Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
PHL Jan 17-19 Snow/Ice/Rain Storm Obs

am19psu

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to drive from Newburgh, NY to Nazareth, Pa. this am. Going along 84 down thru Bushkill, stroudsburg area and south. Thinking wice now, 19 deg here with heavy snow and up to .5 of ice later.

Yeah all the schools in Allentown are closed here ..they made the mistake of plowing the roads BEFORE the ice started falling. Which turned them into skating rinks and you have absolutely no traction now...

Yeah all the schools in Allentown are closed here ..they made the mistake of plowing the roads BEFORE the ice started falling. Which turned them into skating rinks and you have absolutely no traction now...

Not a good move to plow that snow off. Commute will be dangerous. Ground temps are cold too. This stuff will freeze up quick.

Not saying it's the case with this storm, because it's a totally different animal, but if you don't plow the snow/sleet off the roads, you run the risk of a VD07 repeat. Even the roads that remained open had a 1-2 inch ice pack on them that took days to completely melt off. Anyway, temps are rising fast now as I'm up to 24.9 now. Still a bit to go to get above 32, but they're on the move.

Center city PHL is a mess. One giant glazed donut. Had to drive GF to the airport and 95 was barely treated. Side streets are bascially 2 inches of chopped up snow with a .1 inch coating of frozen rain on top. Temp slowly nosing above 32 but it is in no apparent rush- that is for sure.

It's a mess out there. Wait till it rains for a few hours if you really have to go anywhere and don't have a subaru monster. Everyhbody besides me was slippin in the city.

Not saying it's the case with this storm, because it's a totally different animal, but if you don't plow the snow/sleet off the roads, you run the risk of a VD07 repeat. Even the roads that remained open had a 1-2 inch ice pack on them that took days to completely melt off. Anyway, temps are rising fast now as I'm up to 24.9 now. Still a bit to go to get above 32, but they're on the move.

The difference is, tomorrow will be near 40 degrees.

Goofy ob. of the night......good ol' ASOS :lmao:

KPTW 180912Z AUTO 08007G149KT 3SM FZRA BR SQ BKN008 OVC023 M01/M03 A3005 RMK AO2 PK WND 210149/0906 P0002 $ :arrowhead:

Conditions at: KPTW observed 18 January 2011 09:12 UTC

Temperature: -1.0°C (30°F) Dewpoint: -3.0°C (27°F)

Winds: from the E (80 degrees) at 8 MPH (7 knots; 3.6 m/s)

gusting to 171 MPH (149 knots; 77.5 m/s)

Present Weather: FZRA BR SQ (freezing rain, mist, squal) :lightning:

For what its worth, looking back at the 12z GFS/NAM from yesterday, here are the temps. they forecasted at PTW. GFS was actually too cold around here and the NAM more in line. While the PTW airport is reading 32 now (at 6am) I think its ASOS is messed up (it reported a gust over 100mph a little earlier) but in my neck of the woods, about 5 miles from the airport its currently about 30 degrees....

POTTSTOWN/LIMERICK

KPTW GFS MOS GUIDANCE

12z-27

15z-30

18z-33

vs.

12Z NAM MOS GUIDANCE

12z-31

15z-33

18z-35

For what its worth, looking back at the 12z GFS/NAM from yesterday, here are the temps. they forecasted at PTW. GFS was actually too cold around here and the NAM more in line. While the PTW airport is reading 32 now (at 6am) I think its ASOS is messed up (it reported a gust over 100mph a little earlier) but in my neck of the woods, about 5 miles from the airport its currently about 30 degrees....

Philly is running colder than both the NAM and GFS from 0z but the NAM is the colder of the two for 7 AM (34 NAM, 35 GFS on the raw data). Probably will be 32 at PHL at 7 AM.

Current Obs

East Nantmeal Twp

Chester County PA

Lite ZR

Total storm SN and IP - 2..0"

Temp 27.9

RH 97%

DP 27.2

Wind NNE 4 gusts 6mph

Have not been out but can see icicles hanging from windows....trees drooping a bit but the snow before the change seems to have helped them out a bit

Out for some obs shortly

Archived