what will make (or break if they are wrong) this storm.

Lock this up now. This is the euro from yesterday but stronger and colder. The storm off the south coast tomorrow goes up into the atlantci and forms a beautiful 50/50 which works with the NAO to help trap in the HP. First time I can remember an east based NAO helping out, LOL. What a run.

This year everything seems to be working. The NAO could be negative in the southern hemisphere (in which case it would be the SAO) and it would still work in our favor. :snowman::thumbsup::gun_bandana:

Rumor has it they have been doing aircraft drops over the PAC. The GFS works this time because its fast. Its not digging the H5 to the GOM and not taking three days to come up ala the UKMET which is still showing an inland bomb today at 12z and is over a day slower than the GFS.

I posted earlier today that the srefs and NAM both appear to be on the fast track which is what will make (or break if they are wrong) this storm.

Thanks for the explanation and forgive me if this sounds simplistic, but do you think the models had a hard time resolving what to do with the energy in the SW because the low still hadn't formed off the EC from the storm that just passed?

seems a little too fast. It's also in it's usual bias mode wrt speed of short waves and pushing things off the east coast too far south.

I wonder if the new information ingested had something to do with this. Also, if the euro swings around to this depiction. If so, you can say its a case of the OP coming more into line with its ensembles as this was what the ensembles were indicating the last couple of days. Cant wait for the GEFS to come out!

The difference here is the difference at H5 during the 12Z's 96-102 hour time frame. Watch as it evolves through the beginning of overrunning and beyond.

6Z:

gfs_500_114s.gif

12Z:

gfs_500_108s.gif

The main H5 low rounds the base of the trough around N NC and prepares to exit off the Jersey coastline with the 12Z depiction rather than the intense digging shown at 6Z which has the vort rounding the base around Atlanta. It's like we all said before--you DON'T want a bomb with this upper air setup. You want a less robust system that cuts off

gfs_500_120s.gif

and takes off on it's own, therefore the stalling action for New England. Just make sure that if this solution is the one you want that the vort coming behind stays weaker and doesn't kick it out. THAT'S how this solution happens. The 12Z moves the vort, closed, across the Midwest and doesn't allow it to dig as much as the 6Z's open, more digging, and in the end, more amplified depiction.

But it was way slow last night I think and the speed does seem to play better vs its enembles and the euro ensembles

A mid ground between last night's 6z and today's 12z may be best. I just can't see it being as far offshore as the 12z has it @ 114 with the nao the way it is.

I wonder if the new information ingested had something to do with this. Also, if the euro swings around to this depiction. If so, you can say its a case of the OP coming more into line with its ensembles as this was what the ensembles were indicating the last couple of days. Cant wait for the GEFS to come out!

If the PAC recons are indeed out there, it's possible. Or it's just another solution ala GFS.

A mid ground between last night's 6z and today's 12z may be best. I just can't see it being as far offshore as the 12z has it @ 114 with the nao the way it is.

well, I don't think the NAO is as bad as it could be. The 50/50 is def. pulling in ridging from the 570 heights east of greenland.

Archived