• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 19-21 MW/GL/OV Storm Potential

snowlover2

Thanks for the visual. I would assume the later phasing is also keeping this storm further south? If there wasnt any left over confluence in the NE, would that allow for an earlier phase or would the storm still likely slide to our south?

probalby not an earlier phase but it would probably head a little more northeast and bring precip with it further north

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

meh, still has a 50/50 shot at being our biggest 24 hr event. 4+

We will see. Still have 3 main models to look at. Just based on the winter for us thus far 2-4" would be the safe call.. Unless I see something that says otherwise, that's what Id go with. I can't buy the NAM by itself, so let's see the rest of the model runs..

It isn't what i expected early in the winter base on long range calls, but the models have been fine.

yea this winter was supposed to be an upper midwest and lakes bonanza....ouch. To me, the most disappointing aspect is the absolute lack of any decent looking system developing west of the apps. Nothing but sloppy, cluster f*cks, with several low centers until they get together over the MA and NE coasts.

We will see. Still have 3 main models to look at. Just based on the winter for us thus far 2-4" would be the safe call.. Unless I see something that says otherwise, that's what Id go with. I can't buy the NAM by itself, so let's see the rest of the model runs..

To me, this is a repeat of last week. NAM is overdone, EC is slightly high, GFS right on the money. I'd say 2-3" is the way to go.

probalby not an earlier phase but it would probably head a little more northeast and bring precip with it further north

So many ingredients. Makes you appreciate the snow even more when it does come. Would be nice if these storms came into the SW. It seems the energy stays together and a stronger low comes out of the four corners more often than when it comes out of the NW. I'll pass on phasing. We are batting .000 with potential phasing. While the EC has had 2 storms they aren't doing any better at the plate.

Other than showing one thing and as we progress along diverging from that solution? Alek come on now you know the models have been far from fine this winter.

I'm not sure what's shocking about models progressively adjusting their solutions as we approach an event. The writing was on the all with this one 2 days ago and the models have done a fine job aside from a couple of minor timing issues which game borderline folks some hope, but they've been pretty consistent with the big picture. In fact thinking back on the year, i can't think of a single major model bust IMBY.

I'm not sure what's shocking about models progressively adjusting their solutions as we approach an event. The writing was on the all with this one 2 days ago and the models have done a fine job aside from a couple of minor timing issues which game borderline folks some hope, but they've been pretty consistent with the big picture. In fact thinking back on the year, i can't think of a single major model bust IMBY.

Well your backyard is one location, I am talking region wide.

they've been horrendous longrange....say 5 days plus. Debatable inside of that. Handling of the mythical arctic intrusion is a perfect example

they've been horrendous longrange....say 5 days plus. Debatable inside of that. Handling of the mythical arctic intrusion is a perfect example

This, and I'm not saying just for the bad either, we had a storm here that ended up being much better because a low formed in Western Lake Erie that was forecasted only about 12 hours before it occurred.

Who in the their right mind takes a D5+ solution seriously anyways, they're fluid and you watch the trends. As for this season, I can't think of a single bust either way, legit threats materialized as modeled and low probability events, missed wide. If you've payed attention to models and factored in a couple seasonal trends, it's been pretty easy to see what's going to happen within a reasonable time frame.

That said, they're will always be scenarios were small changes can lead to drastic wx difference within a small geographic area, but they happen every year.

Yeah, all in all the models have been pretty good, which is amazing considering how unusual our pattern is.

Of course we should naturally expect them to do their minor cha-cha's, but with every storm this season they haven't steered away from a general solution (by "general", I mean they consistently show one area getting something without any major NW/SE shifts). No sane person can deny they have been on top of things with these east coast storms (in a strong La Nina no less), and they handled the Octobomb and the other midewst cutters earlier this season execptionally well.

This, and I'm not saying just for the bad either, we had a storm here that ended up being much better because a low formed in Western Lake Erie that was forecasted only about 12 hours before it occurred.

Last line is one positive for a lot of us. This is by no means a lock. I won't trust a solution outside of 24hrs this winter. Still plenty of time for things to change, for better or worse.

Eh, if this thing turns into crap on a stick for here...so be it. It's weather...and sometimes it sucks. At least, hopefully the areas farther south in MO, IL, IN, KY, and OH get in on some good stuff. :)

For me personally I like to know WHY this & that went wrong and what can happen for it to go right next time instead of saying "oh well, it's weather and it sucks, better luck next time."

It takes the fun out of it otherwise, at least for me.

Who in the their right mind takes a D5+ solution seriously anyways, they're fluid and you watch the trends. As for this season, I can't think of a single bust either way, legit threats materialized as modeled and low probability events, missed wide. If you've payed attention to models and factored in a couple seasonal trends, it's been pretty easy to see what's going to happen within a reasonable time frame.

That said, they're will always be scenarios were small changes can lead to drastic wx difference within a small geographic area, but they happen every year.

def agree for MBY

very easy winter to call

no major busts other than typical 5 day out ones

For me personally I like to know WHY this & that went wrong and what can happen for it to go right next time instead of saying "oh well, it's weather and it sucks, better luck next time."

It takes the fun out of it otherwise, at least for me.

To each his own. But quite frankly, I think you know why this thing is turning out the way it is. Pretty simple...no phase, northern domination...etc, etc.

Archived