12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
PHL Jan 17-19 Snow/Ice/Rain Storm Obs

am19psu

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30.0 degrees and freezing rain continues here in Andover, significant glazing (at least 1/4") on all exposed surfaces and tree limbs. We stayed sleet until about 10AM or so which has kept the icing from being more severe, still an hour or so of precip left and looks like will be below freezing til the end.

Any reports from up near Sussex county? I know they are still below freezing and have had .5" liquid equivalent in the form of freezing rain in just the past 6 hours or so. Must be quite nasty.

Current OBS

RA with some fog (vis ~2 miles)

Temp 34.2 F (and slowly rising - it stayed at 33.8 F for at least an hour or more)

Winds moderate out of the NW

Earlier a fog bank rolled in with vis down to about 1/4 mile. Once the wind direction changed, it lifted to what it is now. The snow is soaking this stuff up like a sponge and if it goes to freezing, it'll be nothing but glaciers. :axe:

Seems that rain/snow line doesn't quite know where to go! :popcorn:

Latest Wxsim timing etc. with the 12z data

Temps currently at 32.6

Temps will slip below freezing by 530pm with areas of spotty freezing drizzle thru the evening

Light ZR will begin again around 1230am tem 29.6

IP begins to mix with the ZR around 530am temp at 30.0

Lt Snow may mix with IP toward 9am as temps rise above freezing

Cloudy in the PM with highs in the upper 30's

Snow beginning late Thursday night accumulating 3 to 5" before ending Friday morning

Single digit temps by Sunday morning

Paul

www.chescowx.com

My sister called me from downtown Philly about 15 minutes ago and said that the rain had stopped where she was and the sun was out! :sun:

I told her that there was still wind-whipped light rain here where I am (which is also near where she lives). Nothing is showing up on the radar... Guess it's maybe a low ceiling blowing through up here in the hills. :unsure::lightning:

Edit - Temp still rising here - @ 34.7 F

My sister called me from downtown Philly about 15 minutes ago and said that the rain had stopped where she was and the sun was out! :sun:

I told her that there was still wind-whipped light rain here where I am (which is also near where she lives). Nothing is showing up on the radar... Guess it's maybe a low ceiling blowing through up here in the hills. :unsure::lightning:

Edit - Temp still rising here - @ 34.7 F

I can confirm the sun was out an blue skies prevailed for a good 15 minutes. It's gone back to dart stratiform clouds now.

Archived