12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 24-25th threat

Cheeznado

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The precip coming in finally at 132 for the Carolinas, southern Tenn and Ga looks very light, and the temps aloft are warming, thanks to the strong northern Plains low. That low keeps inching east, and I suspect the models aren't handling it right yet. The damming is still strong hower at 1036 Ecit by 138 the precip is a little heavier, but temps are only freezing aloft in nw NC, however the damming at the surface is still strong.

Looks like I-40 would be in major trouble if this came to fruition.

12z euro is a bit colder at the surface, surface freezing like down into extreme northeast Ga (mountains), 20s in western nc at 132, only light precip. By hour 138, western nc/upstate, possibly extreme northeast Ga is subfreezing with 0.10 to 0.25 amounts. 850mb 0c runs from just north of hky to gso and just south of the va border. Looks like snow/sleet/freezing rain mix in nc, freezing rain in the upstate and extreme ne ga..but amounts are only 0.10 or less in north ga.

Still subfreezing in the same areas at hour 144. Total precip is around 0.25 to 0.50 in nc, and 0.25 or less in nc ga/upstate. Decent winter storm for the damming regions of nc..just a minor event for extreme ne ga/upstate.

The Euro still has a weak coastal at 84, with light precip in eastern Carolinas and now includes coastal GA but the better precip is just offshore. It has some .75" just offshore MYR. By 96 hours, the western system has dug almost to El Paso.

:popcorn:

interesting the EURO is trending toward a coastal surprise on Saturday

Well 12z EURO at 144 the 1038 high is even further east than 0z run, not trending the way we want. Allan's writeup talks about this, I don't see how this is going to pan out to anything worthwhile.

Euro verbatim RDU areas are close to ice..but just a little too warm. Same it looks like for the CLT metro area and points east...though certainly closer for CLT.

I guess the big question is how much precip falls while the High is in position. Its too bad we have all the extra s/w coming in the western part of Canada, or we could have a really good gulf low consolidated.It appears the first s/w dampens out a good bit then gets more lift going in the Southeast as the northern plains low drops south and keeps moisture going over the boundary. The models have had strong damming several runs now , so its probably going to happen, the only question is the amount of moisture. I'd also say the models, esp. the Euro is really bad on surface temps in CAD, it wouldn't suprise me to see temps in the 20's down to very near northeast side of ATL during the precip, esp. the Upstate and NC.

850's only warm to 2.8 here in the height of the precip...mostly sn/ip?

That's going to be too warm for snow. Depending on how thick the the warm layer and surface cold layer is, it could be sleet. But I would think that's probably going to be freezing rain with 850s that warm.

I guess the big question is how much precip falls while the High is in position. Its too bad we have all the extra s/w coming in the western part of Canada, or we could have a really good gulf low consolidated.It appears the first s/w dampens out a good bit then gets more lift going in the Southeast as the northern plains low drops south and keeps moisture going over the boundary. The models have had strong damming several runs now , so its probably going to happen, the only question is the amount of moisture. I'd also say the models, esp. the Euro is really bad on surface temps in CAD, it wouldn't suprise me to see temps in the 20's down to very near northeast side of ATL during the precip, esp. the Upstate and NC.

This looks like a setup for model mayhem. I think it's going to be tough for the models to get a good handle on this since there are a lot of players on the field. Gfs, ggem, and the euro all seem to have a different solution. Probably won't get a good handle on it until we are within a day or two of it.

This looks to be a "typical" ice event in ATL- from the far NE burbs into SC watch out, cold be nasty for a while but even there it will eventually warm up to near freezing before the dry air comes in. At my house in the heart of ATL, temps close to freezing at the start, then barely getting above, which is fine by me since I do not want major ice here.

That's going to be too warm for snow. Depending on how thick the the warm layer and surface cold layer is, it could be sleet. But I would think that's probably going to be freezing rain with 850s that warm.

What I meant was mostly sn/ip vs mostly zr...basically frozen vs freezing. It seems most of my qpf falls before 850's warm significantly.

That being said, the full GFS soundings at 12z were a classic zr sounding.

Chances for a widespread SE winter storm are going down the drain rapidly. Right now, western and west central NC, NW SC and NE GA are game for some snow/ice, but with the precip continuing to be delayed and that high hauling ace on off the coast, insitu is what we'll be left with. No 50-50 and no blocking is going to do this one in. The only thing that will save it is perfect timing, and we are quickly trending the wrong direction for perfect timing.

The trough axis at day 6 is pretty remarkable, about as extreme as i've seen. Moisture would be streaming out of the central gulf due NNE. Pretty incredible if you just look at the upper level features. I think the euro is basically hinting at a big phase job b/n the southern vort sitting over texas day 5 and the incoming wave over the dakotas. If the timing is right this would be a mega storm. JMA has been hinting at this for a while. JMA at day 6 has probably the best cad setup since jan 04.

What happened in Dec 2005? Ice storm? I don't remember that for CLT. I think I remember one limited to the mountains. For Charlotte I think you'd have to go back to 2002. And I'm not sure whether or not that was a CAD event or not. Just lots of ice.

Greenville, SC (and most of Upstate SC) experienced a catastrophic ice storm in Dec 2005.

Here are some interesting front pages from the Greenville News from this historic storm. Fortunately, Duke Power has begun the process of burying major power and residential lines in Upstate SC.

I recall my sister-in-law and her family (who live near downtown Greenville) were without power for one week.

Well the 12z JMA looks OK, 1033 high just west of the lakes but not sure how to read the 500 setup.

it shows a good winter storm in the Southeast, with double barrel high, which would reduce warming aloft. Its probably not right though, but it is being more consistent than Euro. As Lookout stated, so many players on the field and a new one added daily its seems. Model madness for a while, but the "potential" is great for this one if everything falls into place at the right time. I'm afraid many would still be lookng at a good bit of ice, no matter which model.

Archived