12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 24-25th threat

Cheeznado

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the high strenghtens enough , with a thicker layer of cold damming, some areas could end up with more sleet than ZR. The high is shown to be strengthening as it progresses across the Lakes and into CAD position. Models don't usually show CAD very well this far out, and if the 5H setup is real, (with the strong eastern CAN low) then the CAD signature would grow with time. Its really been a while since we've had a good, true hardcore CAD event.

Yep....probably Dec 2005

The strength between the two is mostly irrelevant and it's not a matter of the low "overcoming" the high. For starters, The high is very far to the north so it doesn't take a lot to interrupt the low level flow. Likewise with that low so far to the east, it effects the gradient between the high and our low to the south. Normally when you see a 1036mb high, there is a pretty strong cad signature in the pressure field between it and the low to our south. But look below and you can see a rather defuse and ill defined signature..especially considering the strength of that high. There should be a better defined signature in the pressure field than that but it isn't because the low is causing it.

The bottom line is, Either the high needs to come further south or that low needs to be further southwest for us to truly get a classic cad event imo.

Thanks Lookout. That makes sense to me. Unfortunately, given all the energy in the flow, I think that low is likely to exist. Hopefully, it will trend a bit farther west or southwest. Also, it seems likely that the high will be pretty far north, as that is where the best confluence sets up. It may trend stronger though. I think there's a decent shot at that...more so than it moving south.

If the high strenghtens enough , with a thicker layer of cold damming, some areas could end up with more sleet than ZR. The high is shown to be strengthening as it progresses across the Lakes and into CAD position. Models don't usually show CAD very well this far out, and if the 5H setup is real, (with the strong eastern CAN low) then the CAD signature would grow with time. Its really been a while since we've had a good, true hardcore CAD event.

this event is looking a bit more interesting (and will look even better) if the CAD signature starts behaving as it should lol. as long as the high stays 1035 or higher my confidence level will build. it would be nice to track one of these again, although i could do with out the damaging ice (lets get snow, then a little ice on top like last time. then we can add another week to our snow on teh ground :devilsmiley: )

The weather weenie in me is just fascinated by the fact that we are likely going to continue to be cold overall, but by completely different atmosphere means (indices) than the first half of winter. You know you are a weather nerd when stuff like that fascinates you...haha.

And yes, Robert, it does seem like forever since we had a true, honest-to-goodness, winter weather-producing CAD event.

its been over 5 years here (dec 2005)

This system (Monday into Tuesday) definitely has my attention. I talked about it a good bit in the video and discussion today, linked in the sig below.

Interesting stuff, if the UKMET, Canadian, and Euro are right, this has the look of one of our old-school cold air damming winter weather events.

Just got done watching, which made me swing by the forum to see if there's a thread on this system and sure enough! Nice videos, you hit about everything all they way to the ridging in the west, good stuff.

I'm hoping as we get closer this CAD only amplifies as it looks pretty good already. Should be interesting to watch the next few days for sure.

this event is looking a bit more interesting (and will look even better) if the CAD signature starts behaving as it should lol. as long as the high stays 1035 or higher my confidence level will build. it would be nice to track one of these again, although i could do with out the damaging ice (lets get snow, then a little ice on top like last time. then we can add another week to our snow on teh ground :devilsmiley: )

its been over 5 years here (dec 2005)

What happened in Dec 2005? Ice storm? I don't remember that for CLT. I think I remember one limited to the mountains. For Charlotte I think you'd have to go back to 2002. And I'm not sure whether or not that was a CAD event or not. Just lots of ice.

Not really, the GGEM/EURO show that low up north which is a ruiner for everyone. This reminds me of winters of the past, where there is always something that puts a kink in things.

I was going by Matthew East's blog this morning, which said the European, Canadian, and UKMET show something wintry while the GFS shoed rain.

The only thing different I saw with the 12Z GFS was the warm air came in and it changed to rain later i think. It still had the daming signature through some of the system, but as the LOW moved north, it turned to all rain when the cold was pushed out. I can see that happening, it always happens really. Just not cold enough on the GFS.

It looks to me like the GGEM is setting up for a doozy of a storm at 144hrs. It doesn't look anything like the euro or the GFS. It actually brings the northern stream shortwave through and leaves our southern energy behind to create potential for a monster later on...

Edit: Actually I'm wrong in that analysis, it doesn't speed up the northern piece, it actually slows down a northern shortwave out of ahead of our main players which causes the second northern piece to drop down instead of moving due east to towards the great lakes.

It looks to me like the GGEM is setting up for a doozy of a storm at 144hrs. It doesn't look anything like the euro or the GFS. It actually brings the northern stream shortwave through and leaves our southern energy behind to create potential for a monster later on...

I didn't see it past 120 hours yet, but it looked like it minored out the shortwave that the Euro had bringing the storm, and focused on the next s/w. The UKMET is very much like the Euro last night, except not as strong with the eastern Canada low, and allows the surface damming high to start sliding out around 144 hours, but by then the Southeast has had part one of the storm I think, and the next round would be gettting ready to start since the Northern plains low drops due south and begins to draw moisture out of the gulf and over the baroclinic zone. I won't be suprised to see this storm be a good precip maker in the Southeast and southern Plains. If the northern plains low drops just a little more southwest , then I think that would mean more frozen and freezing precip, but as others pointed out the further east it gets the more likely the damming loses its strong grip. IF today's Euro holds on to the strong Canada low, I think it will force everything west and show a major Winter storm for the deep South from Texas to the Carolinas, including much of north half of Dixie.

post-38-0-60189700-1295457023.gif

post-38-0-37225100-1295457007.gif

Archived