Newest Member
    e46ds1x
PHL Jan 17-19 Snow/Ice/Rain Storm Obs

am19psu

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A solid pack of snow and ice out there

Current Wxsim has temps going above 32 for a couple hours late AM and early PM but then unfortunately back below freezing by around 3pm and staying below freezing till tomorrow morning with some additional lite ZR and even some IP by tomorrow morning. Could be a bad evening commute and then another poor commute tomorrow AM

Some heavier precip approaching on radar

Temp up to 28.4

Wind NNE 3 mph

Currently 19.4 and sleet, about 3" of snow/sleet on ground. Much colder than I thought it would be at this time, don't think we go above freezing by 10AM as was forecast. How close is the freezng rain to southern Sussex County, NJ? Hard for me to tell from the obs I am seeing.

Currently 19.4 and sleet, about 3" of snow/sleet on ground. Much colder than I thought it would be at this time, don't think we go above freezing by 10AM as was forecast. How close is the freezng rain to southern Sussex County, NJ? Hard for me to tell from the obs I am seeing.

I am in Jefferson, I have mostly ZR temp up to 29.3

Goofy ob. of the night......good ol' ASOS :lmao:

KPTW 180912Z AUTO 08007G149KT 3SM FZRA BR SQ BKN008 OVC023 M01/M03 A3005 RMK AO2 PK WND 210149/0906 P0002 $ :arrowhead:

Conditions at: KPTW observed 18 January 2011 09:12 UTC

Temperature: -1.0°C (30°F) Dewpoint: -3.0°C (27°F)

Winds: from the E (80 degrees) at 8 MPH (7 knots; 3.6 m/s)

gusting to 171 MPH (149 knots; 77.5 m/s)

Present Weather: FZRA BR SQ (freezing rain, mist, squal) :lightning:

Currently 63G104 at 210. :whistle:

We might want to get that checked out...

All rain here in Eatontown, NJ since I woke up at 0500. Had about 0.5" inch of snow/ice. Worried about my wife/daughter driving to work from Easton to Allentown and they are leaving shortly.

main roads look basically wet, but side roads may be another story, Slow and steady seems to be the case with traveling today. Good luck.

Like the Wxsim was indicating...JB is hitting tonight and tomorrow (Wed) AM rush as a real potential problem

"BEFORE THE THURSDAY-FRIDAY STORM, WORRY IN I-95 CORRIDOR TOMORROW MORNING!""Obviously, the icy mess after the snow worry was fine in these areas, but something as sinister lurks tomorrow. There is nothing worse than the "minor" event causing major headaches, and this is a tough one. Mets had best beware of the threat of an ambush of black ice followed by a mixed precip event late tonight"

Like the Wxsim was indicating...JB is hitting tonight and tomorrow (Wed) AM rush as a real potential problem

"BEFORE THE THURSDAY-FRIDAY STORM, WORRY IN I-95 CORRIDOR TOMORROW MORNING!""Obviously, the icy mess after the snow worry was fine in these areas, but something as sinister lurks tomorrow. There is nothing worse than the "minor" event causing major headaches, and this is a tough one. Mets had best beware of the threat of an ambush of black ice followed by a mixed precip event late tonight"

Soundings are a bit warm along I-95 itself.

Archived